Gotta love non-aviatiors

Tomahawk674

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tomahawk674
I was showing my friend some flying pics the other day, when I show him the pic I've attached.

I was just pointing out some things in the panel, and when I point to the sun visor he says: "and that's the HUD right?"

Guess the printed text does kind of look like a display when the sunlight shines through it.... but a HUD in a piper warrior? I thought it was hilarious....

Attachments

• DSCN0018.JPG
    DSCN0018.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 66
I cant blame him. If I saw the same thing in a military jet picture thats what I'd think it was.

Haven't you guys ever flown in a Piper? Power setting tables on the sun visors. Very handy.
Isn't that a performance chart found within Section 5? I addressed that one earlier.

Only Piper I've flown is the "AOPA's Ultimate Arrow." (www.ultimatearrow.com). It doesn't have them. Looking into a transparent visor into the sun to get power settings doesn't seem too sharp to me.
That would seem a bit awkward. I'd rather just have it on a flip checklist like I use now.

Only Piper I've flown is the "AOPA's Ultimate Arrow." (www.ultimatearrow.com). It doesn't have them. Looking into a transparent visor into the sun to get power settings doesn't seem too sharp to me.

Can't say I've ever set power while looking directly at the sun before... And it beats all the other planes, which don't have those tables on board at all.

I'm going to have to look the next time I hop in the Arrow. I've got over 50 hours in that plane and I can't say that I've noticed any performance charts on the sun visor. Either I'm not very observant (glad my wife doesn't read this board, she might agree too rapidly :D ) or it's not there.

Would be handy, but I tend to set power based on the fuel flow / manifold pressure gauge.

No charts on my visor. However, I do have a 3" instrument cover that gives me power settings at sea level, 4000, and 8000 feet.

That would look like a HUD to me too if i didnt know any better. Kudos to him for knowing what a HUD is :)

That would look like a HUD to me too if i didn't know any better. Kudos to him for knowing what a HUD is :)
HUD: A government bureaucracy that never read the "Paperwork Reduction Act." (Ever gotten a mortgage?)

Then again, how many AC's do the CFI's here have printed? I'm up over fifty in preparation.

Back