Got to help with a J3 Cub rebuild...A couple of pics

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
Have to admit, the cloth, stitches, tape, glue, and ironing made for a real eye-opener for someone who is used to welding and wrenching on old Harley iron! Should've posted a pic of the completed rudder, which has been finished in all the colors you could get a Cub in....Yellow. LOL

Pic of the airframe

2012-12-31_16-53-34_401.jpg

Pic of the wing as we tape/glue/iron/measure the vent hole areas. Not me in the pic, but an innocent pilot...

2012-12-31_16-53-28_933.jpg

Like!!! :) Oh, wait ... not Facebook. Thanks for posting - hopefully you'll continue with followups?

When I saw the beam on the rear wall of his hangar, I laughed, there too, every horizontal surface becomes a storage shelf. :)

Never allow a good space go unfilled.

Attachments

• DSCN3295.JPG
    DSCN3295.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
It's death trap. No glass panel. How's the pilot spoze to find the ground without glass?

(for the anally compelled, the above is sarcasm)

I'll pass the compliments on to my friend and CFI, who has done the majority of the work. This is the plane I'll use to get my tailwheel cert...assuming the 65-horsepower engine will get my 270lb butt plus my instructor off the ground... :rolleyes2:

This is the plane I'll use to get my tailwheel cert...assuming the 65-horsepower engine will get my 270lb butt plus my instructor off the ground... :rolleyes2:
It'll do it... but don't expect miracles. And be prepared for a BIG difference when you take it up solo... a GOOD difference. :D

Very nice work, BTW... pass that on.;)

I'll pass the compliments on to my friend and CFI, who has done the majority of the work. This is the plane I'll use to get my tailwheel cert...assuming the 65-horsepower engine will get my 270lb butt plus my instructor off the ground... :rolleyes2:
Assuming you are going to re-weight the aircraft after the new clothes are on... The Cub at 5C1 that I fly a lot comes in at 709 lbs and has a max gross of 1220 lbs. With me at 150, and 72 lbs of fuel (12 gals) I can generally carry up to about 280 lbs (My personal cutoff - leaving 9 lbs room for a handheld radio and anything in the baggage compartment, so... if your instructor is light, you'll probably be fine.
Oh, and if it's a hot day, it takes all of the pattern to abeam the numbers to get to 1000'... if you try hard.

Ryan

Wow a Franklin 65, that's pretty rare these days.

Well, after a long time in the rebuild working out the kinks the Cub is finally ready to try out. My CFI calls this morning and says "hey, what are you doing for lunch today? The A/P says the Cub is ready so let's go fire her up..."

Needless to say, my CFI and I are going to the airport at lunch to play with a newly-built flying machine. I'll try to take pics and post them up later tonight... Kinda feeling like a little kid on Christmas morning! :goofy:

She fired up and ran great! Now we need to put the 'good' prop on, finalize some of the magneto wire lengths, and button things up. :goofy:

I've posted lots of pics into forums from Photobucket, but never a video. Hopefully this short one comes out. My CFI, near the cockpit, put tons of hours into this rebuild and the smile on his face tells it all. Besides, I did some of the motor work so I might have had my fingers crossed as well...

Well, it took a bit to get the legal paperwork done, weight and balance, etc. Looks like we have the green light (and good weather) to try a first flight today at 4:00 EST. My friend Mark (CFI) will be the test pilot. I'll post pics and/or a video when possible. Lucky me, I get to come back to meetings at the hospital from 6-9 tonight, but will be "out of the office" from around 3:30 until 5:59. :D

That's awesome! What a great video taking off into the sunset. Cant wait to see it.

Nice, so have you climbed into the front seat yet?:rofl:

Haven't even tried Henning. At 270 lbs I push my CFI and I WAYYYY over the W&B limits even with the tanks half full. My kids remind me that when I get into my little car I resemble the Mr. Incredible scene in the movie. They actually want to see a pic of my trying to fit in the Cub front seat so they can post it on I-Funny. Oh well...

Back