got a ride

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
well ive finally gotten a sure deal for transportation. Matt Sawhill will be chauffeuring me in his beautiful Cessna 140. Its the same one that I flew w/him to Memphis in earlier this year. We will leave the greater Cedar Rapids area by 3 PM and hope to be at Gastons Friday evening, probably by 8.

Attachments

• DSC01043.JPG
    DSC01043.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 33
well ive finally gotten a sure deal for transportation. Matt Sawhill will be chauffeuring me in his beautiful Cessna 140. Its the same one that I flew w/him to Memphis in earlier this year. We will leave the greater Cedar Rapids area by 3 PM and hope to be at Gastons Friday evening, probably by 8.
Pretty airplane!

Mine is broken right now. :( A mechanic is coming to work on it tomorrow. Ran rough today. We discovered LOTS of black stuff on the exhaust and all down the right side of the belly. :dunno:

I've seen that 140 in person. It really is a pretty plane. Maybe I can talk him into a ride. :D

Diana, get her fixed! We need both of you at Gaston's. :yes:

running too rich, fouled plugs??
Mags checked fine this morning before taking off for Gaston's, but then it seemed to take longer to lift off and climb out at the farm. We had problems with the mag check at Gaston's when we tried to leave. We shut it down and then started it up an hour later and it seemed to run smoother. But, when we went to put it away tonight, we discovered a LOT of black stuff.

I've seen that 140 in person. It really is a pretty plane. Maybe I can talk him into a ride. :D

Shouldn't be too hard. He let me fly it last summer. It's a very nice 140.

Cessna 140.....You better hope those 50 knot headwinds die off....

by friday we'll be on the other side of the low. tailwinds for us :p

61kt headwinds for me tomorrow afternoon. Estimated time enroute:
SEVEN HOURS FORTY FIVE MINUTES

61kt headwinds for me tomorrow afternoon. Estimated time enroute:
SEVEN HOURS FORTY FIVE MINUTES

Ouch....for us (leaving tomorrow morning and not counting fuel stops):

975nm in 5:13

Great tailwinds!!

For example, the leg between Las Vegas, NM and Borger, TX:

Winds are 240@52. Its 183nm. We should do it in 57 minutes. Now that's smoking fast. Who needs a Mooney?

Last edited:
tell me about it ed. there is some nasty crap building in the dakotas. I am tempted to launch tonight--but if I do that I have no idea where we'll stop or sleep plus big headwinds...

Other option is to launch *early* tomorrow morning around 5am. The headwinds will be huge.

Last option is to wait until Friday and it'll either suck bad or be ok.

I'm leaning towards fighting the winds tomorrow. I'd launch tonight if there were someplace to stop..

Another glance at the weather and tomorrow morning it will be.

I have to do a computer install in Indy so I will be leaving tomorrow to get there. Will most likely stay the night, punch through the cold front on Friday morning and deal with better winds then. If I was flying FROM Gaston's home the flight would take under 3 hours. Why couldn't this thing have waited until Sunday?

thats what you guys get for leaving early. I should have tailwinds both ways, which really is the only way to do it when you are flying a 140

Back