Gotta give him credit

I don't think I could ever put myself in such exposed close proximity to so many many critical moving parts.

I don't think I could ever put myself in such exposed close proximity to so many many critical moving parts.

It's the same as any autogyro except for the really high end ones. It isn't easy to design a helicopter. I think it was a major feat to build that thing. It seemed to fly very well considering.

Oh I have no doubt it is a work of mechanical engineering art. I still don't want my skull that close to that stuff!

Being smart enough to scratch build a helicopter and brave enough to test fly it is a badazz combination.

He seemed relatively careful. I thought his friend's head was a bit too close to the blades as he was talking to him while starting.

Also, taxiing that close to the cars seemed really stupid (but maybe it was just the angle that made it look like that).

No question that guy has skills, but if he takes it higher than ground effect, it would probably be one of the most dangerous aircraft I could imagine.

I think the bystanders may have even been taking quite a risk being so close!

Couldn't pay me enough to be a camera guy near one of these rotary wing homebuilt first videos.

He needs wheel pants.

Oh I have no doubt it is a work of mechanical engineering art. I still don't want my skull that close to that stuff!

I'd have more concern over those long unsupported chains driving the tail rotor.

Not concern of them doing damage to me but rather concern of them coming off and the entire machine doing damage to me.

Credit for what? Sikorsky did that 100 years ago.

There's this "aircraft" (it's owned by the Smithsonian, but currently on display at the Pima Air Museum)

20111231-CLR-866-800.jpg

The accompanying sign says something about the problem with using the pilot's legs as the landing gear and if he stumbles and the blades strike the ground they disintegrate into lethal shrapnel.

Credit for what? Sikorsky did that 100 years ago.

Uh, no, Sikorsky didn't do this "100 years ago", that would have been 1914. Mr. Sikorsky didn't immigrate to the US until 1919, and his first helicopter didn't fly until 1939.

The point here (which you apparently can't comprehend) is it takes an immense talent to build a flying helicopter from scratch as demonstrated by this Russian fellow. Crude, yes, but he seems to have solved a lot of complex engineering problems. Being a helicopter mechanic as well as a pilot I can appreciate what he's accomplished.

And CTSLi, this is for you:

The-problem-with-arguing-with-idiots_zps84dd1cb1.jpg

French came close though.

Uh, no, Sikorsky didn't do this "100 years ago", that would have been 1914. Mr. Sikorsky didn't immigrate to the US until 1919, and his first helicopter didn't fly until 1939.

The point here (which you apparently can't comprehend) is it takes an immense talent to build a flying helicopter from scratch as demonstrated by this Russian fellow. Crude, yes, but he seems to have solved a lot of complex engineering problems. Being a helicopter mechanic as well as a pilot I can appreciate what he's accomplished.
With the history corrected and all, what amazed me watching this guy was imagining Igor designing AND learning to fly the original from scratch.

Back