Got my ticket wet! (long)

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
I was undecided whether to go flying at all today and discussed the matter with my CFII. He reminded me that the prerequisite for IFR flight in near-freezing temps is to have the "golden out". If I get in the clouds and start picking up ice, what is my out? Reported bases were about 1600 MSL, MVA near KVLL is somewhere around 2300 MSL. I can't just descend IFR out of it without flying an approach. So what do I do? But the inversion began around 2500 feet and temps were well above freezing by 3000, so as long as I could still climb, I should be good as long as there is no SLD. And no SLD was forecast. So I filed... to KPTK, which is about 13 nm from home base, and requested 3000.

Things got interesting very quickly.

Once airborne I noticed the bases were lower than reported, around 1400. Even before getting fully in the clag I noticed a whitish spot on my left wing, on the red paint about 1/4 of the way out from the root. It seemed to get more solid once I was at about 2200. The OAT read 0C. I started to get nervous. Was it ice, or just a dense spot of moisture? Things began to happen very quickly, departure turned me north and offered me the LOC BC 27L, I said I wanted the RNAV because reported bases were about 500 AGL at KPTK, which sounded iffy, and the RNAV has a LPV DA of 200. They agreed, turned me east and cleared me direct KUHNA, the IAF on the south side of the "T". At this point I was trying to let the A/P fly so that I could devote more brain cells to figuring out if I was really seeing ice, which I would then have reported to ATC. By the time I was up to 3000 though, I noticed beads of water streaming from the area. The OAT now read 3C. I heaved a sigh of relief. Now everything was happening very quickly as I said, and before I knew it the A/P took me right through KUHNA. In hindsight I should have expected this as its GPSS steering is not aggressive enough to follow a 90 degree turn very well. At the time though, I thought the A/P had failed, so I disengaged it and hand flew it from there. I half expected ATC to say something, but apparently I recovered quickly enough, and once established inbound from GUZVY toward the FAC I flew a pretty good approach and broke out about 150-200 feet above DA. The bases were ragged, the windshield was wet, and I had to strain to see the REILS and the runway lights (I think the rabbit was going too, but I could barely see it), but they were clearly there with room to spare. Once I was on the ground and parked I glanced at that spot on the wing from my seat, and it still looked whitish, with lots of water beads around it. From outside the airplane, it was clearly liquid.

At KPTK I bought some charts, told the owner of the FBO about my maybe trace ice "encounter" and listened to a couple of stories about really bad ice. After that experience I was on the verge of leaving the airplane and calling my CFII to pick me up. But the AWOS at KVLL told of a ceiling varying between 800 and 1000 AGL, with surface temps of 7C. Surely even if I picked up a trace, it would be melted by the time I landed. So I got back in the airplane and called up Ground to pick up my clearance.

A slight glitch at this point, as they had no record of my flight plan in the system. Grrr. Foreflight said it had been filed, and it was about 15 minutes after my proposed departure time. Luckily ATC was able to put me in the system for that short flight back to KVLL, and I was off.

I was a lot less nervous on the way back! I didn't even look at the wings, there wasn't time. Over to departure, what approach do you want? the RNAV 9, okay, cleared direct CELUB. The controller was busy and blew me through CELUB before clearing me for the approach. Now comes the part where I got really upset with the newly redesigned RNAV 9 (which is also the ONLY available approach into KVLL because the PSI VORTAC is OTS indefinitely). The old version of the RNAV was a classic "T" shape with IAFs on the ends of the crossbar, and an IF/IAF at the crossing point. The new approach has just a straight-in course with a HILPT at the sole IAF, CELUB. There is also a TAA with a NoPT zone if you're coming anywhere from the west half-circle centered at CELUB. I was coming almost straight from the north but slightly to the west, in the NoPT zone, so I asked the controller whether I was cleared straight-in, and he said yes. But... the 480 doesn't know about NoPT zones in TAAs. It knows only about NoPT legs. It will sequence to the hold unless you do something, like Direct-select-Flyleg. I used to think that would be no big deal even though I tried to avoid having to do it when it was still possible to just fly a NoPT leg. Now there is no way around it and I really hate it, especially when the controller takes me PAST the fix where I was supposed to turn inbound.

The rest of the flight was uneventful. I flew another good approach. Winds were 300 at 7, BKN008 OVC012. The field is at 727 MSL. My plan was to circle to land 27 if I was comfortably in the clear at circling MDA (1400), otherwise land straight in. I was still in the ragged bases even at the stepdown altitude of 1360, so straight in it was. Again the windshield was wet, in-flight vis from there was not great (I guessed about 3 SM, though reported as 10) and I was about 1.5 out and close to the straight-in MDA before I saw the runway. I pulled into the runup area and quickly shut down and called DTW App to cancel IFR in case someone else was waiting to get in or out.

So ended my first solo IMC experience. My takeaways are as follows:

1. I am even more afraid of ice than I thought. I fixated on that spot and relied too much on the A/P, getting behind the plane and letting it blow me past KUHNA before turning. Fixation is bad. I need to fly the plane first and foremost.

2. Remember the plan, remember your outs. I was there because the layer where icing might be possible was thin. I should have remembered that and focused on evaluating whether the plan was still good. It's one thing to be aware of the possibility of ice, but I need to focus on flying the plane.

3. If I have to do a flyleg to bypass a HILPT, get it set up well in advance. I was a little behind the plane at that point. It should only be three keystrokes.

4. I must be jaded or something, because I felt absolutely nothing when the runway appeared before me out of the clag. I knew it was there because the gauges told me so. The only question was whether I would see it before I had to miss.

5. On the plus side, I flew my first solo IMC flight, and it was true "hard" IFR, with two approaches almost to minimums... definitely loggable. I can really do this!!

Overall I give myself a B- on this one. I did okay, but I need to do better.

Last edited:
I'd give you an A.

Sure there is always stuff we can do better. We are our own worst critics as it should be.

Things I liked:

You went out and flew on a real IFR day.

You made a good plan with outs, checked the weather, made a decision

Found out the plane won't fall out of the sky if in fact that was a little ice.

Proved you can fly to minimums without a CFI.

Suggestions:

When I am concerned about ice, and there is some funky stuff going on like inversion I write down the temps at all the altitudes I cross (1000' maybe even 500 if conditions change). That way I can compare them to the approach plate and know if I will be in the ice if I follow the approach plate altitudes and I can confirm my outs if needed. For example if there is an inversion and positive temps above the approach altitudes I will fly the approach higher.

Very well done!

Glad you lived to tell the story and took care of business which you learned.. And its fun to know and probably reassuring your IFR skills worked. Good going

Congrats! When I looked at the FIP at around 4:30 this morning, they were showing a chance of SLD at both 1000' and 3000' on a NE/SW band crossing just south of Chicago, at both our expected time of departure and of return. We decided that there was no need for us to make it to KMIE, so we scrubbed. Glad that you were able to go out, get the wings wet, and experience some real IFR flying!

Note that we were flying over a hundred miles south of you. I'm in no way impugning your decision to launch!

Last edited:
Good write up. Good decision making. I have a 480 as well. While it's still a very capable box, it has it's quirks compared to a 430/530.

You rule!

Still need to get my ticket wet...

Great job! One more piece in the experience assembly.

Great job! One more piece in the experience assembly.
Well yes, and maybe one fewer in the luck bucket... :rolleyes:

The more I think about it, the less good I feel about the decision. Sure it was calculated, sure I had a plan and an out, but it was based on theory, on a forecast. I didn't really know until I was at 3000 and saw 3C on the OAT, hence my getting rattled on the climbout. If the forecast had been completely out the window, if there had been no inversion and I quickly picked up enough ice to lose the ability to climb, what then?

There are a lot of gaps in my wx knowledge. The big one here was, was I right in placing confidence in a thermal profile that was consistent across the entire area? How many separate soundings was that profile based on? How fine is the "grid" of balloons? Surely they don't have them 10 miles apart, it has to be coarser than that.

Alex, that's a good suggestion, thanks. This time I was making a mental note of the temps since my workload was such that I didn't have time to write them down (though part of that was my own making). I stayed high on the way to the G/S intercept to minimize my time passing through the cold layer, and of course here it was pretty easy to remember. But if the thermal profile was more complicated, yes it would have been very helpful to have data.

Grant, of course you were also to the west of the forecast SLD at 3000. I saw it too, and scrubbed going to KMIE myself for that reason. It was between us, and its eastern edge was pretty close to KFWA and KMIE, probably somewhere around KIND. I was toying with a trip to northern OH in search of "real IFR"... lol! I found it close to home just fine.

Thanks for the backpatting everyone. I think I need to learn more and think harder about what I know my outs to be. I'm even thinking about spending more money on redundancy, such as a backup alternator. At one time this plane had a backup vacuum system, and I can't find the log entry where it was taken out, but the AFM supplement for the backup vacuum mentions an indicator that is no longer in the panel. A vacuum failure in IMC would be little more than an annoyance though. My most critical instruments (GPS, HSI, TC, NAV/COMM radios) are all electrical, and an alternator failure in IMC would be a nightmare scenario.

Liz, it sounds like you still have some Wx uncertainty (as do we all!). I recommend you contact Scott Dennsteadt about some additional Wx training, or maybe get his Ice is Not Nice CDs.

Liz, it sounds like you still have some Wx uncertainty (as do we all!). I recommend you contact Scott Dennsteadt about some additional Wx training, or maybe get his Ice is Not Nice CDs.
Funny you should mention that! I bought the online version of Ice Is Not Nice last week. I've found that I cannot access it, the only links that work are to the detailed writeup and to add the CD to my cart. The details page has server-side errors at the bottom. :( I need to email him. Maybe CD is the only way to go? :dunno:

Follow-up: Scott replied within a half hour with a simple fix. Now THAT is great support!! Thanks again Scott! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Given the temperature inversion, was there a risk of freezing rain? If so, what made you feel that this was a manageable risk? I'm not suggesting what you did was unsafe-- just trying to learn so I can apply. So please don't take these as pointed questions. I'm not instrument rated, (I am working on it) and don't pretend to be qualified to second guess.

My IFR knowledge is pretty limited, so please forgive me.

If you had to go missed at KVLL, you would navigate via GPS to PSI. True statement?

Given the temperature inversion, was there a risk of freezing rain? If so, what made you feel that this was a manageable risk? I'm not suggesting what you did was unsafe-- just trying to learn so I can apply. So please don't take these as pointed questions. I'm not instrument rated, (I am working on it) and don't pretend to be qualified to second guess.

Good question. I'm no expert so here's my understanding: an inversion above a freezing layer is not necessarily bad unless the dew point spread is also small, thus increasing the likelihood of wet precipitation falling through the freeze zone from above.

Was the box and the switchology properly engaged for the turn? Most GPSS boxes correctly begin a turn in advance of a waypoint and the 'T' approaches are very common - and are fly by not fly over WP's . . .

If you forgot to engage instead of arm the approach - then its not gonna turn you at all . .

On the freezing rain question: immediately behind the cold front was ushering in drier air, and there were no reports of precip until you got quite a bit further west, around KGRR, where not coincidentally there was also forecast SLD according to the FIP. I did scrub the idea of going down to OH because I saw precip down there, but the Skew-T showed the whole column above freezing so there probably wouldn't have been any freezing rain. But yes, the possibility of unforecast SLD and freezing rain was very much on my mind once I was in the clag. I was in a changing weather situation without solid observations to back up the forecast. That's why I'm finding my decision not so great in hindsight, even though it worked out okay.

Joe, I don't know what you mean by "forgot to engage instead of arm the approach". The STEC-20 with GPSS doesn't have modes like that that I'm aware of. There are two NAV intensities on the 20 itself, but my understanding is that if the GPS is sending the commands then it's the GPSS module that's receiving them and controlling the plane. There was a course, direct to KUHNA then a left turn onto the initial approach course toward the IF/IAF, and the A/P should have made the turn. For some reason it doesn't do 90 degree turns very well. It didn't help that there was a screaming tailwind up there from the west (I forgot to mention that). I think that it actually was turning me, but way too slowly. I've had to disengage it before during VFR practice for that reason. My avionics tech is aware of the problem but doesn't know what to do about it, short of pulling the unit and sending it in.

Not talking about the GPSS - the 480 itself needs the approach active - was it active? Or just loaded? It does work a little bit like the 430/530 boxes in that regard . . .

The GPSS takes the output from the GPS/VOR/HSI to command a turn . . .

If you mean, did I EXEC the modified FP with the approach in it, yes. If I hadn't, I couldn't have selected KUHNA from it and gone direct, since it wouldn't have been part of the active FP.

I've made that mistake a number of times, and wondered why the waypoint I wanted to navigate to didn't appear when I hit the Direct key. Doh!

My IFR knowledge is pretty limited, so please forgive me.

If you had to go missed at KVLL, you would navigate via GPS to PSI. True statement?
That's the published miss as of the new cycle, yes. Since PSI is OTS, there is no other legal way to navigate to it right now. I imagine that in a few years, there will be a waypoint where PSI used to be, and it will serve the same function.

Now if I actually had to go missed from KVLL, I would have gotten back with DTW Departure and they would probably have asked me my intentions and vectored me around until I was set up to wherever else I was going to try next.

At least, that's my guess based on what happens in practice. I've yet to go missed for real.

Nice job. I had my IR ticket for about a year before I got it wet, and then it was just to get down through a 4000 foot layer to VMC conditions below for the approach. Right now flying in the clouds would turn the plane into an icicle, and I don't like ice on a 172 or 182 any more than you do.

Back