gps approaches

Why do you say that? If you mean all that only in the leaseback case, OK - But the local flight school has ONE aircraft on leaseback and the rest are their own. And my flying club is hoping to standardize on Garmin gadgets in all the planes as soon as we can afford to.

I dont know about where you fly, but in my neck of the woods its quite common for the clubs (not so much the schools) to actually own few if any of their planes, and mandating to individual aircraft owners what they MUST install in THEIR airplanes is dicier than herding cats.. especially if some are King fans and others are Garmin fans.

Couple that with tight times, trying to stay afloat in a recession, ever more expensive Avgas, I would expect margins to be tighter than ever for flight schools.

Elective replacement of avionics in a fleet would be unlikely in that scenario.

I would expect that the better goal would be to train your instructors to understand the devices to a subject mastery level and have them convey that to the students in an effective manner (but sometimes thats unrealistic too, because a typical timebuilding CFI doesn't get to log ground instruction for benefit, and a cockpit is a terrible classroom).

I'm sure that my view of reality is a bit skewed, since my CFI (and CFII) was a retired aerospace engineer, aircraft owner, A&P/AI who loved to teach, and wasn't going anywhere.

Elective replacement of avionics in a fleet would be unlikely in that scenario.

True - But in the case of a school that isn't primarily leaseback-based, having one of their customers say "Gee, it'd be nice if you guys standardized," maybe the next time they buy a new-used airplane, they'll go for the one that has the same GPS as the majority of their fleet instead of being totally random. That's all I meant.

Yeah, and when I mentioned this they said we DO have that! Come get standardized in the G1000!!! We have six aircraft with that. And while I am indeed being sarcastic now, credit goes to them for having a very organized program for that transition. It is just too much money for me right now (about halfway to the multi).

I've been lucky --- exposed to the somewhat peculiar logic of the Garmin interface from the start of training. I started in Archer IIIs with dual 430s (not that I learned much about them getting my PPL), my first plane had a 430, next plane a G1000, now back to dual 430s with Avidyne.

I bet I would have more than a few problems trying to fly a King anything GPS but for GPS-Direct. Actually, I rent a 172 to finish my Comm ASEL add-on, but I don't use the GPS at all, since I can nav by pilotage for as far as I fly.

As an aside, i really don't like the King GPS or the MFD. Crappy graphics.

Back