Government Charter Aircraft - Why Biz Jets?

I wasn't thinking about those who normally handle VIPs. I'm thinking about putting them into the back of C-130, KC-135, or whatever pilot/crew needs currency. What do you consider a VIP?
I'd suggest any of those in the news because they flew charters are NOT VIPs. Nor are congress critters (upper or lower house).
I'd say most folks in the presidential line of succession fit the definition of "VIP." Even if there are more than a dozen of them.

I'd say most folks in the presidential line of succession fit the definition of "VIP." Even if there are more than a dozen of them.

As far as military aviation protocol, they all are considered VIPs. Out of 1-7 codes, they're listed as a 2 on a military flight plan in the Rank/Honor Code section. Example:
S2O= S-civilian, 2-code "2", O-request nothing.

It's an old school practice of informing the arrival base ops and command that you have a VIP on board. Civ ATC doesn't care, unless they have an LOA (doubtful) giving them priority. However, many military ATC facilities give priority if informed of a code on board.

Probably quicker for him to Delaware, plus he had the Secret Service taking him to and from the station.
He did it a few times, IIRC, while VPOTUS. The disruption to the commuters aboard the train (security measures, delays is service, etc.) caused more of a headache than anticipated.

Crazy Uncle Joe used to take the Amtrak before he was Veep.

And a big todo was made about as if it was anything special. He was just a senator then.

Rep John Lewis of GA is sitting two rows in front of me as I type this. His young and eager aide is back in cattle class ;-)

Day before yesterday (Saturday, October 14) twelve of us bay area pilots flew to Castle Air Museum at the old Castle AFB (MER), and a new attraction since I last visited is a VC-9 (VIP configured Douglas DC-9) that was operated by the 89th Airlift Wing until it was donated by GSA to the museum. The tail number is 31681, and there were two sister airplanes similarly configured, 31682 and 31683. They were replaced by B-737s designated C-40B. Since the VC-9's range is only 1600 nm, it wasn't flown much internationally but was used to get in and out of smaller domestic airports that couldn't accommodate the 747 and earlier 707 airplanes used for Air Force One. 31681 was Air Force One when carrying Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush, but was used mostly for transporting first ladies and cabinet members.
The docent said there were twelve radios on board, including HF, and the crew always included the captain, first officer, and a radio operator. Later, the airplane was retrofitted with secure military communications satellite facilities. All of the seating was first class with leather upholstery, and a chunk of cabin real estate was devoted to the galley. The VC-9s were in service with the 89th Airlift Wing for more than thirty years.

0789518.jpg

Photo by Frank C. Duarte, Jr. on Airliners.net

Day before yesterday (Saturday, October 14) twelve of us bay area pilots flew to Castle Air Museum at the old Castle AFB (MER), and a new attraction since I last visited is a VC-9 (VIP configured Douglas DC-9) that was operated by the 89th Airlift Wing until it was donated by GSA to the museum. The tail number is 31681, and there were two sister airplanes similarly configured, 31682 and 31683. They were replaced by B-737s designated C-40B. Since the VC-9's range is only 1600 nm, it wasn't flown much internationally but was used to get in and out of smaller domestic airports that couldn't accommodate the 747 and earlier 707 airplanes used for Air Force One. 31681 was Air Force One when carrying Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush, but was used mostly for transporting first ladies and cabinet members.
The docent said there were twelve radios on board, including HF, and the crew always included the captain, first officer, and a radio operator. Later, the airplane was retrofitted with secure military communications satellite facilities. All of the seating was first class with leather upholstery, and a chunk of cabin real estate was devoted to the galley. The VC-9s were in service with the 89th Airlift Wing for more than thirty years.

0789518.jpg

Photo by Frank C. Duarte, Jr. on Airliners.net
IMG_3006.JPG
Worked one on departure a long time ago.

Back