Got to fly an amazing plane today!

Archammer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingSchmidt
So, it's funny the things you hear when you're a kid, that never resonate with you until you're much older. I guess the point is, that they do...

My point is, that I've been working very hard, and sacrificed a lot of outings, and "fun stuff" so that I can help build this business. My father told me when I got my first job, that "In order to do the things you truly enjoy, you must first work hard to earn them, so that you appreciate it."

Well, that paid off today, because I was lucky enough to fly a Meyers 200D today, and what a plane!! All steel body, IO-540 with cans the size of my head, flush retractable gear, and all the old school knobs and lights that should go on a plane like that.

10156132_10203543450775133_70171687_n.jpg

Now, if you've never heard of a Meyers 200, don't feel bad. I had no clue what it was, until Dean gave me a great history lesson about it, and then of course the ol' Google filled in the gaps. I won't go into all the neat details, rather let you go check it out on your own.

1545604_10203543450095116_937329737_n.jpg

Take off at maybe 500ft of rwy, with a nice headwind of course, but still just popped off the runway and wanted to climb, baby climb! 1500fpm at 125kts and she just kept getting faster. We leveled off at 3500, headed SE and we hit 185kts before we had time to dial the mixture back.

10153301_10203543450495126_1986853636_n.jpg

When we were doing pre-flight checklist, I couldn't believe how short the throw on the yoke was. I mean full deflection was maybe 20 degress at most. Not only that, he informed me that at full deflection, it's an aileron roll, period... WHAT?? Ya no ****. I just wanted to flash that info before the rest.

So, having known that information I was sure it would be extremely touchy and heavy hand flying throughout the run. Well boy was I wrong. Once he said "your airplane", I tried to wipe the drool off my mouth and grabbed a hold. That plane carries about 80 gallons, but we only had about 35 so we were light anyway, and she sat flat and plowed through the air like a thoroughbred horse. Hands off we were nice and straight, no baby controls. Then I made a turn, it took a nice hand hold and over she went. The turns were crisp and clean, but the controls felt solid in your hands, and the rudders let you know everything right at your toes. She spun around right on a dime, and back the other way.

1926888_10203543450295121_876168991_n.jpg

Sidebar, before you say anything, I'm not wearing my headset, because he has Lemo plugs, and I didn't have an adapter OK, so SHUT IT! :) hehe, I know I'm never going to live it down, but that's life. :lol:

I'll leave it at that, but there were a few things in that plane that I found very cool and things I'd never seen before. First, was the 4th knob in the center panel. You have your Throttle, Prop, Mix and a 4th knob... It is for the elevator trim. I found that very cool, and the rule is that you "screw the nose down". In addition to that, the prop is not offset to counteract P-Factor. It's straight ahead, because it's more efficient, but that made for some serious rudder pushing on takeoff. The other cool thing was the air compression seals for the door. So once you get it and locked her up, he squeezed a little ball on his side and it sealed up. There were no co-pilot brakes, I guess they don't like shadow brakers... hehe. The gear was hydraulic, nothing special, but you load the line with hydraulic pressure by pulling the gear handle UP, then you push down to drop the gear. To put it up, you gear up, wait for it, and then the handle goes to a neutral position to turn the pump off. The last thing, was 40 degree flaps! Ya, that's right, we were pushing 185kts cruise and then slowed to 70 for final! Ha! I never ever would have thought that 70 kts was vref.

I had a great day today, and dammit I deserved it! I absolutely LOVE to fly, and it was wonderful to get back in the saddle today. Thank you Dean!

Thanks for reading. :)

1966702_10203543449855110_1987510935_n.jpg

Last edited:
Well, at least we know you had a good headset with you!

If you really liked it, you can own the type certificate and enough part to build a couple. It's for sale, you know.

Dean is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He let me fly this one too! If I weren't so in love with our 180, I'd buy his in a heartbeat and thumb my nose at every BO owner around. ;)

The Meyers is an astounding aircraft for it's era.

Shane thats awesome! I have always loved the Navion and honestly can't tell the difference between a Navion and a Meyers. Beautiful plane. Curious what was the fuel burn at 185 kts?

Shane -
Thanks so much for sharing! I've admired the Meyers for as long as I can remember. Clearly it's the inspiration for the Lancair IV, and maybe even faster than a Sia Marchetti SF260 and any Bonanza with the same power. It's one of the few GA airplanes I'd really like to fly. Were the controls heavy at speed? Was it comfortable? How would you compare it to a Bonanza? Quite a website the owners put together, lots of great Meyers fun facts and lore. Richard Bach had one.

It's one of the few GA airplanes I'd really like to fly.

Doug - I'd be happy to take you up in my 200D sometime . . . sometime after my spinner is replaced :mad: I'll PM you with my contact info.

Shane - nice write up. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Dean is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He let me fly this one too! If I weren't so in love with our 180, I'd buy his in a heartbeat and thumb my nose at every BO owner around. ;)

The Meyers is an astounding aircraft for it's era.

Hehe, indeed! Well, I'm going to force myself to get back out to the field more often and go flying, so if you ever need a flying buddy for your 180, I'm your guy!

Shane thats awesome! I have always loved the Navion and honestly can't tell the difference between a Navion and a Meyers. Beautiful plane. Curious what was the fuel burn at 185 kts?

Rich of peak, I think it was about 17-18gph and 185 TAS, and when we went lean of peak we lost about 15-20 kts and dropped to about 14-14.5gph, so just a small loss of airspeed, but the range extends almost to 1k NM!

Shane -
Thanks so much for sharing! I've admired the Meyers for as long as I can remember. Clearly it's the inspiration for the Lancair IV, and maybe even faster than a Sia Marchetti SF260 and any Bonanza with the same power. It's one of the few GA airplanes I'd really like to fly. Were the controls heavy at speed? Was it comfortable? How would you compare it to a Bonanza? Quite a website the owners put together, lots of great Meyers fun facts and lore. Richard Bach had one.

No, the controls were strong, but not bullying. I felt like I could make the plane go where I wanted, not the other way around. The inputs were just small. So it didn't take much of anything to get it to turn, but it didn't just toss you into a knife edge. The space inside was EXCELLENT. I don't even think we touched shoulders and he and I are about the same size (6'2" 225). Plus the visibility in that plane, with those tapered rear windows was AWESOME!
As far as comparisons, I'd have to use a car reference for the comparison. The 'Nanners always feel like a Chevy Tahoe to me. Powerful, and can shovel a bit, rugged. The Meyers felt like a 1970's Corvette Stingray. Low slung, rompy, and ready to turn and burn. I don't know if that helps at all, but that's my story. :)

Last edited:
How neat is that? I have a friend that used to have one before I met him, but he sold it and bought a Baron. That's the closest I've ever gotten to going for a ride in one. :rolleyes:

I am not trying to pee on the party, really, I'm not. The Meyers is a great example of a powerful airplane and what the balance of power and weight can accomplish, but you guys really need to fly an RV-10. :yes:

:D

Last edited:
Great report on a great airplane. Now you have to find a Meyers 145 so you can repeat the experience in a taildragger! The Micco SP26 was a modernized Meyers 145 that had a brief production run in Florida. The Micco is fully aerobatic and has always been a toy I would love to have in my hangar. For grins and chuckles, you should also check out the Interceptor 400. That was a pressurized, Garrett/AiResearch turboprop adaptation of the Meyers 200. So many planes - so little time and such limited funds in my account - SIGH!

Great report on a great airplane. Now you have to find a Meyers 145 so you can repeat the experience in a taildragger! The Micco SP26 was a modernized Meyers 145 that had a brief production run in Florida. The Micco is fully aerobatic and has always been a toy I would love to have in my hangar. For grins and chuckles, you should also check out the Interceptor 400. That was a pressurized, Garrett/AiResearch turboprop adaptation of the Meyers 200. So many planes - so little time and such limited funds in my account - SIGH!

Good stuff!! Man what a story about Meyers Aircraft Company. That Interceptor 400 is ridiculously cool!

4864L.jpg

Meyers adapted Interceptor Company's Intercepter 400 over San Antonio Texas by Klein Bernhard

Last edited:
Back