Got my 3rd class medical today!

pd8

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
fly_nalda
According to the recommendation here at POA, I got my 3rd class medical cleared today before committing any flying activities. Thanks for the advices!

Just wanted to share my story. I am 45 and have been taking a medication to treat my chronic liver issue. So I wanted to see the AME only for consultation to learn what’s needed. I submitted my MedX application and got the form 8500-8 but the receptionist told me that I needed to surrender the confirmation number to see the AME. They don’t do the consultation.

They claimed that my MedX already became live when I get the confirmation number, so I decided to see the doctor and go live. But I don’t know which is true.

I passed all other routine check ups including vision, hearing, BP, urine, etc. I brought my recent blood test and the ultrasound results but the AME said he needed a letter from my liver doctor. I didn’t bring that one but I was able to log on to the patient portal where my doctor’s note from my last visit was recorded. I asked him to use the computer so I can print it out.

He let me use the computer at the nurse station and he called the FAA right away to discuss my case. I waited in the room for a while (felt like hours but it was actually 15 min or so). The AME came in with a good news saying the FAA let him to grant me the 3rd class.

My AME was pretty supportive and straightforward. Although my health condition was good, it could have been more complicated and lengthy process.

Last edited:
Congratulations.

The receptionist was incorrect, your medical is not live until the doctor gets the confirmation number and takes it live.

If a doctor does not do a consultation, see a different AME.

Why would an AME refuse to do a consultation? They get paid either way.. I’ve read about this before. “We don’t do consultations”. Doesn’t make sense to me.

I went about it a different way. I didn’t go in and ask for a consultation. I sent the receptionist a PDF copy of all of my paperwork and asked that after they review and agree I have all of my paperwork in order and nothing is missing I would like to schedule an appointment. They reviewed, made one some highlight on a field that was left blank. Sent form back to doc, they returned and I resubmitted and got scheduled for exam. A consultation without a visit so there should be no surprises on renewal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back