"Got the traffic"

I had the opportunity to see a 757 pass from left to right at my altitude..at..a distance only slightly more then that. Scared the #@$@ out of me...MSP approach really messed that one up.

Went something like this:

"Cessna XXX, traffic will be a Boeing 757 your altitude passing to your south"
I was heading north..I said something like
"negative contact. can't see to the south"
"Cessna XXX, caution wake turbulence, descend 6000 immedititely"
"uhhh...traffic just passed in front of me..going to 6000"

Cruising back to CRG once at 1500' after a workout in the practice area, I watched as 2 S-3 Vikings passed directly under me heading west at about 1000'. Took me by surprise as I didn't see them until they were pretty darn close.

Frank Browne said:
Cruising back to CRG once at 1500' after a workout in the practice area, I watched as 2 S-3 Vikings passed directly under me heading west at about 1000'. Took me by surprise as I didn't see them until they were pretty darn close.
had two F111s go under me when I was approacing RAF Lakenheath in a PA38. I was at 1500MSL and they were a thousand below me. That was a cool sight!

Another was not too long ago I was at 4500 MSL when I saw a Southwest 737 coming out form underneath my plane on its way to Midway. That was a little bit of a pucker. Would've liked to have flight following but this was in Chicago Approach airspace and lots o luck. They prefer having close calls.

Last edited:
I once had a C5-A pass me on the right about 1/4 mile away, he was climbing out of Dover AFB and i was heading to OC Md. BOY ARE THOSE SUCKERS BIG. then he made a right hand 270 and passed in front of me about 2 mile away. and yes even at 2 miles they are still BIG.
Dave G

Shipoke said:
I once had a C5-A pass me on the right about 1/4 mile away, he was climbing out of Dover AFB and i was heading to OC Md. BOY ARE THOSE SUCKERS BIG. then he made a right hand 270 and passed in front of me about 2 mile away. and yes even at 2 miles they are still BIG.
Dave G
From 1/4 mile, I guess so! I would have...well...I would have had to land after that. :hairraise:

During my training for my privat I was lyying under the hood and my instructor said that enough for now remove the foggles (he was real calm). When I removed the foggles there was a DC3 at my altitude flying strait at me 1/4 mi away that just took off from Fairbanks (I had already contacted FAI and had a squak code on my way in to land). As I dove to the left I got a hurried transmission from FAI to make a fast 90deg to the left to aviod the DC3 (thanks).

smigaldi said:
had two F111s go under me when I was approacing RAF Lakenheath in a PA38. I was at 1500MSL and they were a thousand below me. That was a cool sight!

Another was not too long ago I was at 4500 MSL when I saw a Southwest 737 coming out form underneath my plane on its way to Midway. That was a little bit of a pucker. Would've liked to have flight following but this was in Chicago Approach airspace and lots o luck. They prefer having close calls.

did you even try to get FF????????and dont give me the standard well last time they were too busy.because we are very busy here and cant always get to everyone all the time. i would not call 500 feet between vfr/ifr a close call, sounds like FAR seperation to me.and if you did call and i gave you a heading or an alt restriction for traffic would you not complain about atc giving instructions in class E????????

og/atcs
c90

I was doing solo photography over my home town, some wide circles over the St. George River which separates Cushing and Saint George/South Thomaston. That's within, especially during the summer, considerable traffic-talk with Knox County Regional RKD(home of the adjacent http://www.ohtm.org.)

"Knox county traffic: Red and white Cessna 7872Golf will be making extended photo runs over St. George River/Cushing, just North of Pleasant Point -- varying altitudes." There were several replies, though I spotted nobody. About 15 minutes passed and I heard, "Little red Cessna, you're looking good down there." I looked up and well into its climbout was a Lear Jet. Before MBNA began consolidating its process centers in Maine they had three flights a day out of RKD, carrying paper/data to Maryland.

HR

Last edited:
The closest and fastest thing I have had go under was a P-51 Mustang at 500' below me. Now you see him, now you don't.

larrysb said:
I had an F4 Phantom drop out of the overcast, proceed left to right in front of me, a student pilot at the time in a AA5A.

Well at least he was in a suitable plane to tangle with the Phantom. ;)

ogogog said:
did you even try to get FF????????and dont give me the standard well last time they were too busy.because we are very busy here and cant always get to everyone all the time. i would not call 500 feet between vfr/ifr a close call, sounds like FAR seperation to me.and if you did call and i gave you a heading or an alt restriction for traffic would you not complain about atc giving instructions in class E????????

og/atcs
c90
Yes and ATC said "don't bother, too busy". C90 offers basically ZERO services to pilots in the Chicago area and could care less that they are creating airspace that is less safe. Center is much better than the TRACON. The South Elgin guys need to help us FLIBS a bit more.

For FF in the C90 area I am 1/4 this year

Last edited:
jangell said:
I had the opportunity to see a 757 pass from left to right at my altitude..at..a distance only slightly more then that. Scared the #@$@ out of me...MSP approach really messed that one up.

Went something like this:

"Cessna XXX, traffic will be a Boeing 757 your altitude passing to your south"
I was heading north..I said something like
"negative contact. can't see to the south"
"Cessna XXX, caution wake turbulence, descend 6000 immedititely"
"uhhh...traffic just passed in front of me..going to 6000"

Was that for you to decend UNDER the 757's flight path? That's just the opposite of what you want to do. The the wake will be below and downwind of the jet's path.

How about as you're taxiing to the FBO after landing and ground says, "Cherokee, be advised that commuter jet you're about to pass behind is starting his engines." :hairraise:

Ok...THEN WHAT do I do? I just got prepared to hold aileron into the jet like it was a crosswing...like that would help.

ogogog said:

og/atcs
c90
Yeah we keep trying and it's "we can't HEARRRR you".

mikea said:
Was that for you to decend UNDER the 757's flight path? That's just the opposite of what you want to do. The the wake will be below and downwind of the jet's path.
Considering the distance that was involved...very little..and the close rate between me and the jet..and the crappy climb performance of a C172 with passengers on a summer day at 6,500 feet.

I'd rather go down... vs. trying to forge ahead. I'm not sure how quickly the wake drops (I beleive it is in some type of circular pattern that slowly drops) but it is quite possible that I wouldn't have been able to outclimb it...and staying at my altitude might have ran me right into it.

You can make a C172 descend at a pretty steep angle.

More or less the controller told me to go down. I wasn't about to argue with him..who knows if there were other airplane. I dropped 500 feet in an instant.. The whole deal actually made my passengers quite nervous.

A bunch of gibberish on the radio they don't understand...followed by a huge jet directly in front of us...followed by a rapid drop of 500 feet.

Considering how I didn't feel a bump of wake...and I'm here to type this. I'd say I did the right thing.

Last edited:
jangell said:
Considering the distance that was involved...very little..and the close rate between me and the jet..and the crappy climb performance of a C172 with passengers on a summer day at 6,500 feet.

I'd rather go down... vs. trying to forge ahead. I'm not sure how quickly the wake drops (I beleive it is in some type of circular pattern that slowly drops) but it is quite possible that I wouldn't have been able to outclimb it...and staying at my altitude might have ran me right into it.

You can make a C172 descend at a pretty steep angle.

More or less the controller told me to go down. I wasn't about to argue with him..who knows if there were other airplane. I dropped 500 feet in an instant.. The whole deal actually made my passengers quite nervous.

A bunch of gibberish on the radio they don't understand...followed by a huge jet directly in front of us...followed by a rapid drop of 500 feet.

Considering how I didn't feel a bump of wake...and I'm here to type this. I'd say I did the right thing.

I agree for short closure distances, and it's what I've done a few times in time sensitive scenarios otherwise, the benefits of climbing the aircraft is considered as well.

Back