GPS database discrepencies

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
I took the guy who taught me to fly fixed-wing for a round robin of legs in the R44.
Brandywine to Butter Valley (for lunch), ok.
Butter Valley to McGinness ok.

On the ground at McGinness, I try to get the 430 to accept 0P2 for Shoestring airport (near VINNY intersection). It didn't know 0P2 from beans. OK, so it knows Vinny, we can fly there and resume navigation.

But first, we have a 496 in the ship which I really don't know how to use yet. So we two superpilots play with the 496 and finally successfully input 0P2. Guess what? The 496 knows all about 0P2!

Now it just puzzles the hell out of me that a high-end panel GPS doesn't have the airport in its database, and the portable one does. :dunno:

We did have a great flight, though, which included a pass between two ridges where the Appalachian runs just north of Hamburg, PA (and an overflight of Cabalas as well).

RotaryWingBob said:
I took the guy who taught me to fly fixed-wing for a round robin of legs in the R44.
Brandywine to Butter Valley (for lunch), ok.
Butter Valley to McGinness ok.

On the ground at McGinness, I try to get the 430 to accept 0P2 for Shoestring airport (near VINNY intersection). It didn't know 0P2 from beans. OK, so it knows Vinny, we can fly there and resume navigation.

But first, we have a 496 in the ship which I really don't know how to use yet. So we two superpilots play with the 496 and finally successfully input 0P2. Guess what? The 496 knows all about 0P2!

Now it just puzzles the hell out of me that a high-end panel GPS doesn't have the airport in its database, and the portable one does. :dunno:

We did have a great flight, though, which included a pass between two ridges where the Appalachian runs just north of Hamburg, PA (and an overflight of Cabalas as well).

I know I'm stating the obvious, but you didn't get the 'O' and '0' ("OH" versus "zero") mixed up in the 430 did you? I could see how that could be an easy mistake.

I'm not sure if there is a certain 'level' of airports to allow within the 430 database updates. I know that it doesn't show the "IAxx" airports in Iowa (usually private owned, public use, etc.). Another option could be the fact that the 496 is running off of the AOPA database, if I'm thinking straight.

Either way -- interesting observation.

-Chris

Ooh, ooh. Mr. Kotter. I know this one :)

On the Garmin 430, if the airport identifier begins with a number, you have to enter the "K" first -- K0P2. Dunno why, but that's what my friends with 430's say.

-Rich

0P2 is listed in FliteStar as Private, public use "Shoestring Aviation". I don't believe the 430/530 DB has private airstrips or helipads.

Interesting that the 496 does though. Probably has more memory and a faster processor.

Joe

CJones said:
I know I'm stating the obvious, but you didn't get the 'O' and '0' ("OH" versus "zero") mixed up in the 430 did you? I could see how that could be an easy mistake.

I'm not sure if there is a certain 'level' of airports to allow within the 430 database updates. I know that it doesn't show the "IAxx" airports in Iowa (usually private owned, public use, etc.). Another option could be the fact that the 496 is running off of the AOPA database, if I'm thinking straight.

Either way -- interesting observation.

-Chris
No, I didn't do that, but I do understand your point.

rpadula said:
Ooh, ooh. Mr. Kotter. I know this one :)

On the Garmin 430, if the airport identifier begins with a number, you have to enter the "K" first -- K0P2. Dunno why, but that's what my friends with 430's say.

-Rich
That's true for ICAO airport id's only. 8N7, 7N8 worked just fine (as did N99 on the way home)

Areeda said:
0P2 is listed in FliteStar as Private, public use "Shoestring Aviation". I don't believe the 430/530 DB has private airstrips or helipads.

Interesting that the 496 does though. Probably has more memory and a faster processor.

Joe
That might be the explanation, Joe. If it is, that really annoys me, though :mad:

Yeah, as another 430 example, 40N has always worked for me without the "K."

Bob, I was over Butter Valley this very morning, debating whether or not to practice my short-field technique there (the Sundowner manual makes no mention whatsoever of short or soft field operations, so that's more of a debate than you'd think.) Landing a chopper was probably more of a no-brainer. Hope you had a good trip. I chickened out and went back to Wings.

flyersfan31 said:
Yeah, as another 430 example, 40N has always worked for me without the "K."

Bob, I was over Butter Valley this very morning, debating whether or not to practice my short-field technique there (the Sundowner manual makes no mention whatsoever of short or soft field operations, so that's more of a debate than you'd think.) Landing a chopper was probably more of a no-brainer. Hope you had a good trip. I chickened out and went back to Wings.
You know, I've never landed there in a fixed-wing. It's a wierd airport for sure -- the rw has like three levels up the hill until it changes to grass. I watched somebody take off at lunch, he/she was in a low wing, made a tailwind t/o up the hill, and didn't, to my knowledge, crash. But I think if I were in a fixed-wing, I would have started on top of the hill in the grass, done my roll downhill...

Of course, I started at the bottom of the hill, into the wind, and did a max performance t/o - max mp, 40 kt, and that helo shot into the sky. :D

My CFI took me in there one day. A pickup truck drove across that little road on final just ahead of me. Don't see that every day. Then I had to wait to take off, because someone's errant drive had landed on the turf portion of the rwy ahead of me and he wanted to hit. Don't see that every day either.

rpadula said:

Huh? That's not how mine works. And I just used it to fly to 68C over the weekend.

I'm guessing the airport in question is listed as private. The 496 is Garmin's first product to include private fields in the database, IIRC.

flyingcheesehead said:
Huh? That's not how mine works. And I just used it to fly to 68C over the weekend.

I'm guessing the airport in question is listed as private. The 496 is Garmin's first product to include private fields in the database, IIRC.
Kent, do you know if the G1000 includes them? It used to be that I could check it out with 1C5 as the identifier, but the village bought it, so it's now publicly owned. (BTW, planning to get checked out in the DA40 tomorrow, and we have a DA40-XL soming RSN!)

flyingcheesehead said:

Nope. It's public use and so indicated on the Washington sectional.

RotaryWingBob said:
Nope. It's public use and so indicated on the Washington sectional.
I understood that he was talking about privately OWNED not being in the Garmin line until the 496. As I'm sure you're aware, there are some airports that are privately owned but public use. I never ran into that distinction on the King GPSs in the Skyhawks, and that's why I was wondering about the G1000.

gprellwitz said:
I understood that he was talking about privately OWNED not being in the Garmin line until the 496. As I'm sure you're aware, there are some airports that are privately owned but public use.

Naah, I meant pure private. Privately owned public use airports (like KRAC, 6Y9, etc.) are in the 430 database. AFAIK, the G1K is the same as the 430.

Back