Gov. Joe Manchin speaks of bipartisanship [NA]

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
How's this for a letter to the editor of the Charleston Daily Mail? :)

Democratic West Virginia governor Joe Manchin gave a radio address touting the benefits of bi-partisanship. I find it amusing that he would choose this subject. He heads a state with a Democratic governor, and a legislator ruled most firmly by Democrats for 70+ years. There is no hint whatsoever of bi-partisanship in West Virginia politics, or Joe Manchin's administration. He spoke of the inclusiveness of his party, yet forgot to mention the controversy caused within his own state's government by his requirement that employees leap to their feet and remain standing when he or his aids enter an office. He forgot to mention that he has issued an executive order prohibiting state employees from speaking to the press without his permission, or from disagreeing with him publicly, thereby preventing Republican state employees from campaigning for the candidate of their choice. Guess King Joe and Democrats don't care much for freedom.

Joe Manchin also spoke of the great strides made by states headed by Democratic governors, including his own state. Well, I wish I could figure out what he's talking about. I, and huge numbers of other younger West Virginian's, have had to flee that Democratic welfare state paradise in order to find jobs and support my family. West Virginia is dead last or nearly last in EVERY measure of prosperity and well being: jobs, income, health care, education, life expectancy, etc. Great strides, indeed. A shining example of what nearly a century of Democratic leadership can do to a state with abundant natural resources, a central location, and workers renowned for their work ethic. Sigh.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/16/dems.radio.ap/index.html

Wow, let me see if I can do this without sounding shrill.

I'm a proud Democrat, And I would ask you to please lower the anti-Democratic rhetoric. I'm sure the governor is sincere in his convictions and his efforts to improve the state. Just as I'm certain the Republican governor of my state is sincere is her efforts. People of principle and conviction can disagree. Not saying I'm an expert in West Virginia politics but I do know we Democrats do care as much about freedom as you do. I hope you realize this.

Well said. In spite of the strong feelings and words often heard, those on both sides of the aisle have the best of intentions. Unfortunately they so often don't realize that those on the opposite side are also well intentioned. "Bipartisanship" is generally requested when there's a party-line split, and what it really means is "jump ship and vote the way I want you to."
- Richard

corjulo said:
Wow, let me see if I can do this without sounding shrill.

I'm a proud Democrat, And I would ask you to please lower the anti-Democratic rhetoric. I'm sure the governor is sincere in his convictions and his efforts to improve the state. Just as I'm certain the Republican governor of my state is sincere is her efforts. People of principle and conviction can disagree. Not saying I'm an expert in West Virginia politics but I do know we Democrats do care as much about freedom as you do. I hope you realize this.

Ummm... are you planning to address the issues of fact I brought up? Or just ask that I not express a perfectly viable opinion, formed after a lifetime of experiencing the failures of that "sincerity?"

Back