Got a puter problem

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Hey there all you techno gurus. I've got a problem with my puter locking up. I bought an external hard drive to store all my picture files on since they are freakin huge when they come off my camera, and I didn't want to clog up my laptop HD. Well, now it seems that every time I unplug it, the computer locks up, can't move the cursor/pointer, nothing, all I can do is hold the power button down to shut it off. Strange thing is, I have another smaller older external, and I can use it as well, as long as I have one of these two plugged in, no problems. I tried removing them with and without going through the "safely remove" dealy bobber, no difference. Sometimes if I try to restart it without plugging one in, it wont even go into primary boot, nothing. Any clues? I'd like to be able to run this thing without having to have a periferal drive.

It's a Toshiba Satellite M35X-S349 Pentium M 1.7 Ghz and it says 480 Ram running XP 2002 and SP 2. I have Office 2000 SB edition as well as Front Page XP. If you need more info, you'll have to tell me how to get it.

Thanks

When is the last time you went to Windows Update to update your drivers?

And who manufactured the external, and did it come with a driver instal disk?

Like Chuck said, I would check for new drivers. Also, When it is plugged in, do you see a small icon at the bottom right that says "safely remove this device"? I would try and use that to shut down the device.

Greebo said:
When is the last time you went to Windows Update to update your drivers?

And who manufactured the external, and did it come with a driver instal disk?

I use automatic update, and I have even reinstalled all the software from clean. Same same. Not sure who manufactured the external, but it happens the same with both and even with a third HD when I swap them in one of the units. I didn't install any extra software, XP did it all on its own.

Michael said:
Like Chuck said, I would check for new drivers. Also, When it is plugged in, do you see a small icon at the bottom right that says "safely remove this device"? I would try and use that to shut down the device.

Yep there is and I have tried using it to no avail.

Last edited:
Well whoever made the External drive will likely have their name on it, not to mention the box it came in should specify. I'd go to their website and look for any driver downloads for that product that they may offer.

It may be a problem with THEIR device, too, so other things to look for would be bios/flash updates for the external drive, or the like.

When you reboot, does a popup come up saying "Microsoft just recovered from a serious error"? If it does, you can report it, then click on details to see what file caused the problem, if there is a fix in the microsoft database, and or google that file with error, and see what others have done to fix it...

Does the computer have problems when other USB problems are unplugged? It may be a BIOS issue on the motherboard with the USB controller. Check for updates from the manufacturer site.

Did you have the drive plugged in when you installed any programs? Some critical .dll or driver may be installed on the external drive by mistake.

Michael said:
When you reboot, does a popup come up saying "Microsoft just recovered from a serious error"? If it does, you can report it, then click on details to see what file caused the problem, if there is a fix in the microsoft database, and or google that file with error, and see what others have done to fix it...

Nope,

Michael said:

Nope, no popup

Greebo said:
Well whoever made the External drive will likely have their name on it, not to mention the box it came in should specify. I'd go to their website and look for any driver downloads for that product that they may offer.

It may be a problem with THEIR device, too, so other things to look for would be bios/flash updates for the external drive, or the like.

The unit has no name on it, and I've already thrown the box away.

Brian Austin said:
Does the computer have problems when other USB problems are unplugged? It may be a BIOS issue on the motherboard with the USB controller. Check for updates from the manufacturer site.

Did you have the drive plugged in when you installed any programs? Some critical .dll or driver may be installed on the external drive by mistake.

I can plug in either of my external HDs, and I'm ok. Without either, no good.

got this from a search:

Because USB devices are Plug and Play devices, there is little that you can do to control or configure them. However, most you can trace most USB problems to one of the following conditions:

• [*]Malfunctioning or incorrectly configured hardware
    [*] Malfunctioning, incorrectly configured, or missing device driver
    [*]Mismatched cabling
    [*]Out-of-date firmware or basic input/output system (BIOS)
    [*]Improperly configured root hub
You can use the following troubleshooting tips to check for each of these conditions to help you resolve USB device issues.
Malfunctioning or Incorrectly Configured Hardware
Usually, plugging a malfunctioning or incorrectly-configured device into a USB port, causes the computer to hang or freeze. In most cases, you must physically turn off the computer and turn it back on to reset the bus. You may find it very difficult to identify which device is malfunctioning or is incorrectly configured. It would be a big help if another computer that you know is working correctly is available, yu can try to plug the device into that computer to see if the same problem appears.
If the device is plugged into a secondary hub, unplug the device from the hub and then plug the device directly into the root hub.
Many hardware problems, such as high or low power, bandwidth shortage, malfunctioning or incorrectly configured firmware, etc., can cause problems to happen.
Check Device Manager(My Computer-->right click-->Properties-->System Properties-->Device Manager) to be certain that the root hub is working properly. If the root hub is displayed with an exclamation point in a yellow circle, verify that the BIOS is assigning an interrupt request (IRQ) to the root USB controller. This is required for the device driver to be loaded. (For more info, see KB article 133240 Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager at www.microsoft.com)
Malfunctioning, Incorrectly Configured, or Missing Device Driver
Usually, when you plug in a USB device, the computer should load and then configure the device without ever requesting a device driver, assuming that there is a driver for it. If the computer prompts you for a device driver, check with the manufacturer of the device to determine if a driver is available.
Mismatched Cabling
There are two types of USB cables, high speed and low speed. Low-speed cables differ from high-speed cables primarily in their shielding. If you plug a high-speed device into a low-speed cable, you can cause signal distortion over long distances. Verify the entire USB chain is working correctly to be certain that a device that requires the ability to draw power from the hub is not plugged into the chain on the other side of a non-powered hub. This causes that hub and all of the devices down the chain to be suspended. If the hub is a powered hub, verify that the power supply for that hub is configured properly.
Out-of-Date Firmware or BIOS
The key to all USB devices is the firmware. The USB device's firmware contains all of the information about the device. A port is not reset until all of the data in the firmware has been loaded and verified by the root hub. This is critical because it applies to items such as printers and modems. Make certain that you have the most up-to-date firmware that is available for both your computer's BIOS and each individual device.
The symptoms of malfunctioning or incorrectly configured firmware might be unusual. As a rule, when you remove and then re-add a USB device, the device simply becomes available again. However, the device may appeara second time, and load itself as the same device in Device Manager. If you see duplicates of a device, verify that you have the most up-to-date firmware for that device. This issue is common with USB printers and modems. A similar issue that has the same cause occurs when a device loads a device driver and then adds a second device for which there appears to be no driver. The second device is displayed with an exclamation point in a yellow circle in Device Manager. The device may work correctly, but you cannot remove the "ghost" device until you unplug the parent device that seems to have generated the ghost device. Also, you may be able to resolve this issue by updating the firmware or the device driver for that device.
Incorrectly Configured Root Hub
USB controllers require that an IRQ be assigned. The IRQ line is assigned in the computer's BIOS, and usually IRQ 9 is assigned.

If your device is NOT connected to an externally powered USB hub, try using one. I've had really strange things happen when the USB device tried to draw more power than the computer USB port would deliver - 500ma.

That information cost Microsoft a lot of money - 3 hours of Indian tech time on the phone - and they wouldn't let me go until they found out the problem! Just kept at it from the driver side until they asked if the device was connected thru a hub. No, it was a USB 2.0 device and I only had a USB 1.0 powered hub. It worked somewhat anyway and that was the key to the problem.

Henning said:
I use automatic update, and I have even reinstalled all the software from clean. Same same. Not sure who manufactured the external, but it happens the same with both and even with a third HD when I swap them in one of the units. I didn't install any extra software, XP did it all on its own.

Yep there is and I have tried using it to no avail.

I wonder if a malware scanner found the external drive and is locking up when it's not there?

1.) Click Start
2.) Click Run
3.) Type in: regedit and click OK
FIRST OFF. We want to backup your registry before we do this. Just incase. Click File on the top left corner than Export. On the bottom where it says Export Range click: ALL. Save this somewhere.

Now you can continue to the steps below :)

4.) On the left side are some folders...a tree basically. Expand/Click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
5.) Expand/Click System
6.) Expand/Click CurrentControlSet
7.) Expand/Click Enum
8.) Expand/Click USB

In here you are going to see several things. Essentially they are all the USB devices and HUBs. Everything that starts with VID is a USB device. If you click on one of those and then click the thing that is inside that folder..another folder. You'll see a descrption of it on the left hand side.
I would delete any of the VID's that have to do with your mouse, hard drive, etc. This is safe to do, It'll redetect them. Now close regedit and reboot. Tell me if this helped :)

Last edited:
/me thinks jangell just volunteered to do the support if this goes wrong. :)

;)

Greebo said:
/me thinks jangell just volunteered to do the support if this goes wrong. :)

;)

:yes:

Thou shalt not fear thy registry.

Me? I don't fear my registry one bit.

I fear sending others into their registries. :)

jangell said:
1.) Click Start
2.) Click Run
3.) Type in: regedit and click OK
FIRST OFF. We want to backup your registry before we do this. Just incase. Click File on the top left corner than Export. On the bottom where it says Export Range click: ALL. Save this somewhere.

Now you can continue to the steps below :)

4.) On the left side are some folders...a tree basically. Expand/Click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
5.) Expand/Click System
6.) Expand/Click CurrentControlSet
7.) Expand/Click Enum
8.) Expand/Click USB

In here you are going to see several things. Essentially they are all the USB devices and HUBs. Everything that starts with VID is a USB device. If you click on one of those and then click the thing that is inside that folder..another folder. You'll see a descrption of it on the left hand side.
I would delete any of the VID's that have to do with your mouse, hard drive, etc. This is safe to do, It'll redetect them. Now close regedit and reboot. Tell me if this helped :)

Well, first off, I couldn't find anything there for a mouse, and just what exactly ISN'T included in "etc". Anyhow whenever I try to delete something it just says "Unable to Detect Specified Values", so it's a no go there. BTW, noticed one more thing, when I have my Epson RX 600 printer plugged in, I'm good as well. It's gotta be in the USB interface. It doesn't seem to matter what's plugged into it, it just wants something plugged in. I tried getting rid of the USB hu reg files, but no matter what I try to get rid of, I get the above error. Now here's what may be another clue. When it locks up, and I shut it down with the button, and turn it back on again, it will light up the button, give a burst of fan and just sit there silent and dark except the power button light for several minutes before starting boot up, then all of a sudden, boot with no prompting or touching anything.

Last edited:
Brian Austin said:

It doesn't seem to care what is plugged into the USB, so long as something is. My printer or either of my externals plugged in, no problem. Unplug everything, lock up. Now here's what may be another clue. When it locks up, and I shut it down with the button, and turn it back on again, it will light up the button, give a burst of fan and just sit there silent and dark except the power button light for several minutes before starting boot up, then all of a sudden, boot with no prompting or touching anything.

Henning said:
It doesn't seem to care what is plugged into the USB, so long as something is. My printer or either of my externals plugged in, no problem. Unplug everything, lock up. Now here's what may be another clue. When it locks up, and I shut it down with the button, and turn it back on again, it will light up the button, give a burst of fan and just sit there silent and dark except the power button light for several minutes before starting boot up, then all of a sudden, boot with no prompting or touching anything.
I'd check for BIOS updates as my next step.

Brian Austin said:
I'd check for BIOS updates as my next step.

I'll type this very slowly to make sure you understand, I'M STUPID, how do I go about this process?:dunno:

I once seen a Toshiba notebook that had a damaged USB port that was causing all kinds of odd problems. The port was just bent and I fixed it with a screw driver. It was shorting out agaisnt the case.

So.. Just to be sure.. Look at the port, is it bent at all. I'm starting to think that when you unplug the device the connector inside is shorting agaisnt the case.

jangell said:
I once seen a Toshiba notebook that had a damaged USB port that was causing all kinds of odd problems. The port was just bent and I fixed it with a screw driver. It was shorting out agaisnt the case.

So.. Just to be sure.. Look at the port, is it bent at all. I'm starting to think that when you unplug the device the connector inside is shorting agaisnt the case.

That's a great thought, me being a mechanical wrench turning type person had that at the beginning. The thing is, I have three USB ports, a double at the back and a single on the side, and It doesn't matter which one I plug into, I just need to have something plugged into one of them.

Henning said:
The unit has no name on it, and I've already thrown the box away.

Look for an FCC ID number on the bottom of it. If you find one, go to Driverguide.com and register (it's free, and no spam). Their search engine should allow you to find the drivers and or the manufacturer.
Thie has worked for me when my boss has taken in "homeless" periferal devices in the past.
Good luck.:)

tparsons said:
If your device is NOT connected to an externally powered USB hub, try using one. I've had really strange things happen when the USB device tried to draw more power than the computer USB port would deliver - 500ma.

That information cost Microsoft a lot of money - 3 hours of Indian tech time on the phone - and they wouldn't let me go until they found out the problem! Just kept at it from the driver side until they asked if the device was connected thru a hub. No, it was a USB 2.0 device and I only had a USB 1.0 powered hub. It worked somewhat anyway and that was the key to the problem.

As long as I have a device, powered or unpowered plugged into any of the three USB ports, no problem, the weird thing is when I UNplug the device, or try to boot without one plugged in is when I have total system failure.

Henning said:
As long as I have a device, powered or unpowered plugged into any of the three USB ports, no problem, the weird thing is when I UNplug the device, or try to boot without one plugged in is when I have total system failure.
Drivers aren't an issue with bootup problems since drivers don't get loaded until the OS loads. If it's not booting, it's either a BIOS issue (since found not to be the case) or a hardware issue with the motherboard.

A couple of possible solutions:

1. Send it to Toshiba to get it fixed.
2. Keep one of your existing USB devices plugged in at all times and live with it.
3. Purchase a USB drive and keep it plugged in at all times and live with it.

Other than that, I have no solutions to recommend.

Brian Austin said:
Drivers aren't an issue with bootup problems since drivers don't get loaded until the OS loads. If it's not booting, it's either a BIOS issue (since found not to be the case) or a hardware issue with the motherboard.

A couple of possible solutions:

1. Send it to Toshiba to get it fixed.
2. Keep one of your existing USB devices plugged in at all times and live with it.
3. Purchase a USB drive and keep it plugged in at all times and live with it.

Other than that, I have no solutions to recommend.

I disagree Brian, There could be software conflicts that are the cause too. I would be willing to bet a clean install of windows would fix it. windows is trying to disable the port, and getting stuck.
but I have been wrong once before.

Michael said:
I disagree Brian, There could be software conflicts that are the cause too. I would be willing to bet a clean install of windows would fix it. windows is trying to disable the port, and getting stuck.

Then it should boot from a Windows (or Linux) install CD. Has that been tried?

Michael said:
Windows loads AFTER the bootup, though. This laptop isn't even booting up without a USB device or waiting a very, very long time after the power button is pressed. An operating system cannot control the motherboard at that level.

If that was the case, simply going into Safe Mode would show that it was a Windows issue since Safe Mode loads only the absolute minimum required to give the user an interface. But since no opportunity for even GETTING into Safe Mode exists when first turned on...

Brian Austin said:
Windows loads AFTER the bootup, though. This laptop isn't even booting up without a USB device or waiting a very, very long time after the power button is pressed. An operating system cannot control the motherboard at that level.

If that was the case, simply going into Safe Mode would show that it was a Windows issue since Safe Mode loads only the absolute minimum required to give the user an interface. But since no opportunity for even GETTING into Safe Mode exists when first turned on...

your right brian. my appologies. I mustve missed that part.

Michael said:
your right brian. my appologies. I mustve missed that part.
Ah, my two favorite words: "you're right." :D

No need for apologies, Michael. Dialogue is what brings up new ideas. I'd rather be questioned and wrong than not. ;)

Michael said:

That was the first major thing I did, no joy.

Henning, if you weren't halfway around the world we could take it to my CFI/computer company CEO in Vicksburg, MS and examine the BIOS parameters.

I'm no Toshiba certified repairman, but I bet something the BIOS has gotten hosed and a reflash might at least recover the ROM to pre-usb external drive configuration. There may even be a BIOS update that can handle the external drive status changes.

I'm leaning towards an actual hardware issue.

Of course nothing is for sure since I can't see it. But that's what it sounds like.

Back