Got checked out in the club plane this morning...

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
As I mentioned in another thread, I joined the local flying club recently and was able to do a 7:00am checkride with a CFI club member this morning. The '66 Cherokee 180 with Hershey Bar wings sinks a little faster than the Archer II that I earned my PP in and has different throttle/mixture/carb heat controls, but should only take me a flight or two to get used to. Biggest thing for me right now is the outside of the speedo is in MPH and the Knots are smaller numbers on the inside. I caught myself looking at the outside numbers at first (the Archer had knots on the outside), so I just need to develop a new habit. Did steep turns, stalls (no stall horn on this one, just a dash light), and slow flight. Three crosswind landings later and we wrapped it up. Not sure if I HAD to, but I asked him to sign my logbook just so there will never be any question (insurance or otherwise) that I was checked out in the club plane.

Excited to start my next "flying chapter" in a plane where I have some partial club/ownership responsibilities, and where the availability is almost never an issue. Now I'm just watching the bad weather roll in as I wait for my own set of keys to the hangar and plane. :(

Congrats Hobo.

Can you share the details of joining the club for example. Buy in cost and Hourly rates? Someday I would like to join a club or partnership.

PM me if you don't want to share publicly.

Thanks.

it doesnt matter if its mph or knots. The ASI has a color code and the operational speeds are there. For all we care the units can be in obamas/lightyears and you would still be flying the airplane at the correct speeds.

it doesnt matter if its mph or knots. The ASI has a color code and the operational speeds are there. For all we care the units can be in obamas/lightyears and you would still be flying the airplane at the correct speeds.

I hear ya, and I agree. I was specifically looking for my 75kt vy on departure and my speeds on approach and short final. I guess since I'm still a newbie I'm used to nailing specific speeds and adding the gust correction just like my CFI was preaching from the right seat. LOL

I'm sure as my experience goes up I'll gain comfort levels and a better "feel" of what the aircraft needs.

Congrats Hobo.

Can you share the details of joining the club for example. Buy in cost and Hourly rates? Someday I would like to join a club or partnership.

PM me if you don't want to share publicly.

Thanks.

I don't mind putting some specifics out publicly, but if you have specific questions feel free to drop me a PM.

Club has been in existence for over 20 years, with some of the founding members still in place and flying. Club limits membership to 9 shares of the plane. 1966 Cherokee 180, repainted within the last ten years, less than 500 hours SMOH (remanufactured engine), 25K recently invested in a new radio stack that includes a Garmin 650 (details are in another thread). Club dues are $70/month, which pays for hangar, electricity, annuals, etc. $75/hr wet (tach time), and $12/hr of this goes into the engine reserve fund. Prices are negotiated between selling members and the potential buyer. I bought my share for 6K from a long-time member who no longer flies and tend to think that I found a good deal. Other club member's agree with me since they know what they've put into their ownership shares (and another selling member was asking considerably more). Plane is scheduled first-come, first-served and we use a yahoo group calendar to do so. Every member I spoke with stated that they have never had a scheduling issue that couldn't be resolved between the members themselves (standing vacation trips, holidays, etc.).

Hope that helps...

Sounds likes a good deal ,you should enjoy the experience,good luck.

So If a member wants out are they responsible for selling their 6K share or is the board of directors responsible?

It does sound like a nice deal.

MPH vs KTs
BTDT in a 182
might be surprised how much better the plane lands in mph when you automatically peg the indicator on 60 and find you are doing mph instead of kts (assuming the stall warning isn't screaming at you)
:)

MPH vs KTs
BTDT in a 182
might be surprised how much better the plane lands in mph when you automatically peg the indicator on 60 and find you are doing mph instead of kts (assuming the stall warning isn't screaming at you)
:)

No stall horn/buzzer on this plane. The stall light just blinks like it's yelling "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!"

Congrats Wade. Clubs are definitely a good way to go for a lot of people. My club has similar rates except that we have 16 members. Fortunately for me, only about 5 or 6 actively fly the plane. The rest tend to get their required 3 hours in each 6 months and that's about it.

We are $70/hr tach (wet) and $40/month for fees. We have around 1100 hrs left on the engine and the plane is nicely equipped including a 530W. I couldn't fly if I had to rent from the school anymore. Just too much money.

Congrats Wade. Clubs are definitely a good way to go for a lot of people. My club has similar rates except that we have 16 members. Fortunately for me, only about 5 or 6 actively fly the plane. The rest tend to get their required 3 hours in each 6 months and that's about it.

We are $70/hr tach (wet) and $40/month for fees. We have around 1100 hrs left on the engine and the plane is nicely equipped including a 530W. I couldn't fly if I had to rent from the school anymore. Just too much money.

In the same boat as you Scott, and it sounds like yours is even a better deal than mine - especially since both of our clubs only have about 5 active flyers. Then again, you have to put up with the "black cloud" controller down there in that class Delta on occassion. LOL!

Fly safe!

Back