Got my high performance!

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
One of the things I've decided is that I want to get my high performance and complex endorsements fairly quickly after getting my PPL. Yesterday, my instructor and I went out in a rented Piper PA-28-236 Dakota for my required training so I could get my high performance sign off. I've had some time in his Comanche and in other constant speed prop aircraft, but this was my first experience (other than flying a twin) in a 200+ hp aircraft.

Since I fly an Archer (PA-28-180) normally, this aircraft flew in a very familiar manner, except for that extra blue knob and an extra 55 hp! What a difference! We flew around to several tiny airports and did some short field takeoffs. It is really amazing how much less runway gets used.

I got my endorsement, and had a fun afternoon of flying. That extra power is addictive! :)

Congrats! I'm not, happy, though. I'm already going to add on my tailwheel endorsement when I finish, and now you are motivating me to just do the HP and Complex, too. I can already hear the giant whoooshing sound of my bank account emptying even more. :(

Again, though...cool. :)

Congrats! I'm not, happy, though. I'm already going to add on my tailwheel endorsement when I finish, and now you are motivating me to just do the HP and Complex, too. I can already hear the giant whoooshing sound of my bank account emptying even more. :(

Good! :) I started on the complex, and will finish that up hopefully in the next week or so. Then I'll want to buy a high performance complex aircraft! :D

Now, to echo another thread, you DID log all the time as PIC as well as dual, didn't you?

This is obviously a thread I missed. Am I now allowed to log all dual received time as PIC as well? Link to thread? :)

Yes, as long as you are rated in the category and class of the airplane, you can log dual received as PIC time as well. I.e., if you are a PPL ASEL, then you can log any dual received in any ASEL as PIC time, regardless of whether you have the necessary endorsements for that aircraft, as those are not ratings. However, you cannot log PIC time in an ASES, AMEL, AMES, Helicopter, Glider, Weightshift, or Balloon aircraft until you pass the checkride and get the rating for those aircraft categories and classes.

Ed's flowchart will give you a visual representation of it, but look at Part 61.51(e):

FAR Part 61.51 (e)
Logging pilot-in-command flight time.
[(1) A sport, recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person--
(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges;]
(ii) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft; or
(iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.
(2) An airline transport pilot may log as pilot-in-command time all of the flight time while acting as pilot-in-command of an operation requiring an airline transport pilot certificate.
(3) An authorized instructor may log as pilot-in-command time all flight time while acting as an authorized instructor.
(4) A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time only when the student pilot--
(i) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft or is performing the duties of pilot of command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember;
(ii) Has a current solo flight endorsement as required under Sec. 61.87 of this part; and
(iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating

Section (1)(i) is the pertinent passage here.

Also note that the "or has privileges" pertains to sport and rec pilots and has NOTHING to do with endorsements. Some people will erroneously claim that HP/COMP/HA are privileges.

And one other caveat, "Rated" means category, class, and TYPE. So I wasn't able to log the turbine time I've gotten, or the DC-3 dual I've gotten, as PIC because I wasn't rated in type.

Also note that the "or has privileges" pertains to sport and rec pilots and has NOTHING to do with endorsements. Some people will erroneously claim that HP/COMP/HA are privileges.

Ed,

I completely agree with you, but I'm trying to find the textual evidence behind this statement to present with a CFI-friend of mine. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Ed,

I completely agree with you, but I'm trying to find the textual evidence behind this statement to present with a CFI-friend of mine. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Profound waste of time. Save your breath. In the history of aviation, nobody has ever convinced anybody else of anything with respect to the FAR's.

Geez, old thread. I got the high performance a while ago. ;)

But do you own the high performance airplane to use it on yet?

Ed,

Thanks!

Dig out an old set of FARs prior to the sport pilot and tell me what they say. Plus it say OR has privileges, not AND has privliges.

Example. In order to board a commercial airliner you have to have a state issued ID, OR a passport. Noth both. Tell your CFI friend he needs a review of the english language on the meaning of "or". :)

Last edited:
Back