Got a piece of paper today...

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
It says TEMPORARY AIRMAN CERTIFICATE. :goofy:

Got 'er done!

Met my CFI an hour prior to the second half of my ride so do some pattern work. I was flying a different aircraft today that I don't fly much, so the practice as good to have. Its a M model 172 rather than the N I usually fly, the main things I hate are that the ASI is in MPH (technically the speed in knots is shown as well, but not very obvious...) Also, the flap switch has to be held down, rather than setting and forgetting it...

Anyway, refueled, met my DPE again, did a quick walk around and did a taxi to 35R at KAPA. Tower asked me to take off on the roll, which I wasn't too thrilled with so I answered "negative." Waited for a bit, did a short field takeoff, and got into left traffic for 35L. He seemed pretty happy that I verbalized everything I was doing, including speeds I was shooting for, clearing the 50ft obstruction, etc. I followed the PAPI for 35L perfectly, realized that I was going to land a bit short for a short field landing and added power. Too much power. I realized the landing was busted, full throttle, nose forward, carb heat in, flaps back to 20 and climbed out. I redid the landing -- it was a harder landing than I would have liked, good thing that the PTS doesn't require a soft landing for a short field. Taxi off the runway, clear to take off again and did a soft field takeoff.

I realized I forgot to reset the trim during my after landing checklist, so I had to taxi really slow with the yoke back and verify my trim was reset. That would suck to blow a soft field takeoff due to trim! Anyway, did the takeoff which the DPE loved, came around for a soft field landing. Had a nice and stable approach down the PAPI, added in lots of nose up trim and kept some power in. A slight gust got me off to the right a bit but I corrected and did a nice soft landing. Came up on B14 and tower asked me to exit there. Still had the yoke back into my stomach determined to NOT screw this landing up, gave tower an "unable." Had I been on the brakes already, I probably could have made it, but no sense in screwing up my final landing.

Anyway, the taxi back was uneventful, if not stressful. The DPE told me previously about a applicant who did everything right on his checkride, but busted it on the way back because he didn't follow taxi instructions and created a conflict! I made it back, did the shutdown checklist, the DPE turned to me, shook my hand and said congrats!

Hasn't quite sunk in yet, but it is quite the relief being at the end of the road (for the pilot's certificate, not the learning!) My DPE said that I had great instruction, which is true. In almost 90 hours of time the last 7 months, with flights out of state and flying with instructors at KAPA, I've worked with 4 CFI's on a regular basis, and another 4 that I did a flight or two with and ended up learning a ton from all of them. Plus there quite a few pilots and instructors on forums like this who have been quite helpful, so many thanks to all for their valuable contributions! You rock! :)

Well done sir and welcome to the club! Enjoyed reading your write up, I could feel your enthusiasm just by reading your post.

Keep up the good work and go take up a passenger to share your accomplishment with.

And now you can join me in the excited and anxious wait for the "real" certificate to show up :rofl:
Sigh, I still have a couple months before the temporary is up on mine (added multi), but I'm checking the mail every day anxiously awaiting the plastic like Ralphy and his secret decoder ring.

Congrats! Any plans for what's next?

Got mine in August, plastic came about 6 weeks after.
Still has not sunk in.
Way cool and I too enjoyed the susscess and nice write up

:cheers::cheers:

I got a letter from the government the other day

Congrats!

Who was the DPE and we got another Colorado POA'er!

All that trimming paid off! ;)

Welcome to the League of Temporary Airmen. ;)

Big congrats.

See ya at the airport.

Congratulations, you're in some great country to explore, learn more and fly safe in.

And now you can join me in the excited and anxious wait for the "real" certificate to show up :rofl:
Sigh, I still have a couple months before the temporary is up on mine (added multi), but I'm checking the mail every day anxiously awaiting the plastic like Ralphy and his secret decoder ring.

I'm in the same boat, too!

Nice work! It will take a while to sink in. The gittyness was relived when I got the plastic card in the mail about 5 weeks later. It's fun to show it off.

Now, go FLY!!!!

Who was the DPE and we got another Colorado POA'er!

I went with Andy Munnis. Very reasonable and fair.

All that trimming paid off! ;)

Welcome to the League of Temporary Airmen. ;)

Big congrats.

See ya at the airport.

Yup! I gotta remember when the flying isn't going well, that the lack of trim is usually the reason. Fortunately that's happening less and less these days.

See ya around! :D

I plan to use the "license to learn" for its intended purpose -- XC travel.

My next major goals are to get more education on weather issues. I'm going to start chipping away at an instrument ground school of some sort, not sure which though.

I really don't see myself going for more than the IA, with the likely exception of complex / HP and maybe gyroplane flying at some point, that looks pretty cool.

Welcome to the League of Temporary Airmen!

Back