Got my "license to learn" today!

lewy15

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
lewy15
Well as the title states, I passes my checkride for PP-ASEL. Its been a long road which began last May when I started flight training, I could have had it completed about 4 months ago but diffrent reasons (mostly being lazy) prevented that from happening. I've been scheduling and cancelling it since January 3rd. I've had to cancel six or more times, at least five for weather and one mechanical (throttle cable broke on a run-up headed to my checkride).

This morning I got up and checked the weather and it seemed to be fairly decent weather, other than cold. I got my briefing and there was an AIRMET for IFR conditions but they were pretty scatterd. The METAR's for the around the area I would be flying (KEST-KSHL) were either overcast 049 and 7SM or 10SM and CLR, but there were pockets of IFR conditons in the area. I got the plane out and did the run up and departed for KSHL, about five miles west of KEST I could tell off in the distance that it looked like poor visabililty so I checked with KSPW's ASOS when I was about ten miles from there and it was overcast 007 and 1 3/4SM... So back home I head. Called the DPE and told him of this and said that I'll continue watching the weather and give him a call back. Well about 1.5 hours later the region went 10SM and CLR so I filed my flight plane and I headed out. Got to KSHL and greeted the DPE and he checked over all the paper work, logs, etc. and then into the oral. This had me sweating a little. I had a hard time understanding him and I think he had a hard time hearing me (he's been doing this for 46 years) and some of the answers I stated got misunderstood but got through that and off flying we went. We did all the items in the PTS which took right at an hour and head back to the airport to get my temporary certificate and I headed home.

I few things I noticed is that not all instructors teach the same way. My primary instructor had me doing turns around a point at 1/2 mile's and the DPE wanted them at 1/8 mile with 45* bank. I was also taught to add just a bit of power when touching down on a soft field landing and the DPE didn't want this as it may cause a chart wheel. What was they way you were taught?

All in all from start to finish it took about 3 to 3.5 hours to get everything done. I finished this and got my certificate with 46 hours and got to fly for 2.8 hours today. Now I'm debating about doing insturment work... and with the troubles I had getting the checkride done due to weather, it won't be long before I start that.

Good on ya! Welcome to the club made up of a very small, select, percentage of the population...

Don't worry about the conflicting 'do it this way' stuff from different instructors... Do what THAT examiner wants and move on..
When you are PIC you get to decide how it is done...

denny-o

It's definitely a little unnerving when the DPE throws a new method at you on the checkride, but I've been through 3 now and I have definitely learned during each one.

Congratulations. Get out there and fly!!!!!!!!!

(As far as adding power on the soft field? You shouldn't have to if you are managing your descent properly.)

Welcome and congratulations, Pilot!!

I few things I noticed is that not all instructors teach the same way. My primary instructor had me doing turns around a point at 1/2 mile's and the DPE wanted them at 1/8 mile with 45* bank. I was also taught to add just a bit of power when touching down on a soft field landing and the DPE didn't want this as it may cause a chart wheel. What was they way you were taught?

Flying is science and art -- and different pilots emphasize different things depending on past expereince, past instructors, and past exams.

CFIs are pilots, and have the same human trait of variable emphasis.

Every DPE also has his/her ways, and your job as an examinee is to fly within the PTS standards, maintain safety at all times, and learn from each experience.

I have no idea what he's talking about -- "adding power may cause a cart wheel...."?

What?

I have no idea what he's talking about -- "adding power may cause a cart wheel...."?

What?

Yeah, I don't quite get that either. Maybe if you're flying something with a very generous power/weight ratio, like a prop fighter, and you cob it when the aircraft is about to stall and touch down...but not a typical training plane.

I was taught to add a "shot of power" for soft-field landings, but again, it's not necessary, just an option if you have a workable descent rate.

I've found it easier, myself, to control the descent rate with elevator in the final moments than to count on power- tricky to add just the right amount of thrust at just the right moment... whereas one should almost always be looking for minimal descent rate on landing (and setting up for that on short final), regardless of the surface.

congrats!

Where in Iowa do you train? What DPE did you use? I learned in estherville and spent 4 or so years teaching in Ames, and a little over at Green Castle near Iowa City.

Back