GPS Interference

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
Has anyone ever actually seen anything strange due to all of those "GPS Interference Testing" notices that go out here in the west?

Any GPS anomalies?

Just troubleshooting a weird intermittent GPS issues and trying to understand the likelihood of this as a cause. Garmin 480.

I have seen it offshore, but not out near the NOTAM'd areas in the western US.

Has anyone ever actually seen anything strange due to all of those "GPS Interference Testing" notices that go out here in the west?

Any GPS anomalies?

Just troubleshooting a weird intermittent GPS issues and trying to understand the likelihood of this as a cause. Garmin 480.

Do you have an old 121.5 ELT? If so, try completely disconnecting it AND turning it off.

No, we upgraded to 406 about a year ago.

Tried to reproduce the issue yesterday, but couldn't. Reported issue is "twitching" of the CDI and flag on the HSI, _only_ during GPS approaches, not during "enroute" mode. Haven't seen it myself, just going on what my partners have observed.

Is it always at a specific airport? GPS interference isn't necessarily due to gov't testing. We have a joker with a (apparently) mobile jammer, thanks to which GPS signals are "unreliable" at PTK and sometimes over northern suburbs of Detroit. Has yet to happen to me in IMC, but I had an occurrence a couple of weeks ago (VFR) as I was leaving the area for a fly-in. As far as I know they have yet to catch the guy. But the symptom is usually complete loss of satellites, not partial loss of integrity.

edit: I just noticed you said you had a 480, as do I. In that case the loss of integrity should be annunciated. If the only sign is misbehavior of the HSI, I wonder if the problem has anything to do with GPS reception.

Last edited:
Is it always at a specific airport? GPS interference isn't necessarily due to gov't testing. We have a joker with a (apparently) mobile jammer, thanks to which GPS signals are "unreliable" at PTK and sometimes over northern suburbs of Detroit. Has yet to happen to me in IMC, but I had an occurrence a couple of weeks ago (VFR) as I was leaving the area for a fly-in. As far as I know they have yet to catch the guy. But the symptom is usually complete loss of satellites, not partial loss of integrity.

edit: I just noticed you said you had a 480, as do I. In that case the loss of integrity should be annunciated. If the only sign is misbehavior of the HSI, I wonder if the problem has anything to do with GPS reception.

I'm thinking it could be something with the HSI as well. I've flown 2 GPS approaches this week and no problems with either, so it's apparently intermittent.

It's extremely easy to jam GPS signals as they are barely above the "noise" floor. All you need to do is produce a "louder" signal at or nearby the GPS signal frequency.

Back