Got checked out in a DA-40 today!

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
What a fun airplane to fly!

*The view is unbelievable. And for a Cessna guy, I really liked seeing the tops of my wings. :)

*The constant speed prop was a non-issue (having never flown one before, I was expecting a little more complexity.)

*The faster approach speed didn't pose a problem, but it seemed a little tougher to slow down than I expected. The big flaps help a lot.

*Consequently, landings were a piece of cake.

*I learned in a Symphony with a stick, so the stick on the DA-40 was very comfortable and more responsive than a yoke.

But there are a few downsides:

*The knee room was tight, but acceptable. (But I sat in an earlier model at this flight school, I could not get my legs below the bottom of the panel.)

*The rudder pedals are not really designed well. On a T&G, I couldn't get enough right rudder to offset the P-factor because my right foot would get hung up on a cable shroud immediately next to the pedal. That seems like a dangerous situation, especially for someone with size 13's. I would be a little concerned if we had a strong crosswind.

*Headroom was a little tighter than I hoped, but I could live with it.

*It can get hot. I would hate to fly that down south in the summer.

Overall, it was a good experience. I will give it a few more flights before deciding on whether to continue to fly it. I get checked out in a G1000 Skyhawk next weekend. Should be fun!

I just got checked out in it last week myself. It's a nice honest plane and probably the best IFR machine I've flown so far.

I have exactly the same issues with the pedals - I wear deck shoes now when flying the Star instead of sneakers as they are skinnier. The speed reminds me a lot of a Mooney - need to slow down early as that wing is very efficient.

It's the closest airplane to the "magic carpet" experience I've flown so far.

I have exactly the same issues with the pedals - I wear deck shoes now when flying the Star instead of sneakers as they are skinnier. The speed reminds me a lot of a Mooney - need to slow down early as that wing is very efficient.

Good idea, Tim. That's the only solution that seems like it could work.

Have you flown a Bonanza, Tim?

Honest, fast, solid -- I thought it was all talk until I flew one.

So far I've flown both ends of the line -- a 1947 Model 35 (the very first model) and an 1980 A36.

The A36 has VGs -- it stalls as docile as a 172, yet can cruise 150 KIAS at 12 GPH.

Short field approach speed is 70 KIAS. I'm down and stopped 1/2 way down a 2500' runway. I can land the V tail in a little more than half that distance with a 5 knot headwind.

The V tail has lighter wing loading, so is less comfy IFR Platform than the A36 (which also has standby Vac, static air, etc, etc).

Try it -- you'll like it!:cheerswine:

Yes, the Bonanza is one of my favorite instrument platforms. But the view out of the Diamond is incomparable. You really feel like you're floating above the ground because the view is so good.

I'll be flying a DA42 sometime this summer and will see how that compares.

Yes, the Bonanza is one of my favorite instrument platforms. But the view out of the Diamond is incomparable. You really feel like you're floating above the ground because the view is so good.

I'll be flying a DA42 sometime this summer and will see how that compares.
The view should be even better, because it has the same basic cabin, but you don't have that spinning disk in front of you! (I suppose they might have repositioned the wings due to the change in weight distribution of the engine, which could affect the view...)

What a fun airplane to fly!

Stan,

I agree... Now the question is, where did you find a DA40? Did you go down to UGN or is there something closer?

The only thing I really don't like on the DA40's is the stall warning - It goes of WAY too soon, like 10 knots above the actual stall, so you either hear it long before touchdown or you float like crazy. What approach speed were you using? Normal approach speed is 71 knots for gross, or 63 knots for 230 pounds under gross. Too many CFI's teaching too-fast approaches these days, and the glass birds just don't slow down like the spam cans do.

The view should be even better, because it has the same basic cabin, but you don't have that spinning disk in front of you! (I suppose they might have repositioned the wings due to the change in weight distribution of the engine, which could affect the view...)

I can attest that the view from the DA42 is most excellent...

Stan,

I agree... Now the question is, where did you find a DA40? Did you go down to UGN or is there something closer?

The only thing I really don't like on the DA40's is the stall warning - It goes of WAY too soon, like 10 knots above the actual stall, so you either hear it long before touchdown or you float like crazy. What approach speed were you using? Normal approach speed is 71 knots for gross, or 63 knots for 230 pounds under gross. Too many CFI's teaching too-fast approaches these days, and the glass birds just don't slow down like the spam cans do.

Kent -

We've had some changeups here at Waukesha. Spring City Aviation recently purchased Lake Country Aviation, which actually gives us a good selection of Cessnas, Pipers, a Travel Air, and even a Citabria.

In addition, I recently saw two DA40s on the ramp, and learned that Stein Aviation http://www.stein.aero/ is renting and giving instruction in a 2001 and 2003 DA40. (My knees didn't fit in the 2001 model.)

With a 5 kt headwind, we used 70 kts as a target approach speed. Being used to pulling power to idle on final in a Skyhawk, I felt like it was mostly a power-on landing until over the threshhold or numbers. I think the instructor had me using 10"MP on final. He cautioned me about pulling power to idle too early, and said that with full flaps it would sink below the glidescope at idle. I think he was correct. A couple of times I got around 65 kts and I did get a somewhat sinking feeling. I felt no ballooning or unreasonable float in ground effect; it settled down pretty smoothly. I agree with you on the stall warning horn, though it wasn't unsettling, just annoying.

We've had some changeups here at Waukesha. Spring City Aviation recently purchased Lake Country Aviation, which actually gives us a good selection of Cessnas, Pipers, a Travel Air, and even a Citabria.

Hmm... When I lived in the area, Waukesha Flying Services was the FBO and had rental, instruction and charter. Spring City was there too (and has been for a long time). I understand John Lotzer sold WFS a few years ago. Was Lake Country the new FBO, or just a flight school?

In addition, I recently saw two DA40s on the ramp, and learned that Stein Aviation http://www.stein.aero/ is renting and giving instruction in a 2001 and 2003 DA40. (My knees didn't fit in the 2001 model.)

Interesting - I can't find anything about that on their web site. With everyone else focusing on glass, it's also interesting that they've got the steam-gauge DA40's, though I'm guessing they probably have the dual-Garmin/HSI/autopilot setup? Or did they buy the old ERAU CAPT bare-bones ones? How much per hour?

With a 5 kt headwind, we used 70 kts as a target approach speed. Being used to pulling power to idle on final in a Skyhawk, I felt like it was mostly a power-on landing until over the threshhold or numbers. I think the instructor had me using 10"MP on final. He cautioned me about pulling power to idle too early, and said that with full flaps it would sink below the glidescope at idle. I think he was correct. A couple of times I got around 65 kts and I did get a somewhat sinking feeling. I felt no ballooning or unreasonable float in ground effect; it settled down pretty smoothly. I agree with you on the stall warning horn, though it wasn't unsettling, just annoying.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... When I lived in the area, Waukesha Flying Services was the FBO and had rental, instruction and charter. Spring City was there too (and has been for a long time). I understand John Lotzer sold WFS a few years ago. Was Lake Country the new FBO, or just a flight school?

Interesting - I can't find anything about that on their web site. With everyone else focusing on glass, it's also interesting that they've got the steam-gauge DA40's, though I'm guessing they probably have the dual-Garmin/HSI/autopilot setup? Or did they buy the old ERAU CAPT bare-bones ones? How much per hour?

I came to KUES almost 2 years ago, so some of this is before my time. I don't know about WFS, but Lake Country was the FBO and flight school, and then sold off the FBO to Atlantic Aviation in '06 I think. Lake Country retained the flight school and rental operations, and then sold to Spring City last month.

Stein seems more like a charter operation; I don't know if the school is an afterthought, or just new. They do have a scheduling program on FlightSchedulePro.com (as does Spring City and as did Lake Country), for whatever that's worth. The hangar includes a King Air, a Lear, a Citation, and a Beach Jet, though I don't know if any of these belong to Stein.

The 2003 Diamond has dual Garmin 430s, but only a DG (no HSI), and no autopilot. The 2001 Diamond has a Garmin 530, and an autopilot. I don't recall whether it has an HSI or not. The 2003 rents for $125 wet; I don't know about the 2001.

Back