GPS Effective date

alindsay

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Allan
Jeppesen allows the Garmin 430W database to be downloaded 10 days prior to the effective date.

Can you use the DB prior to the effective date?

I've been reading through the FARs and don't see anything but the need to use a current database for IFR approaches.

Thanks,

Allan

Jeppesen allows the Garmin 430W database to be downloaded 10 days prior to the effective date.

Can you use the DB prior to the effective date?

I've been reading through the FARs and don't see anything but the need to use a current database for IFR approaches.

Thanks,

Allan
I've heard before it's a no-no for paper charts and approach plates prior to the effective date. I doubt it's any different for databases used for IFR navigation. But, if used for VFR only? No issue.

It's a definite no-no for IFR (just as using new IFR charts before their effective data), and even for VFR, there are issues. Planned frequency changes programmed into the database may lead you to call folks or look for a VOR on the wrong freq. Don't use the new database until its effective date/time. If that means having two cards, and loading the new database in one and switching cards on D-day, so be it.

That's what I thought. Guess it's time to buy an extra card.

Thank you,

Allan

That's what I thought. Guess it's time to buy an extra card.

Thank you,

Allan

I believe that you can have two database files on the same card. When you download the latest, the previous month's DB should remain on the card and the GPS will use the old one until the new one is current. This may require you to reboot the GPS midflight if you happen to be in the air at 0000Z when the next one takes effect.

I believe that you can have two database files on the same card. When you download the latest, the previous month's DB should remain on the card and the GPS will use the old one until the new one is current.
I don't think that's true, at least not for the Garmins. The problem with doing it that way is that it would be smart, and we can't have that!
-harry

I don't think that's true, at least not for the Garmins. The problem with doing it that way is that it would be smart, and we can't have that!
-harry

I have a Garmin (sort of, it's a GNS480) and it works as I stated. So did the KLN-94 that preceeded it. I'd be surprised to learn that the X30 family cannot do this as well but it's certainly possible. The problem I see with that is you'd have to switch the card out in flight sometimes to be current.

You cannot have two databases on a 430/530 card, WAAS or otherwise. Best solution is two cards and swapping.

You cannot have two databases on a 430/530 card, WAAS or otherwise. Best solution is two cards and swapping.

I guess that's just another example of the superiority of the recently discontinued GNS480 over the X30W family for IFR flight.

Where do you purchase a second data card. I have a Garmin gnc300?

Where do you purchase a second data card. I have a Garmin gnc300?
Ask GARMIN. I'm sure they'll sell you another. You might also just google the product number on the card. An avionics shop that services GARMIN might have one in the back room.

Back