GPS Testing NOTAM

Hang 4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Hang 4
Has anyone been up during one of these tests? There's one near Savannah GA this week and I'll be flying during the time it's supposed to be in effect. I'm not worried about navigating without a magenta line, but rather, wondering if it's obvious that the GPS is out?

Yup. Couple of years ago they did one in upstate NY.
It's pretty obvious when it happens. Magenta line pilots kind of freaked. Heard a couple asking for position from ATC.

All the time near PAX river, and another location not so very far away. But the Chesapeake Bay is a pretty good landmark (water mark?). Garmin tells you it's gacked. . .

I would just hide in the house and ride it out until this GPS testing is complete. Stay safe out there magenta liners!

Had one pilot find out he had another 1000miles to get home. He knew he was only 60 miles away.

All the time out west. Almost continuous in NM around Alamogordo, extending out 500+ miles into Colorado and Wyoming. We're used to it. Out here, it's really just a warning about leakage from the Faraday cage testing. Haven't had a problem with it.

All the time out west. Almost continuous in NM around Alamogordo,

And White Sands restricted areas where they practice GPS jamming a lot. I just descend below the mountain ridges and defeat their jamming. (on vfr days)

In the mapping industry there are lots of times with these when the pilot's magenta line is unfazed but the differential gps for the mapping data is hosed. Don't need too clean of a signal for a usable magenta line (sans approaches) but for survey grade accuracies these are like my mortal enemy.

But... What happens to ADS-B when they're jamming? Honest question.

In the mapping industry there are lots of times with these when the pilot's magenta line is unfazed but the differential gps for the mapping data is hosed. Don't need too clean of a signal for a usable magenta line (sans approaches) but for survey grade accuracies these are like my mortal enemy.

That's a very valid question; I've had my GPS go wacky, it wouldn't be so good to broadcast a false position! Maybe we should all have little INS boxes that are periodically corrected to the known good GPS signal to take care of that.

I wish I cared, but I'm not equipping. Since ATL protects their airspace so closely, I don't need it. When IFR, I get sent to SINCA or HEFIN; when VFR, they usually say "remain clear of the Bravo" but have said "stay out of the Bravo."

My last VFR trip past there, which would have clipped the southern edge rather than crossed directly above ATL's runway as my direct course often does, ATL Approach asked if I was RNAV equipped. So I replied "are you gonna send me to SINCA?" His response was "No, GRANT is closer." I politely changed course without mentioning any ill will towards the house-burning, civilian-starving POS that the waypoint was named after . . . . . He's part of why I didn't know that "damnyankee" was two words until I was in high school.

An hour later, when I asked, CLT Approach checked and cleared me through their Bravo, clipping the edge about as much as I would have in ATL. This confirmed beyond doubt that it's not all ATC, it's just the nearby ATL. Since I already can't go there, equiping for ADS-B does nothing but cost me money and panel space that I don't have. And don't talk to me about using IN on my tablet, ain't nothing there certified, installed or installable . . . .

I wish I cared, but I'm not equipping. Since ATL protects their airspace so closely, I don't need it. When IFR, I get sent to SINCA or HEFIN; when VFR, they usually say "remain clear of the Bravo" but have said "stay out of the Bravo."

My last VFR trip past there, which would have clipped the southern edge rather than crossed directly above ATL's runway as my direct course often does, ATL Approach asked if I was RNAV equipped. So I replied "are you gonna send me to SINCA?" His response was "No, GRANT is closer." I politely changed course without mentioning any ill will towards the house-burning, civilian-starving POS that the waypoint was named after . . . . . He's part of why I didn't know that "damnyankee" was two words until I was in high school.

An hour later, when I asked, CLT Approach checked and cleared me through their Bravo, clipping the edge about as much as I would have in ATL. This confirmed beyond doubt that it's not all ATC, it's just the nearby ATL. Since I already can't go there, equiping for ADS-B does nothing but cost me money and panel space that I don't have. And don't talk to me about using IN on my tablet, ain't nothing there certified, installed or installable . . . .

They are a bit heavy handed there. ATL has a 40 NM restriction for IFR thru flights. Even VFR they like a good buffer but I usually run up against the B. A few times gotten the centerfield over flight.

I don’t even bother trying, when flying south from here I plan HEFIN or AHN depending on which side gets me there quicker.

Not 100% sure but my Garmin GLO unit has both US GPS and Russian GLOSNASS receivers in it. I might not even notice a GPS outage. But, never tried it either.

....He's part of why I didn't know that "damnyankee" was two words until I was in high school. . . .

And maybe if you graduated high school you wouldn’t be as bitter towards yankees as a lot of southerners around here are hiyoooooo.

". . .I don't need your pardon for who and what I am, and for your reconstruction, I do not give a damn. . ."

Back