Gotta brag on my baby bird

N5922S

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
N5922S
Yesterday I flew JSO-LVJ-JSO. Skirting around IAH and HOU made the total round trip about 320 nm. Overall headwind/tailwind was a wash. Total fuel consumption was ... wait for it ... 11-12 gallons. Admittedly, I'm a cheap bastard, flying < 50% power (100 kt) and leaned to the max, but DAMN !!!

I do love this airplane. :):yes::happydance:

OP's User ID comes back to a DA-20, which I concur would be a damn nice little plane.

Specs say 4.2 GPH at 75%, so a cheap bastard could probably do a 3-ish hour flight on 12 gallons, no problem.

I might have to look into one of those... I don't really need 4 seats, I don't think...

Based on "N5922S", the FAA registry shows it as a DA-20 C1...they are indeed a nice plane. I Checked out in one recently but I'm just too tall to fly in the darn thing...too bad because I really enjoyed flying it.

Sorry, I thought the pic was enough. It's a 2004 DA20-C1. I bought it new in '04 and the honeymoon is still going on. :happydance:

This is my 4th plane -- F1-A, M20-C, AA1 -- but it's just such a kick-ass improvement over anything else I've ever flown. YMMV :goofy:

Based on "N5922S", the FAA registry shows it as a DA-20 C1...they are indeed a nice plane. I Checked out in one recently but I'm just too tall to fly in the darn thing...too bad because I really enjoyed flying it.

Get back !! I'm 6' 2" and 255. Headroom is not a problem, but when I fly with my circumferentially-challenged friends, shoulder room is tight.

I'm closer to 6'4 and 230. With the headset on I had to keep my head cocked a bit but it does have a fairly thick band across the head.

It took me a moment to realize it wasn't GPH. Nice man. You almost make flying sound practical. Ask me about my 12GPH for 120kts. =D

Then again that's not that bad compared to some.

Sorry, I thought the pic was enough. . .

Pic? What Pic? Com' on man . . . if you're gonna brag lets see some pics!

nopics.gif

I'm closer to 6'4 and 230. With the headset on I had to keep my head cocked a bit but it does have a fairly thick band across the head.

What seat shells are installed, I'm also 6'4" all torso and learned to fly in a Kat. I know the head cock:rofl:

However there are "low" seat shells out there that should improve the headroom. Even with the taller shells I still love the fkn thing and would have one in a heartbeat if it fit my needs

Pic? What Pic? Com' on man . . . if you're gonna brag lets see some pics!

nopics.gif

OK, here's a couple. First one is the winning shot in the KJSO Tomato Drop. :yes:

Second one is at 72TA, accessible only by plane or boat. :D

Attachments

• tom.jpg
    tom.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0422_1_2_1.JPG
    IMG_0422_1_2_1.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 71
Nice... as they say "it's the future of flying"... fuel efficient birds.
Check out anything with the new Rotax 912is. Fuel injected 120Kts at 4.2 GPH! And MoGas too! The new CTLSi is sweet. 6'4", 250lbs... no problem.
http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/aircraft/pilot-reports/flight-design/leader-of-the-pack.html

Seems the only problem you would have is finding an instructor light enough to fit with you in the CTLSi for the checkout (and DPE if going for your checkride)! That latter is a problem we have in the DuPage FSDO.

Everyone needs to get on a diet....
it's close... but by my calcs, you should be able to get a 250 lb pilot, 160 lb pax, and fuel for a good 3+ hours in, with 20 lbs to spare.

DA 20? Can you do the "wing stall pirouette"? :)

Looks like you too have had the nose fork crack

No, I saw the service letter, but I just check it whenever I air up the tires. Do you know of anyone who's actually had a problem?

And what is a wing stall pirouette? If it's like a zero-g turn, I've gotten pretty good at that.

How do you turn at zero-G's?

It's a derivation of the "impossible turn", to accomplish a course reversal with minimum altitude loss (engine failure after takeoff) and minimum radius (box canyon). I started practicing it after the baseball player flew his Cirrus into a building in NYC while trying to turn around. Here's my method:

Establish level flight at Vy or your climbout speed. Cut power. Pull up to near stall, but with just enough speed for control effectiveness. Nose down to zero g (remember, an unloaded wing will not stall). Full aileron and rudder to turn 180. Level wings and gently pull up to level flight.

I showed it to a friend in his Warrior and with a little practice, he was able to lose only about 300' in a power-off 180. A DA20 can beat that.

No, I saw the service letter, but I just check it whenever I air up the tires. Do you know of anyone who's actually had a problem?

And what is a wing stall pirouette? If it's like a zero-g turn, I've gotten pretty good at that.

Us, twice, S/N 0007 looked like you had an unpainted fork. (Diamond suggests not to paint the replacement so you can see cracks sooner.

However I doubt you have about 5,000hrs on yours yet

We can't help it if you made a bad decision and regret it. ;)

I'd take a skylane over an RV or CT anyday... Actually I'd take a skylane over almost anything else. :wink2:
I want to see an RV in the bush.

OK, here's a couple. First one is the winning shot in the KJSO Tomato Drop. :yes:

Second one is at 72TA, accessible only by plane or boat. :D

Do you have a camp at 72ta or just visiting?

Yesterday I flew JSO-LVJ-JSO. Skirting around IAH and HOU made the total round trip about 320 nm. Overall headwind/tailwind was a wash. Total fuel consumption was ... wait for it ... 11-12 gallons. Admittedly, I'm a cheap bastard, flying < 50% power (100 kt) and leaned to the max, but DAMN !!!

I do love this airplane. :):yes::happydance:

Better drive.

Do you have a camp at 72ta or just visiting?

That house belongs to a good friend of mine, Barry Bomer. He built it in 9 years of weekends. Every board was brought over by barge from Port O'Connor, as were the truck, tractor, generator, etc.

72TA was a WWII army base; the runway is 5000' long and nearly that wide ( :< )). :yesnod:

I beleive I have met him. He has a Warrior correct?

I have a camp closer to the harbor. How often do you go there.

I beleive I have met him. He has a Warrior correct?

I have a camp closer to the harbor. How often do you go there.

Josh, I sent you a PM with Barry's contact info.

I am excited about finishing my da20 checkout this week. It seems like a great plane to own and with the rental cost at the same price as a 152 you can't beat it. I'll be running full power when the hobbs meter is ticking! No wheel pants on the rental and it seems like you can flight plan at 120-125kts.

Have you had any issues with the rudder cables?

No, I'm coming up on the 10 year replacement point, but I kinda favor the old if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it rule. :wink2:

I am excited about finishing my da20 checkout this week. It seems like a great plane to own and with the rental cost at the same price as a 152 you can't beat it. I'll be running full power when the hobbs meter is ticking! No wheel pants on the rental and it seems like you can flight plan at 120-125kts.

The only real negative to owing one is that they are still too new, so you can't score them as cheap as some other planes.

Well that and they are a little on the difficult to get into side if you have mobility issues.

The only real negative to owing one is that they are still too new, so you can't score them as cheap as some other planes.

Well that and they are a little on the difficult to get into side if you have mobility issues.

I really must take exception to that. I have friends with Grummans, a Warrior, a Mooney, RV-xs -- ALL OF THEM harder to get into than a Diamond. Cessnas are more accessible, but then flying a Cessna is like kissing your sister. :lol::wink2:

Finished my checkout and got night current in one shot! The brakes are definitely "interesting", they are actually having maintenance check on them Monday.

The way it glides I was making learjet size traffic patterns. I plan on going up to practice more landings, including no flap on a longer runway.

65kts on final 50 over the numbers seemed to work fine.

Finished my checkout and got night current in one shot! The brakes are definitely "interesting", they are actually having maintenance check on them Monday.

The way it glides I was making learjet size traffic patterns. I plan on going up to practice more landings, including no flap on a longer runway.

65kts on final 50 over the numbers seemed to work fine.

Slip it, it's a blast and needed to make anything resembling a normal approach as these suckers just gliiiiide

Back