GPS outside FAF

slehar

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
slehar
Flying my GNS 430 sim through XPlane flight sim, I plan the RNAV GPS approach to Runway 16 at KBVY. I hit LADTI and turn outbound for a parallel entry to the hold. But I get NO GPS GUIDANCE to intercept the extended centerline of the approach through my LOC/GPS head, whether outbound or inbound, until I pass LADTI FAF inbound, thats when my LOC/GPS/ILS head lights up and shows me the needles.
Is that the way it’s supposed to work? Or am I doing it wrong?

The GPS guidance should be giving you a magenta line to follow for the parallel entry and the course reversal. Correct it won't give you the inbound course until you are inbound.

Is your GNS 430 Sim a non WAAS unit? The non WAAS unit doesn't do holding patterns. If it is the WAAS unit, the CDI is not involved in the outbound leg or the turn to intercept the inbound leg until you are inbound. If the sim provides a roll steering (aka GPSS) guidance the magenta curved path will be flown, but the CDI is only used for straight leg lateral guidance.

Flying my GNS 430 sim through XPlane flight sim, I plan the RNAV GPS approach to Runway 16 at KBVY. I hit LADTI and turn outbound for a parallel entry to the hold. But I get NO GPS GUIDANCE to intercept the extended centerline of the approach through my LOC/GPS head, whether outbound or inbound, until I pass LADTI FAF inbound, thats when my LOC/GPS/ILS head lights up and shows me the needles.
Is that the way it’s supposed to work? Or am I doing it wrong?
First, it's not a Garmin GNS 430. It's an X-Plane emulation of one which does not have full fidelity. Or are you using RealityXP with the "real" Garmin trainer?

The other question is, how was the approach loaded? What transition did you use and from which direction were you coming? Was the hold added to the flight plan? Looking at the plate, There is a NoPT route from the north and if you load LADTI as the IAF, a real 430 will ask you if you want the hold. Loading LODTI from the south, the hold would be in the flight plan. Loading from NUVZA or HAGET, there would be no hold since those are NoPT transitions.

I guess the third questions is, what do you mean by GPS guidance? With the hold loaded, you would normally get prompts for the turns and a magenta holding pattern for situational awareness, but the CD/HSI would not change.

Back