Got my "A" Badge Today...

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
Well I soloed the 2-33 today:D. Too bad the weather wasn't very good as there was no lift to be had. The wind was blowing pretty hard out of the south, so going upwind was a bit tough. We ended up doing 4 landings dual, and then John started pulling out all the stuff from the back seat, and sent me off on my own.

Got towed up to 2000' flew around a bit to get back to pattern altitude (didn't even bother to turn the vario on). Flew a nice pattern, and set it down with a giant grin on my face.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_0379_1.JPG
    IMG_0379_1.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 30
pete - awesome awesome awesome awesome!!

I did 3 flights in the 2-22 this morning. winds aloft above 1000 aGL mustve been in the 45 mph range as we managed to get it to back up. that was cool!

i had no idea you were continuing lessons in the gliders. you gotta post about that kind of stuff! :D

Yeah I've been hanging aroud HXF the last few weekends. After that 90+ minute flight in the 2-33 I was hooked. Besides it is just fun to go flying just for the heck of it.

Also one of these weekends I need to talk to the guy on the field with 3 J-3s for rent. I think he has a 65, and 2 85 horse cubs he instructs in.

Pete

Scott - The badge system has long been used in soaring to measure a pilots achievemnt. FAI issues the silver, gold, and diamond badges. Silver is for a 5 hr duration, 50 km XC, and 1km altitude gain. These do not have to be on the same flight. The requirements go up from there, progressively harder. The SSA administers the ABC and Bronze Badge system in the US. This provides a set of stepping stones to prepare glider pilots for cross country flying. A Badge means the glider pilot has solo'd. B Badge is for basic soaring proficiency, a 30 minute solo flight. C involves some cross country prep and a 60 minute solo flight (I think). Bronze is 2 2 hr flights and a written test to prove you are ready for cross country flying. info on all badges is here:

http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=5361749529

of course doing the badge thing is not necessary, but it is a fun way to stay motivated and keep goals in the sport.

Back