GPS question

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
What's a good VFR GPS that is either panel mounted or portable? Also, does anyone know where I can download a manual for Garmin 396 GPS I would like to use when when I do my X-country training.

search on GPS to see all of the threads on what everybody likes. Personally I live in flat land so I don't need terrain (I can look out the window or the charts and see it when going over the Appalachians and I don't land there so a 196 serves ne just fine. Here is the manuals on a Garmin 396 (google is your friend) http://www.garmin.com/products/manual.jsp?product=010-00425-00

What's a good VFR GPS that is either panel mounted or portable? Also, does anyone know where I can download a manual for Garmin 396 GPS I would like to use when when I do my X-country training.

All of the Garmin X96 models can be panel mounted if I remember correctly. The 496 has a big hubbub about being able to move it to your car seamlessly if that was the other idea of "portable" you were getting at. :)

All of the Garmin X96 models can be panel mounted if I remember correctly. The 496 has a big hubbub about being able to move it to your car seamlessly if that was the other idea of "portable" you were getting at. :)

I was at AirVenture and I did attend a power point presentation on the 496. You could use it for your airplane, car, it'll have weather on it, it's pretty amazing.

i mounted a Lowrance 2000c but you could also mount the 1000 which could be had for <500 bucks.

I have a Garmin 196 that I want to sell. It Tom Sisk doesn't want it it can be had for $400. Like new and should give you what you need.

Given that you fly in thunderstorm country you may want to think about a Garmin 396 or 496 so you can get the XM weather. Even for VFR flying it's useful because you can see storms beyond visual range. I'm no Garmin bigot, but I don't believe any of the other manufacturers have it yet unless you wanted to get a "bucket of parts" solution.

Given that you fly in thunderstorm country you may want to think about a Garmin 396 or 496 so you can get the XM weather. Even for VFR flying it's useful because you can see storms beyond visual range. I'm no Garmin bigot, but I don't believe any of the other manufacturers have it yet unless you wanted to get a "bucket of parts" solution.
not a "bucket of parts" - It is pretty nice and easily upgraded. http://www.aviationsafety.com/fl_190.htm

It's pretty nice, and easily figure-outable :))). I'm still leaning towards the Lowrance, though ('cause it has a bigger screen and I can't see for ... beans).

But I've enjoyed playing with the Garmin! It would be a good 'un to have! :)
You talking about the FL190 or the Garmin there Tom? It is fun to see how close your speedometer is with the Garmin, among other things like getting to where you want to go...

The FL190 looked like a lot of fun - though I'm not sure I'm smart enough to use it! :) A lot of information there to be had. I'm thinking about getting the Lowrance 2000C - it's about as big as the FL190, looks like, but doesn't have the weather.

I really want the weather, but that's another $2K which I don't think I have to spend right now (not without M. killing me, anyway! :eek:). But I do wish I had something with weather on it. dang.

The FL190 looked like a lot of fun - though I'm not sure I'm smart enough to use it! :) A lot of information there to be had. I'm thinking about getting the Lowrance 2000C - it's about as big as the FL190, looks like, but doesn't have the weather.

I really want the weather, but that's another $2K which I don't think I have to spend right now (not without M. killing me, anyway! :eek:). But I do wish I had something with weather on it. dang.

Weather also has a monthly cost associated with it.

If I didn't want weather, I'd be tempted to look at the AvMaps. They are freaking huge! Lowrance 2000 is a nice unit as well.

Weather also has a monthly cost associated with it.

If I didn't want weather, I'd be tempted to look at the AvMaps. They are freaking huge! Lowrance 2000 is a nice unit as well.
It's (almost) all about the weather. I was peeved the other day to take up a nice G1000 panel to discover that the owner didn't feel a necessity to pay for the XM radio subscription to get weather! (Not to mention that he didn't keep the Jep DB up to date, either:hairraise:)

Last edited:

They're not technically panel mount though. You can get an Air Gizmo to mount a portable GPS on the panel, but it can't be permanently mounted IIRC. I believe that would require further TSO approvals and such that I don't think the portables have.

I've flown about 180 hours, mostly cross country, behind a 396 with the full weather subscription. I can't say enough good things about it, just a great unit.

Flatlanders shouldn't disregard the terrain function as there is also a warning for obstacles, like those humongous transmission towers.

Go to www.garmin.com, click on "In the air", then "portables". You can download the manuals for any of their units.

Jay

If you're only interested in basic situational awareness a Garmin GPSmap 96 does just fine. Not sure I'm ready to accept the excuses for needing wx displays when flying VFR. Every plane I've flown had windows.

Of course, when I was taking training using a Loran was considered cheating...;)

Of course, when I was taking training using a Loran was considered cheating...;)

Wait... That implies that they had harnessed the technology of electricity when you were taking training. I was sure they were still pushing people off buildings with oversized condor wings during that time period. :D :D

One additional point -- you may find your instructor will not permit you much (if any) use of a GPS during your XC training until you demonstrated satisfactory command of DR/pilotage navigation techniques.

One additional point -- you may find your instructor will not permit you much (if any) use of a GPS during your XC training until you demonstrated satisfactory command of DR/pilotage navigation techniques.

That is true, but wouldn't it also be important for instructors to introduce their students to the GPS technology so that way they are more comfortable with it, and use it as a tool to make sure you are on course?

Well, we did start with kites with a key on the string...sort of a primitive strikefinder, you might say.

That could explain that tic ...

Wait... That implies that they had harnessed the technology of electricity when you were taking training. I was sure they were still pushing people off buildings with oversized condor wings during that time period. :D :D

That is true, but wouldn't it also be important for instructors to introduce their students to the GPS technology so that way they are more comfortable with it, and use it as a tool to make sure you are on course?
At the PPL training level, it's more a "nice to have" than a "critical." It's not required in the PPL PTS (although you can, if you wish, substitute GPS for VOR for the electronic nav task), and I would not hold back a Student Pilot from the PPL practical test for lack of GPS knowledge. Of course, if that person has a GPS in his/her plane, and plans to fly places after completing the PPL, I'd want to make sure that person does get trained on it, either before or after the practical test.

If you're only interested in basic situational awareness a Garmin GPSmap 96 does just fine. Not sure I'm ready to accept the excuses for needing wx displays when flying VFR. Every plane I've flown had windows.

You mean you learned in a plane with windows? Geez, googles and a scarf were good enough for my instructor :)

During PPL training, sure, leave the GPS in the flight bag and learn pilotage. And later on, continue to USE pilotage. But when you have your ticket and start going places on multi-day trips like Tarheel Pilot is, even if you are VFR only, a GPS with XM weather is a great tool.

Most of the weather download focus is on Nexrad displays and their use to avoid storm cells while IFR. Granted, that's a "killer app", but as you point out, a VFR pilot should be able at all times to stay clear of T-storms by looking out the windows.

But the XM weather has several other functions that are great for a VFR pilot. One is the satellite imagery overlay. It is not perfect, but does show areas of significant cloud cover. Not much use when you are on a short flight in the local area, but launch out from North Carolina for Arkansas and it is sure nice, an hour and a half into the flight, to see where the clouds are.

Another great app is the winds aloft function. I've found it to be quite accurate, and a great tool in picking the altitude with the best winds. Or, most of the time for me, the least BAD winds.

One of the simplest and least written about functions is airport weather reporting. Want to know what the weather is at your destination? Scroll to that airport with the cursor (or go to the flight plan page) and click on it and there is the current METAR and TAF. Or click on any airport that shows a "weather" flag on the screen. You can maintain constant awareness of how the actual weather is compared to the forecast you received before you launched. Are fronts moving faster than forecast? Slower? Is the weather at your destination improving or getting worse? You can track it all the way.

There's tons of other info, including SIGMETs and AIRMETs that VFR pilots need to know about.

All this allows the VFR pilot to make good weather decisions well BEFORE he or she sees bad stuff out the windshield. Instead of descending to "see if we can stay underneath this", the pilot can check the METARs and TAFs, look at the imagery, and pretty much KNOW if they can get through safely. They can then opt for diversions, coffee breaks or entirely new plans early on while there are more options.

VFR or IFR, knowing what the weather is "down the road" in near real time takes a lot of anxiety out of cross country flight, allows for better decision making and, I firmly believe, enhances safety.

Jay

I'd love a portable GPS with terrain but before buying one, I;d like to be able to also use it with street maps for my car. Any GPS in the area, please advise.
PS: I have a bendixking 89b, IFR enroute and approach certified. I've used the BK 94 also. Either one would be good.

My concern is the tendency for humans to be tempted to overly rely on technology to keep them out of harm's way "in real time" .

Most, if not all, of the information you refer to is available prior to takeoff and is not likely to change drastically in the 3-4 hrs a typical "long x-c" consists of in small planes. Better to understand and plan accordingly on the ground where it's easier to rationalize a conservative choice than to be enroute and have a case of get-there-itis becomingly increasingly harder to overcome. We're talking VFR flying here, not F-111 missions into Libya. If you're playing the weather that close you should be doing it IFR.

Until "continued VFR flight into IMC" is no longer a statistic I'll stick to my position.

http://www.aopa.org/pilot/features/2001/ounce0110.html

There's tons of other info, including SIGMETs and AIRMETs that VFR pilots need to know about.

Last edited:
I'd love a portable GPS with terrain but before buying one, I;d like to be able to also use it with street maps for my car. Any GPS in the area, please advise.

The Garmin 96/96C would do that, but doesn't have voice prompting for the terrain and car street use. If you want all that in an aviation GPS, I'd look for a good used 396.

John,

Both the 396 and the 496 will do what you want, but the 396 will require the optional car kit which is included with the 496. In addition, while the 496 has nationwide road maps built in, the 396 will require you to load them from your computer a state at a time depending on where you happen to be going. Advantage: 496.

Any money in the area, please advise...

Back