GPS driving ADF bearing pointer??

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Does anybody here have an installation like this, or have you seen one? It's the first I've heard of the capability for a GPS unit to drive an ADF bearing pointer... Can any of the Garmin units do this?

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/1999/991213gps.html said:
Some GPS receivers can drive an ADF bearing pointer; this would make a handy GPS/RMI-like presentation for improved situational awareness. Note: Labeling or switching functions would be required.

scottd said:
I'm not sure this answers your question Troy, however, GPS can drive an bearing pointer (similar to an ADF) on an HSI such as is seen on the Avidyne or G1000 PFD equipment.

You can even hook a KR87 ADF into the G1000, just in case you really want to mix old with new!

I have a King KI-825; the primary needle is an HSI driven by the #1 unit; there is also an RMI-type needle that points to the waypoint set in unit #2.
So yes, it would function like an ADF.

Troy Whistman said:
Does anybody here have an installation like this, or have you seen one? It's the first I've heard of the capability for a GPS unit to drive an ADF bearing pointer... Can any of the Garmin units do this?

I know of zero IFR GPS receivers that can drive an "ADF Bearing Pointer" directly and although I can imaging the circuitry necessary to make such a connection work, I've never seen such a product and doubt that any exist.

Some GPS receivers can drive some RMI indicators (for instance a GNS-480 can directly couple to a KNI-582 RMI among others and I suspect that the writer of the article quoted in your post was confusing RMIs with ADF indicators since their appearance and function is similar.

Some GPSs will directly display an ADF type pointer on the built in display pointing to the waypoint being navigated to. I've used it driving around in a neighborhood trying to find someones house with my Airmap 100.

Back