Gps backup

JBrown243

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
any opinions on the Garmin 496 vs the Ipad mini with Foreflight as a gps backup? I don't have a large budget and I wanted to get something to add a little more situational awareness while flying.

Hands down the Ipad mini w/ForeFlight unless you need weather and are willing to spend $30 to $50 / mo for it.

But, if you decide to go with the 496, I have one I'll sell you...since I have an ipad with ForeFlight!

;)

I have both, I use the iPad for primary nav and the 496 as backup. Try putting a complex flight plan into each one and the iPad will sell itself to you.

Hands down the Ipad mini w/ForeFlight unless you need weather and are willing to spend $30 to $50 / mo for it.

But, if you decide to go with the 496, I have one I'll sell you...since I have an ipad with ForeFlight!

;)
wow, the ipads that good huh?

would an iPad mini with 16gb be enough storage to put all the maps, approach charts, weather, and traffic? or should I get the 32gb?

The bigger storage the better... 32gb as the min.

It's probably enough if you don't use it for anything else . but I think it may be a good idea to spend the extra 200 and get the 64.

Have both ,love the IPad with Foreflight,also think the 496 is a great unit. If money is the deciding factor the 496 would be the way to go in the short run. The way avionics are changing the I pad with the stratus is the way to go for now

I fly with both an iPad and a 396.

The iPad with FF is for routine navigation and approach plates.

The 396 is for emergencies. It is essentially my backup panel, with its own internal battery backup.

If I lose my heading indicator, I'll use the 396 in the track-up display. I've practiced approaches that way, and it's really good, just as good really as the heading indicator, infinitely better than the whiskey compass.

If I lose all my gyros, I'll use the 396 page that looks like a six-pack. I've practiced remaining straight and level that way.

It's probably enough if you don't use it for anything else . but I think it may be a good idea to spend the extra 200 and get the 64.

And I chose to not stop there... got the full 128... sorta nice to have the full load out of charts, apps, music, photos, and more, and still have plenty of storage to spare.

would an iPad mini with 16gb be enough storage to put all the maps, approach charts, weather, and traffic? or should I get the 32gb?

16GB is probably enough if you're only using it for ForeFlight, but you'll quickly want to put a movie or two on, so go for more. For reference, my ForeFlight installation is 3.5GB, and I have sectionals, IFR low, plates, and high-res terrain for DE, DC, MD, NJ, NY, NC, PA, and VA. The delta for smallish states is around 100MB, largeish states are closer to 200. TX is 420, CA is 320, and AK is 2GB. That's for the set of charts I described.

So, if you're using the iPad for only ForeFlight, you can get away with 16GB (borderline if you want the whole CONUS), but you will find other apps you like and/or realize the joy of having a 4.5GB movie along to watch in the hotel. So go for more.

I vote for the IPAD with stratus for a backup, but go for the larger memory (I have the 64) so you can just keep all the maps and documents up to date in the US. I live in michigan and was trying to save memory at first by not down loading the lower 48 only to find out mid flight on my way to Charlotte that I could plan and see the charts but only at LOW resolution.:idea:

So I found myself stopping in at Huntington WV before crossing the mountains to update the database. :rolleyes2:

For what its worth, my current comfortable setup is Garmin430W, Ipad Mini/Stratus2, and Garmin3 in the flight bag for a last resort GPS backup.

wow, the ipads that good huh?

I had a 16 gig and it just fit everything. If you want any storage left for other things get the 32 gig. Also if you only load a 10 states or less the 16 would be fine. It depends if you want it for aviation alone or general purpose plus aviation. Also if you get the cellular version (even if you do not sign up for service) it will have the GPS built in. Otherwise you will have to get a separate GPS ( badELF which plugs in the bottom, dual which is blue tooth and also has to be charged or status which will also give you weather). The storage assumes you use foreflight. Other programs may use more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanks for all the help. I ended up getting the mini 32gb. next is the Stratus!

I fly with a Garmin Aera 560 on the Pilot Yolk and Ipad2 on the passenger yolk running foreflight. Foreflight on my phone too.

Joe

I have a 32GB iPad Mini and find it to be great. I've flown with the 496 a good bit and like the iPad much more.

Back