Got my first lesson out of the way

NewbiePilotFL

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NewbiePilotFL
Flying out of Manatee Airport in the Champ. Thanks for all of your help!

Wanted to ask a few questions if I may so I can have the right information:

What kind of paperwork is needed for the airplane to fly? My CFI told me yesterday but I seem to have forgotten too busy trying to take everything in.

When flying in the pattern is left hand traffic the default unless specified or is it the other way around?

When you see the windsock with the two L's (Like this:

Untitled.jpg

Which base is it?

Sorry for the basic questions I just wanted to remember for my next lesson today.

What kind of paperwork is needed for the airplane to fly? My CFI told me yesterday but I seem to have forgotten too busy trying to take everything in.
Acronym: AROW- Airworthiness cert. Registration, Operating Limitations, Weight and Balance

When flying in the pattern is left hand traffic the default unless specified or is it the other way around?
Correct. Left is standard unless noted otherwise.
Which base is it?
The 'hands' indicate which direction the pattern flies.
Hand points to the left, than it's a left pattern. Hand points to the right, than it's a right pattern.

Suggestion: download the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Airplane Flying Handbook. Both are free from the FAA website and have the answers you were looking for.

Also, get the FAR/AIM app by ASA on your mobile device. One of the better apps for that purpose and provides free lifetime updates when they are released.

Bw how's ASAs prepware private pilot app? Any good for test prep?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just purchased the book and I'm making progress with it. Just remembering it is another story..lol

Okay so I just finished lesson two....which was tougher for me than the first one. The first lesson my instructor said I was a "Natural" now lesson number two I noticed that I'm having trouble with ground references. I'm trying to keep my altitude between 900-1000 feet, keeping the plane balanced with the rudder, looking for traffic and trying to turn when I need to. I didn't realize how tough this is in the beginning shheeessh!!

Okay so I just finished lesson two....which was tougher for me than the first one. The first lesson my instructor said I was a "Natural" now lesson number two I noticed that I'm having trouble with ground references. I'm trying to keep my altitude between 900-1000 feet, keeping the plane balanced with the rudder, looking for traffic and trying to turn when I need to. I didn't realize how tough this is in the beginning shheeessh!!

I seem to be asking this question quite often these days: Is your instructor using a syllabus? Lesson two is really early in the game for ground reference maneuvers.

Back in the day I had students who took a couple of hours to just get comfortable with being up in the air and in control. Lots of new things to assimilate, and it takes time for them to sink in before moving on.

Bob

Which base is it?

Hand points to the left, than it's a left pattern. Hand points to the right, than it's a right pattern.

At best, that answer is ambiguous.

The L shapes around the segmented circle depict the base (with the short side of the L) and final (long side of L) legs of the traffic pattern. In other words, they specify the traffic pattern direction by showing you the direction of the base-to-final turn, not to be confused with the takeoff-to-crosswind turn.

The photo OP posted depicts, assuming the top of the photo is North, a left traffic pattern for the southwest runway and a right pattern when using the northeast runway.

I seem to be asking this question quite often these days: Is your instructor using a syllabus? Lesson two is really early in the game for ground reference maneuvers.

Back in the day I had students who took a couple of hours to just get comfortable with being up in the air and in control. Lots of new things to assimilate, and it takes time for them to sink in before moving on.

Bob

I'm not sure about the syllabus

I agree, thought I was going to go up for at least 5 hours and just fly around first. Not bashing my CFI, he is a GREAT instructor but I got a lot thrown at me today. He said lesson 3 will be S turns. I asked him to slow it down a little so we will see. Next lesson is on the 25th

I wish there was a way to practice before going up with him.

Jeeeeez, s turns on 3rd lesson? What's next ? Stall and slow flight in 4rth I guess and

The L shapes around the segmented circle depict the base (with the short side of the L) and final (long side of L) legs of the traffic pattern. In other words, they specify the traffic pattern direction by showing you the direction of the base-to-final turn, not to be confused with the takeoff-to-crosswind turn.

The photo OP posted depicts, assuming the top of the photo is North, a left traffic pattern for the southwest runway and a right pattern when using the northeast runway.
It's not ambiguous. Traffic pattern indicators on a segmented circle indicate left or right traffic, which does correlate to the crosswind turn.

It's not ambiguous. Traffic pattern indicators on a segmented circle indicate left or right traffic. It does correlate to the crosswind turn.

Traffic pattern indicators are not ambiguous. Your explanation that started with "Hand points to the left" is ambiguous, and can be interpreted incorrectly.

Traffic pattern indicators are not ambiguous. Your explanation that started with "Hand points to the left" is ambiguous, and can be interpreted incorrectly.
No, you like to over analyze and pick apart everything. How can that be misconstrued? The hand points to the left so you fly a left pattern, likewise if it's a right handed pattern.

No, you like to over analyze and pick apart everything. How can that be misconstrued? The hand points to the left so you fly a left pattern, likewise if it's a right handed pattern.

It can be misconstrued if you think the long arm of the L is the departure/upwind leg and the short arm of the L is the crosswind leg. Then you'll be looking at the wrong L for the runway in question. I've seen people misunderstand it.

Last edited:

I'm using their online prepware course for my ground school. I like it, but I have no real frame of reference. The format works well for me, with a module to read, practice test questions, video, etc. per section.

It can be misconstrued if you think the long arm of the L is the departure/upwind leg and the short arm of the L is the crosswind leg. Then you'll be looking at the wrong L for the runway in question. I've seen people misunderstand it.
If it's interpreted that way, I could see that being true. Guess I've just always thought most folks read it from the segmented circle out, instead of the other way around. Apologies.

Hello,

Just an update, I got my student pilot cert in an e-mail. I didn't realize how a piece of paper from the United States Department of Transportation can deliver such good news. I'm excited about my new endeavor. Thanks guys!

I use the ASA apps quite a bit. I like that they have the full test bank in the app itself so you don't need a connection. The only thing that's a PITA for the PPL stuff are the sectional questions where you have to do some plotting and measuring since obviously the sectional on your phone is not going to be to scale. Some of the performance charts can be tricky to read but that not the app's fault. I've used them for my PPL, IR, and now my CPL.

When I see posts of this nature I kind of chuckle inside. So many new pilots (first few lessons) get so bent out of shape about what they're doing / no doing and are mentally strained at maximizing each and every lesson. I get it to a certain degree but lets remind ourselves that this is an enjoyable jog or marathon rather than a sprint. Enjoy every lesson and you'll learn as much from your mistakes as your good stuff. If you solo at hour 12 or at hour 25 no one will care, even yourself over time. The best way to learn is to just go do it. Again, enjoy it. That's why you're doing it to begin with. There is no trophy for expediting this process.

Good luck!

What is the "hand"?

Switch instructors if you feel like slowing down.

My first instructor threw a little too much at me all at once; after 2 lessons, I asked for a more laid back guy. I got the coolest most easy going kid in the flight school. Never made me feel stupid or rushed. He went on to the airlines when I was almost done; the instructor I finished with was heading to the navy to become a naval aviator, and he was good too (calm demeanor, communicated well).

There are many good instructors, some bad, flown with 7 total, but not all good instructors may be a good fit for all students. Plus, I think flying with a different instructor occasionally is helpful - you get some different tidbits that may be helpful, and you may get a better appreciation for your regular instructor (or realize how bad he or she is, lol!).

Have fun!

And just to add another wrinkle, when you enter Left Traffic on the 45, your first turn to the downwind leg will be a right turn!! My observant passenger pointed this out on the last flight. :) Of course, all turns in the pattern will be either right or left.

When I see posts of this nature I kind of chuckle inside. So many new pilots (first few lessons) get so bent out of shape about what they're doing / no doing and are mentally strained at maximizing each and every lesson. I get it to a certain degree but lets remind ourselves that this is an enjoyable jog or marathon rather than a sprint. Enjoy every lesson and you'll learn as much from your mistakes as your good stuff. If you solo at hour 12 or at hour 25 no one will care, even yourself over time. The best way to learn is to just go do it. Again, enjoy it. That's why you're doing it to begin with. There is no trophy for expediting this process.

Good luck!

IMO I think it was nerves that made me get "bent out of shape" during the first few lessons. Think of it this way: Renting an airplane and hiring a CFI is not cheap these days, not only that you are overcoming your fear of flying and all of the news reports that you heard, How to control and "feel" the airplane, staying away from danger and other airplanes, Also you are flying an expensive airplane that you don't want to break all while learning the lessons. It's a lot to take on at first but like anything you will get use to it.

I would go through the lessons as best as you can....That is all anybody can ask of you! If he/she starts to get mad then switch instructors. You've done your best!

If it's interpreted that way, I could see that being true. Guess I've just always thought most folks read it from the segmented circle out, instead of the other way around. Apologies.

Haha I was wondering... I read it the other way and thought you were wrong. Interesting how people were taught different things. I read these from the outside in.

IMO I think it was nerves that made me get "bent out of shape" during the first few lessons. Think of it this way: Renting an airplane and hiring a CFI is not cheap these days, not only that you are overcoming your fear of flying and all of the news reports that you heard, How to control and "feel" the airplane, staying away from danger and other airplanes, Also you are flying an expensive airplane that you don't want to break all while learning the lessons. It's a lot to take on at first but like anything you will get use to it.

I would go through the lessons as best as you can....That is all anybody can ask of you! If he/she starts to get mad then switch instructors. You've done your best!

I agree, there are legitimate reasons for anxiety. My advice was simply to remind the newbies that it's going to take some time and there's not a whole lot of preparation outside of just "doing it" that will do a lot.

How often do we see posts saying, "HELP with my landings!!!", "I've got 6 hours in my log book and have performed 20 landings and I just feel like I'm NEVER going to get this! Advice needed!!!"

I sure wouldn't teach someone to ride a bike using books / diagrams / online discussion / etc. An airplane is no different.

My CFI told me early on that he wasn't there to teach me to fly. He was there to keep me out of trouble while I taught myself. Now don't think that meant he wasn't "instructing", but his point was well understood and made me a much better pilot. He was very very good at teaching stick and rudder. I think the happiest I ever made him during a lesson was the first time I bounced (not too bad) the Tomahawk on a landing. He was pretty excited. His words were "**** like that is going to happen. I needed to know you could handle the recovery. I think you're about ready to solo now."

I'm NOT a CFI (So this is worth what you paid for it) but if I was I would get the student comfortable FIRST before doing maneuvers. If you are not a first timer, the student needs to be relaxed first.

Back