Gouldings Lodge at Monument Valley

pcorman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Phil Corman
Thinking of flying to Gouldings Lodge in Monument Valley.
Understand the approach and landing are tricky... one way in, the other way out and half the runway is paved, the rest is dirt.

My questions are 1) Is the lodge a good place to stay? 2) Is your plane safe? I have heard rumors, and 3) any advice?

Phil

The lodge is decent if a little pricey for what you get in the room. But the views are great and there is no competition. You can camp at the associated campground 1/4 mile or so up the draw behind the lodge. Views aren't at good. Best campground for views is over at the Navajo Monument headquarters but you'd have to find a ride.

No alcohol in restaurant or otherwise available on site. If you want wine with your sunset, you'll have to bring it with you.

I've stayed there overnight twice and several times just for lunch or breakfast. Never had a problem nor have any been reported by friends. I've heard the rumors too. Tie down area is right next to a paved road. Field is unattended but you can see it from your room. I founds the folks in the area very nice, helpful and respectful.

Landing isn't too bad but you won't be going around from short final. You can even land a little long and save some taxi in the dirt. Watch the end of the pavement on takeoff. It want to launch my Mooney a few knots before it's ready. Call ahead if it has been raining a lot. Monitor 122.9 for the twin otters and other tourist aircraft.

Eric

Last edited:
I fly tourist in there almost daily. I have never stayed at the lodge though. Landing.....If the winds arent too strong, its no big deal. Up hill and dirt. The transition from dirt to pavement is smooth. They fixed up the dirt part of the ramp and smoothed out some of the runway. Most of the landings are with a quartering tailwind, which is good...that way we get a headwind for takeoff. Even with a direct tailwind, you will probably still have to add some power to get up to the ramp because of the hill. I will look for you. I will be flying one of the Explorer Caravans.

Back