Got me a GoPro...Excited indeed.

sacbluesman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sacbluesman
So I picked up a GoPro and super jazzed to try it out. I been trying to figure out a way to mount it outside without using that suction cup. That just makes me a tad nervous. I decided to fab up a mount that would attach to the strut. I still need to add some foam or rubber to isolate the mounting surface.

Anyways...here is a couple photos of the mount. I got the idea from the bobweights I use when balancing crankshafts. After starting the mount I did a bit more research and came across a company that makes a similar mount (aerovideo.net) they look nice but a bit too pricey for me.

bobweight...

bobweight.jpg

This is the mount...

DSCN0577-1.jpg

Here is the mount with the GoPro...

DSCN0579.jpg

Kirby Chambliss uses the adhesive sticky mounts. Since they hold on his plane yours should be fine.

Looks great.

What materials did you use ? Wood ?

I am contemplating the eventual purchase of an Aerovideo mount...it is indeed a pricey gadget...

http://www.aerovideo.net/

Looks like Starboard or a similar plastic.

If anyone wants to 'permanently' attach the base of a mount, the 2 sided tapes that 3M has are pretty damned tenacious, the paint will let go from the metal before the tape. When you look at boats/ships with those big old windows that are thick as all get out for taking on the seas, those are put in with 2 sided tape... I've become pretty impressed with the stuff. Best part is when you want it to come off, there is a release agent that makes it simple with no damages required.

Looks like Starboard or a similar plastic.

If anyone wants to 'permanently' attach the base of a mount, the 2 sided tapes that 3M has are pretty damned tenacious, the paint will let go from the metal before the tape. When you look at boats/ships with those big old windows that are thick as all get out for taking on the seas, those are put in with 2 sided tape... I've become pretty impressed with the stuff. Best part is when you want it to come off, there is a release agent that makes it simple with no damages required.

Well, I have the original GoPro adhesive mounts, I just don't feel comfortable with "stickers" and would rather get a more permanent mount ( with screws ).

I used 1" thick cutting board material. I'm not sure of the exact composition but I think its polyethylene. TAP Plastics has it in stock and they are local for me. Overall, I don't think I have more than $30ish invested for materials plus my time...which is pretty cheap.

Well, I have the original GoPro adhesive mounts, I just don't feel comfortable with "stickers" and would rather get a more permanent mount ( with screws ).

I'll tell you what, at this point, especially when attaching to thin aluminum, I would much prefer an adhesive that spreads the stress across the entire surface than mechanical fasteners that concentrate all the stress on the fastener area. If you through bolt with fender washers and nuts rather than using sheet metal or PK screws, the point is moot, but I wouldn't be hesitant to use the adhesive mount provided. If you have reservations, run a bead of 3M 5200 caulk around the seam, it'll not only prevent the airstream from getting to the joint to open it, it is also a tenacious polyurethane adhesive in its own right.

Many cars these days are 'taped together' with regards to the body panels, first time I noticed it was on a Hyundai Goetz.

Since I don't have the luxury of owning my own aircraft I have to use a non permanent mount. I've heard the factory GoPro sticky stuff works good. Like Henning said, using automotive seam sealer to glue on a mount is definitely a permanent way of doing things...that stuff works awesome. My recommendation is if your middle name is Bubba or have no definable neck, adhesive would probably work better instead of nuts and bolts!

Go watch redbull/chambliss videos his plane is covered w gopros held on with the stock adhesive mounts. Works for him it will work for us. Mechanical mounts can create problems without being a better solution.

Go watch redbull/chambliss videos his plane is covered w gopros held on with the stock adhesive mounts. Works for him it will work for us. Mechanical mounts can create problems without being a better solution.

I agree, but it's generally not a relevant option if you don't own an aircraft...

I would be super POed if people started gluing, suction cupping or clamping homemade mounts to my airplane. Better check with whoever you rent from and make sure they're happy with homemade gopro mounts cantilevered out into the wind on their airplanes. It would be an immediate "no" from me.

Interestingly enough, the local CAP wanted a temp strap on mount for an external rear view mirror on the wing strut for glider towing. The question raised, "you have a 337 for that?"

They still don't have a mirror mount.

So I picked up a GoPro and super jazzed to try it out. I been trying to figure out a way to mount it outside without using that suction cup. That just makes me a tad nervous. I decided to fab up a mount that would attach to the strut. I still need to add some foam or rubber to isolate the mounting surface.

Anyways...here is a couple photos of the mount. I got the idea from the bobweights I use when balancing crankshafts. After starting the mount I did a bit more research and came across a company that makes a similar mount (aerovideo.net) they look nice but a bit too pricey for me.

bobweight...

bobweight.jpg

This is the mount...

DSCN0577-1.jpg

Here is the mount with the GoPro...

DSCN0579.jpg

Cool - !

What? No one took over your thread complaining that cameras weren't a necessary pilot accessory!?

(Joking about the Brightline bag thread.)

I looked at those cameras at OSH, and thought they were cool -- but pricey.

I didn't look beyond that at the time, but now I'm wondering: Since the video it takes appears to be quite awesome, can you use the camera as a pocket camera? What kind of resolution does it get for photos? Does it have integral flash for indoor still photography?

If it was a superior option to a phone-camera, for example, it would be easier to justify the cost.

"HD" resolution is significantly lower than even a cheap pocket snapshot digital camera.

I looked at those cameras at OSH, and thought they were cool -- but pricey.

I didn't look beyond that at the time, but now I'm wondering: Since the video it takes appears to be quite awesome, can you use the camera as a pocket camera? What kind of resolution does it get for photos? Does it have integral flash for indoor still photography?

If it was a superior option to a phone-camera, for example, it would be easier to justify the cost.

Oliver's videos is what finally made me pull the trigger on buying one. All I need to do is get my settings to mirror his.

Kim - We need to get on that bay tour ASAP!

That doesn't sound hopeful...

The GoPro2 sensor is 11 MP ( takes pretty nice pictures ).

In video mode you can use either HD (720p) or full HD (1080p) reolutions....with stunning results.

You can purchase lots of accessories, including the LCD backpack ( a small LCD viewfinder ).

I love it.

The GoPro2 sensor is 11 MP ( takes pretty nice pictures ).

In video mode you can use either HD (720p) or full HD (1080p) reolutions....with stunning results.

You can purchase lots of accessories, including the LCD backpack ( a small LCD viewfinder ).

I love it.

Built in flash?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I would be super POed if people started gluing, suction cupping or clamping homemade mounts to my airplane. Better check with whoever you rent from and make sure they're happy with homemade gopro mounts cantilevered out into the wind on their airplanes. It would be an immediate "no" from me.

No, you can't think like that if it's a leaseback. It's revenue property that you rent to the public to do the work planes do. Suction cups are a legit method of this. Besides I've had pretty good results with suction cup mounts. It would be my preferred. Just suck it on in the radius of the strongest structural corner of the panel you want th attach to rather than the center. The stronger, preferably forward in the panel, the corner the best all around.

No, you can't think like that if it's a leaseback. It's revenue property that you rent to the public to do the work planes do. Suction cups are a legit method of this. Besides I've had pretty good results with suction cup mounts. It would be my preferred. Just suck it on in the radius of the strongest structural corner of the panel you want th attach to rather than the center. The stronger, preferably forward in the panel, the corner the best all around.

When the revenue property in question is what you use to feed yourself, I'd be even more POed. When the thing pops loose because you stuck it on a piece of paint that had some corrosion under it and takes out the elevator... the owner isn't going to be happy. Sure he might get to deal with lawyers and insurance companies and really figure out how legal it is to stick one on the plane (I mean who wouldn't want to do that?) and recoup the asset value of the plane, but it's not working for him after it's been used to auger a burning hole in the ground. I talked to my buddy who rents 3 planes and uses them in his flight school how happy he'd be... he wasn't impressed and said if he caught anyone doing it, it would be their last rental. He's a CFII/A&P IA and has owned his planes more than 3 decades, he builds all his own engines and puts a lot of sweat and TLC in them. Sure Henning, you may have studied all the engineering data and developed a method for reliably suction cupping a camera to an airframe, but are you sure that every 60hour PPL wonder pilot has? Is it really worth the risk to your livelihood so that a renter can catch some exhilirating in flight footage of a Cessna 172 in straight and level over the midwest like the other 9,000 videos on YouTube of 172s in straight and level flight over the midwest? At the very least I'd show my mount and setup to the place renting me the plane and get their permission. If it were me or my CFI, you'd get "no" for an answer. :D Then again, a video footage of me flying put on the internet for anyone to see and critique isn't on my long list of things to create.

Last edited:
Hang on, the only one who is out anything is the renter who is out his GoPro. If you had paint that sucked off corrosion you have a maintenance issue to address.

Hang on, the only one who is out anything is the renter who is out his GoPro. If you had paint that sucked off corrosion you have a maintenance issue to address.

At the end of the day what really matters is what who owns the plane thinks, I loan my plane to people, it's just a toy/tool that can be replaced, I don't put much emotional stock in it, but I wouldn't appreciate someone flying it and unnecessarily putting it in danger, either real danger or just what I perceive as danger especially with video footage of it. My CFII/friend/A&P IA/FBO owner wouldn't appreciate it either. We both may be ignorant of how great those suction cup mounts work, but it's not worth the time investment for him nor i to figure it out. All risk, no reward, why bother?

At the end of the day what really matters is what who owns the plane thinks, I loan my plane to people, it's just a toy/tool that can be replaced, I don't put much emotional stock in it, but I wouldn't appreciate someone flying it and unnecessarily putting it in danger, either real danger or just what I perceive as danger especially with video footage of it. My CFII/friend/A&P IA/FBO owner wouldn't appreciate it either. We both may be ignorant of how great those suction cup mounts work, but it's not worth the time investment for him nor i to figure it out. All risk, no reward, why bother?

No worries, you can put on whatever restrictions you like, people won't rent from you and you leaseback costs you money. You cannot have an emotional stake in a leaseback plane and not lose money. Just keep it in a hangar to yourself, you'll be much better off.

There is no real danger from a good redundant suction mount. They work quite well. In fact, if I had a plane on a rental line, I would install good solid permanent mounting bases for them to attach to to encourage rental. It's a business of getting people to spend a lot of money for very little return. Making it easy to get a video is what is known as 'value added' that is what business often lacks and is the difference between success and failure. Heck, I'd probably install a 5 view system and let them bring or buy a chip.

Last edited:
FWIW,
I'd suggest anyone getting a GoPro... GET THE HERO2. I've seen the older GoPro on sale, including Costco. The 2 is better in many ways, including the ability to use certain accessories and Apps.

Last edited:
Guys...we are talking about a tiny lightweight camera...I'm sorry but I'm not going to entertain the rants or emotions of an A&P or owner. If you are in the business of renting than there are assumed risks. If you don't like what other people may do with your plane, then don't loan/rent it out.

Will my mount or the aerovideo mount cause structural damage to the strut? :no: If the strut can support my 170lbs of meat and skin to check fuel, I feel pretty confident that it can hold my camera too. If you can't attach a suction cup without denting the hell out of the sheetmetal, you shouldn't be around a plane anyways. Can any GoPro mount scratch the paint? Sure its possible, but my belt buckle can do just as much carnage when I check the oil. Using this kind of logic makes me assume that dumping it on the runway from a high flare would be considered less damaging to the airframe than camera mounting. Point is care and a few tidbits of common sense should be used and all would be well. :D

I'm not sure what ya'll are puddle jumping around in but the 30+ year old planes I'm flying aren't much sexier than Steve Buscemi. :rofl:

Guys...we are talking about a tiny lightweight camera...I'm sorry but I'm not going to entertain the rants or emotions of an A&P or owner. If you are in the business of renting than there are assumed risks. If you don't like what other people may do with your plane, then don't loan/rent it out.

Will my mount or the aerovideo mount cause structural damage to the strut? :no: If the strut can support my 170lbs of meat and skin to check fuel, I feel pretty confident that it can hold my camera too. If you can't attach a suction cup without denting the hell out of the sheetmetal, you shouldn't be around a plane anyways. Can any GoPro mount scratch the paint? Sure its possible, but my belt buckle can do just as much carnage when I check the oil. Using this kind of logic makes me assume that dumping it on the runway from a high flare would be considered less damaging to the airframe than camera mounting. Point is care and a few tidbits of common sense should be used and all would be well. :D

I'm not sure what ya'll are puddle jumping around in but the 30+ year old planes I'm flying aren't much sexier than Steve Buscemi. :rofl:

Why don't you ask who you're renting from if they mind? Then call the FAA and ask them how legal it is. Probably because you're not going to like the answer to either question.

If it departs the plane and strikes your elevator, it can damage the plane and you.

You wouldn't rent from my FBO if you were caught doing it.

Care and common sense might make it safe. Unfortunately most people have neither. There's a list of pilots on the "DO NOT RENT" list at the FBO, the last one that tried to rent there, got told no, went down to the next FBO... would you like to see the NTSB on it? Some clueless pilot's will, stick a dirty suction cup to a dirty wing and off it goes. Probably won't hit the elevator but introducing foreign objects into the air stream isn't something I recommend.

Last edited:
My biggest personal worry about the gopro isn't that it would fall off in straight and level cruise (really, how likely is it to hit someone?) but that it would fall off after a hard landing. Now I have a camera with footage that can identify me sitting on an active runway. I better park the plane quick and run out there before it gets sucked into the next departing jet.... It would be a real mess at an airport with any traffic at all. That and I figured out there was a good chance the FAA would not be thrilled about any sort of external mount without any paperwork...

Back