Got a new GoPro mount and tested it out..

BellyUpFish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Backtothesand
Well, I recently picked up a couple GoPro mounts from MyPilotPro.com and finally got around to strapping them to the plane. I've got one setup in the cockpit at the moment and one mounted on the wing.

Thought I'd share the video..

Great video... Wish it didn't have the time lapse, but that's just me...:eek: Great job!!!

Yeh, it would have pushed 20 minutes without it. Most folks only watch 3 minutes of a video.

You must've learned to fly in Japan (left sideway of runway). JK. FBO owner of Part 135 I flew at told me that once when he was checking me out in a C402. Cool video though, I liked it.

Nice video - a fair amount of jelloing going on, but that is just a matter of dampening the mount better.

Keep it up.

which model of GoPro?

Great position and perspective! Looks good!

I love all the grass runways around you! Jealous :)

Nice video - a fair amount of jelloing going on, but that is just a matter of dampening the mount better.

Keep it up.

I need to sort that out, the mount is rock solid, it's one of the mounts from MyPilotPro.com.. I really like the mount.

6b5dd3bd548c71c30f6759e34d99a3ec.jpg

which model of GoPro?

Hero 3..

Last edited:
Where's that last strip, w/ houses, fly-in airport? You based at MSL? Looked like it. BTW liked the BAMA hat! RTR

Just east of Clanton on the Coosa R. there's a grass strip, Ware Island. Landed there a few times but I think different owner now.

War Eagle, ya'll!

Ain't found many grass strips down here in LA, but Wetumpka has a grass crosswind available. Still looking for good places to fly to for lunch, too . . . .

No Awwwburns allowed! :D

I taught at Wetumpka for years. That grass runway is very good and great to have available. There's actually a lot of grass strips in LA, just have to look close. Terminal at Dothan had a good restaurant years ago, don't believe you have to go thru security. Troy just south of the airport, maybe they have a crew car. And there's always Destin and Pensacola.

Where's that last strip, w/ houses, fly-in airport? You based at MSL? Looked like it. BTW liked the BAMA hat! RTR

Just east of Clanton on the Coosa R. there's a grass strip, Ware Island. Landed there a few times but I think different owner now.

We only Roll Tide around here.. ;)

I am based at KMSL. Last strip is Windward Pointe. Nice place.

Yeah used to fly 121 into MSL, thought I recognized it. Where is Windward Pointe?

Yeah used to fly 121 into MSL, thought I recognized it. Where is Windward Pointe?

Who/what did you fly into KMSL?

Windward Point(e) I'm not sure if it has the E, is about 3 miles south of KMSL..

00a13725fe2233926a916570b75dca72.jpg

Back when I started at ASA we serviced MSL with the Brasilia, a 30 passenger turboprop. Think the route was ATL-GAD-MSL-ATL. Had a couple of fun layovers there. One morning we had to buzz the runway (29 I think) as there were a pack of coyotes on the runway. That was fun. Came back and landed.

Coyotes are still here.. ;) I brought the RJ in here a couple times. It was nice to layover at the house. ;)

It actually isnt a rock solid mount that you want. Yes you need it to be solidly attached but you also need to isolate the vibrations from the airplane. That is the usual source of jello. Try adding some closed cell foam as isolation in one of the clamps and see if that makes a difference.

Several people out there make mounts with this idea in mind.

There's a guy here that puts a GoPro on the bottom of his king air 350 and does low level flying. I need to see how he attaches it. Hotty Toddy

Last edited:
^^ This

A+ for effort, but it's a pretty so-so mount in terms of vibration.

I ran it on a C172 and didn't experience the same jelloing.

I do need to look into getting rid of the jello.

Going to depend on individual airplanes, where you mount it and what kind of mount you use.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=anti vibration mount gopro

Those are almost all for quad copters. Completely different deal than trying to dampen vibration strapped to something going 60-200 mph.

Really, the best approach is to use the sticky mounts and have the fewest number of connecting rods between the mount and the camera.

Last edited:
Let me just back up what 172andyou said. You don't need a bunch of mounts, metal clips, swivels, bumper pads, connectors and suction cups for your exterior mounts. As a point of fact, all that stuff will only cause lots and lots of unwanted vibrations. (Now that is completely subject to your placement. Put that camera directly in the prop wash or just on the skin and not a rib, and all bets are off! But all those fancy mounts won't help you in that case either, so it's moot.)

If you want the best exterior shots, use the little block GoPro sticky mounts that come with your camera or in a bag like this, and that's it! Get the sticky mount placed and let it setup for 24 hours. It's not coming off, until you want it to. Then just heat with a blowdryer to remove.

Get all that other stuff outta there!

Last edited:
Back