GPS Pilot III update?

2002 Harv

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
John
I just tried to update the database in my old Pilot III GPS. And the Garmen web updater says no updates available. Anyone else have the same experience?

John

funny you should mention this Harv. I just flew today with Gary Shelby and he has that unit. He told me they haven't supported that unit for a while now. He got the last Database update which is at least a couple of years old.

funny you should mention this Harv. I just flew today with Gary Shelby and he has that unit. He told me they haven't supported that unit for a while now. He got the last Database update which is at least a couple of years old.

Considering the DB updates actually come from Jeppeson AFaIK, you might try calling them.

In any case this is something that I think needs to be addressed by our legislature at some point. There are many products like GPS and TiVo that are purchased with the expectation that they will be usable as long as they don't malfunction, and since a GPS requires a reasonably current DB to function properly there ought to be a way to ensure continuity of function for at least some specified period. Granted the GPS Pilot III is fairly old, but it's not so old as to be considered functionally obsolete. AFaIK Garmin could have declared it "unsupported" a year after it was sold if they so desired. They certainly stand to make more money by forcing consumers to ante up for a new model periodically.

Considering the DB updates actually come from Jeppeson AFaIK, you might try calling them.

In any case this is something that I think needs to be addressed by our legislature at some point. There are many products like GPS and TiVo that are purchased with the expectation that they will be usable as long as they don't malfunction, and since a GPS requires a reasonably current DB to function properly there ought to be a way to ensure continuity of function for at least some specified period. Granted the GPS Pilot III is fairly old, but it's not so old as to be considered functionally obsolete. AFaIK Garmin could have declared it "unsupported" a year after it was sold if they so desired. They certainly stand to make more money by forcing consumers to ante up for a new model periodically.

Well said Lance!:yes:

I just tried to update the database in my old Pilot III GPS. And the Garmen web updater says no updates available. Anyone else have the same experience?

John

John:

I believe that the last Garmin GPS Pilot III update (both software and database) was 12/25/03. The last software version, as indicating on the unit is Version 2.12. I'll look through my computer files to see if I still have the update installer. Do you have the connector that goes from the unit to your computer? Don't know what the model number is, but it has the round 4 pin plug on one end and a serial port on the other.

I do like the unit, it's small, but the screen is easily readable and it tells me everything I need to know.

If there was a later version, and anyone knows how to get it, that would be appreciated!

Gary

This page http://shop.garmin.com/aviation/databases/ allows you to select Pilot III from the drop-down list. If you hit "continue" it shows a current data base. I didn't proceed any further from there because I don't want to buy a database. I'm a little curious, though, because I own one of these units. I haven't used it in a long time, however it would be nice to be able to update it if I do have use for it in the future.

Looks like they might have an update. The other day, I just put in the serial number and they said no updates. However, when I go and look for a Pilot III there is this...

Due to the rapid growth of database information, the GPS III Pilot Americas-North and Americas-South databases have been geographically limited in order to continue to provide current data to customers. With cycle 0609 and earlier, the Americas-North database contained aviation data for United States, Canada and Latin America. With cycle 0610, the Americas-North database will contain aviation data for the United States and Canada only. With cycle 0609 and earlier, the Americas-South database contained aviation data for United States, Latin America and South America. With cycle 0610, the Americas-South database will contain aviation data for Latin America and South America only. Please be aware of this before you download a new database.

John

I just updated mine two weeks ago. No problems at all. I am surprised I couldn't find a USB cable to replace the serial. Other, later models use the same plug and all still 9-pin.

Looks like they might have an update. The other day, I just put in the serial number and they said no updates. However, when I go and look for a Pilot III there is this...

Due to the rapid growth of database information, the GPS III Pilot Americas-North and Americas-South databases have been geographically limited in order to continue to provide current data to customers. With cycle 0609 and earlier, the Americas-North database contained aviation data for United States, Canada and Latin America. With cycle 0610, the Americas-North database will contain aviation data for the United States and Canada only. With cycle 0609 and earlier, the Americas-South database contained aviation data for United States, Latin America and South America. With cycle 0610, the Americas-South database will contain aviation data for Latin America and South America only. Please be aware of this before you download a new database.

John
Sounds to me like they were memory limited and they had to make a decision that would maximize the utility for those still using them. Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. Not sure why they waited so long!

This page http://shop.garmin.com/aviation/databases/ allows you to select Pilot III from the drop-down list. If you hit "continue" it shows a current data base. I didn't proceed any further from there because I don't want to buy a database. I'm a little curious, though, because I own one of these units. I haven't used it in a long time, however it would be nice to be able to update it if I do have use for it in the future.

After a phone call and some surfing the Garmin webpage, it would seem that for operating software the last version is 2.12 dated 4/24/02. However, the database can indeed be updated. Gave it a try and it worked flawlessly, another $.35 AMU's go to support the Cherokee.

Gary

I have the info bookmarked at home for the Pilot III database update, I think it was around $20-$30.

$350 to update a VFR GPS????:eek:

$35.00 Guess it depends how you define an AMU. Always looked at from the viewpoint that anytime I need something for the Cherokee it always seems to run at least $100. So just like a dollar is our basic "monetary unit", an aviation "monetary unit" would be $100. :D

Sorry for the confusion.

Gary

$350 to update a VFR GPS????:eek:

$1000 for an hour of dual?

I don't know when it was that the definition of an AMU changed from the price of an hour of dual to the price of a trip to the shop... I guess the aviation saying rule-makers all went out and bought airplanes. ;)

$35.00 Guess it depends how you define an AMU. Always looked at from the viewpoint that anytime I need something for the Cherokee it always seems to run at least $100. So just like a dollar is our basic "monetary unit", an aviation "monetary unit" would be $100. :D

Sorry for the confusion.

Gary

flyingcheesehead said:
$1000 for an hour of dual?

I don't know when it was that the definition of an AMU changed from the price of an hour of dual to the price of a trip to the shop... I guess the aviation saying rule-makers all went out and bought airplanes. ;)

Dunno, I've always heard of AMU's (at least for owners) as being blocks of $1000.

Back