Got to see a B1 Bomber today

comanche

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Comanche
While transitioning class D airspace with ATC approval I must have gotten on the good side of the ATC guy as he vectored me flying a 172 within a couple miles separation and 2000 feet lower than a B1 bomber doing touch and goes at KGRK. Gray Army Airfield.

What a fantastic sight.

When I was at Dyess AFB (one of the two bases the B1 was stationed at the time) I had access to the B1 and they are awesome planes and when their wings are brought in, Mach here we come!

Last edited:
When I used to fly pipeline North of Dyess...lol:yikes:

I had more than one encounter in one collection field in the middle of an MOA I'd top out at 150' in some reversals and I'd come across B1B and F-16 guys practice. Once I even saw the SR-71 take off.

I became golf buddies with the general at Sheppard right next door after one of his T-38s almost blindsided me (pipe was on my left at the runway threshold, I am on the grass, he comes from my right well below his glide path nose high. I barely got over him). I asked him how low the USAF allowed pilots to go in training and he told me there was a 500' hard deck rule. I never complained and I thank God for the black smoke they put out down low. On the days they do it, it's clear and a million and you see em a long way off.

Sheppard is where I got the "cleared to land, check gear down" in a Skyhawk. Gotta love the military controllers and their special phraseology at training bases. Haha.

"Gear down and welded, cleared to land Runway 17, Cessna 250." Got my chance to be funny. They laughed. ;) ;) ;)

On a later trip I was told, "If you can keep your base turn West of the taxiway of Runway 15R, you are cleared to land Runway 17. Check gear down. Caution, crossing high-speed traffic for Runway 15R, multiple F-16s."

Fun airport. Got an airshow while turning base and while fueling up.

When did they add a third 15/33 Runway? I don't remember there being three. Makes sense though. They get busy there.

The civil FBO at the south end used to be named Blackbird Aviation and the owner or manager was a retired Colonel who used to fly them. His office had some interesting photos.

Good stop when going KAPA-KDWH but man... KSPS is in the middle of frakkin' nowhere.

Since I started this "show & tell" I was a member of the long defunct Fort Hood Flying Club. One day I was flying that SUPERSONIC C-150 when the tower advised that their were multiple "heat seekers" arriving Gray and it might be prudent to return to suspend activities for a few moments later, a bunch at least four F4's did straight-ins and landed.

I once got to photograph the shuttle Atlantis. Going to look for a photo of me and it. If iI can find it, I will post it. It was aboard a 747 and landed at Gray for a refueling stop.

Glad you like the B-1B!

I've got 10 years in the bird. Dyess, Grand Forks and Ellsworth AF bases.

Back