GPS Approaches

201Driver

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
201Driver
Hello folks:

Does anyone know how to go about getting or adding a vor or gps approach installed (don't know if that's the right term) for an airport. The airport I'm at (RZL) only has a gps and ndb for runway 18. It would be nice to have an approach when coming from the south. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Contact the airport manager and have them request it through the FAA. An airport manager should know how to do this.

Before you start, remember that you'll need a VOR somewhere not too far from the airport. In looking at the charts, it appears RZL is in the middle of a triangle of three VOR's, but each is more than 20nm away, which makes it hard to create an approach which will meet TERPS criteria. Unless your airport has the money to install either a localizer or a terminal VOR, I think you may have to break down and buy either an IFR/approach GPS or an ADF if you want to safely fly into that airport when the weather is stinky.

Hello folks:

Does anyone know how to go about getting or adding a vor or gps approach installed (don't know if that's the right term) for an airport. The airport I'm at (RZL) only has a gps and ndb for runway 18. It would be nice to have an approach when coming from the south. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Anyone can request an IFR approach. See http://avn.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=ifp/index , you can also discuss this with the airport authority.

To get an LPV approach with reasonable minimums, the airport might want to get the Feds to fund a parallel taxiway all the way to the end and to remove the tree obstructions where feasible.

Before you start, remember that you'll need a VOR somewhere not too far from the airport. In looking at the charts, it appears RZL is in the middle of a triangle of three VOR's, but each is more than 20nm away, which makes it hard to create an approach which will meet TERPS criteria. Unless your airport has the money to install either a localizer or a terminal VOR, I think you may have to break down and buy either an IFR/approach GPS or an ADF if you want to safely fly into that airport when the weather is stinky.

Ron, it sounded to me like the OP has an IFR GPS and just would like to see an approach added for runway 36 to complement the one for 18.

Ron, it sounded to me like the OP has an IFR GPS and just would like to see an approach added for runway 36 to complement the one for 18.

Since when does anyone on here actually read the question being asked? :rofl:

Hmm.... now I wonder if I can request an instrument approach to my house...

Back