Got a Jet Job...and Some Motivation for Others

I’m thinking about quitting the jet job, strapping on a hogleg, and flying singles in Alaska for the fish cops.

A little over a year ago, I was a 36-year-old pilot with 390 hours. I had gotten my commercial back in 2019 but hadn't done anything with it so I decided to get my CFI.

For several months, I think I gave only five hours of dual, but in March of 2022, I got my ME commercial with an eye toward doing something more. At the same time, through a series of fortunate events, I managed to get on with a really good school that also paid well. I started really teaching mostly full-time (not 9-5, but hours per week wise) in April of 2022, though I kept my other job to help support my family.

Things picked up from there, with me making friendships and getting to do some King Air flying. I built turbine time that would ultimately become invaluable on a resume. I got my CFII in December of 2022, though I've yet to really use it aside from IPCs.

Long story short, from April of 2022 to March 2023, I flew nearly 800 hours. At that point, I started feeling like it was time to start looking at other options to take the next step in my career.

The airlines weren't hiring and you need 1500 hours anyway. I could stay and get to that point by the summer of 2023 with hopes that hiring would start again OR I could do what I wanted to do initially anyway, which is corporate flying.

One day recently, I was scrolling through one of those mostly useless Facebook aviation jobs groups and happened to see a one line ad for SICs in the city my wife is from and I also have family in. So I shot a resume on a whim. The jets are two mid-sized biz jets, so I didn't expect to get a call back with my total turbine time. A day later, though, I got a call. Five days later I went for an interview, and now I've been hired on with an excellent corporation and flight department.

The salary is on par with the airline's starting pay, full benefits, and I've also got that dream corporate schedule everyone talks about. Almost all day trips, 12 or so days a month flying between each pilot, no clock punching, and no office work. My wife even gets to go when we go to the Carribean and other vacation destinations. They'll get me my type rating in the next year so I can upgrade to the left seat.

Long story short, if you are older (not that 37 is ancient, but it's second-career territory) and want to change careers, the time is now. The jobs are out there, and even if the airlines are your goal, the hiring is going to pick back up again. I went from a recreational pilot with little time to a jet job in a year. It's doable. Yeah, it's hard work, and yeah it was a ton of early mornings and late evenings instructing, but it's doable.

Best advice I would give is to just get out there and get started. Don't delay, don't make excuses, and don't settle for anything other than reaching your goal. Beat the ground once you become a part of the flying community in your area. Make friends and explore every opportunity you come across. This is the best time in history to be a working pilot, IMO.

I am so happy for you man. Congrats. I literally been struggling with should I or should I nots for the past couple of months. I started a thread about change of careers then saw this. I am very envious and wish you the best.

I’m thinking about quitting the jet job, strapping on a hogleg, and flying singles in Alaska for the fish cops.
Can I ask why? Type of flying I assume? I have a buddy who right seats on XLS+s and Falcons who says there's nothing like bumping along the ground in a piston single.

I have a feeling that if I had a jet job that I would love flying small planes in a totally different way in my spare time. Tailwheel, grass strips, aerobatics, etc.

Can I ask why? Type of flying I assume? I have a buddy who right seats on XLS+s and Falcons who says there's nothing like bumping along the ground in a piston single.

Your response does not compute. Let me highlight this for you. Listen closely, I say listen closely son: Gun, Alaska, Backcountry Singles, and get to play fish Cop.

I actually talked with a AK guide last Saturday at our 170 club meeting. He said at 100’ agl he flew between a sow grizz and her cubs. The beast ran at the plane chomping…he could see her teeth…smell her breath at 100’. It was then and there we was thinking and engine stoppage would be less than ideal.

I have a feeling that if I had a jet job that I would love flying small planes in a totally different way in my spare time. Tailwheel, grass strips, aerobatics, etc.

I like the IFR flying up in class A sipping on cheap coffee with famous people in the back, but on my off days it’s 1000’ agl in my 170. Lookin at the ground. Simple airframe, flies hands-off, relaxing.

Jupp! I fly a widebody for a living, but in my spare time it's low and slow in the Cub or aerobatics in the Pitts.

Gun, Alaska, Backcountry Singles, and get to play fish Cop.

So when do you start the new job in Alaska.?? I would go if I wasn't already at retirement age..
Working in Alaska is not a job, it is an adventure.

I actually talked with a AK guide last Saturday at our 170 club meeting. He said at 100’ agl he flew between a sow grizz and her cubs. The beast ran at the plane chomping…he could see her teeth…smell her breath at 100’

When I was doing bear tours, a momma griz brought her cub up to 50 feet from us. The momma sat down, (sitting down is bear body talk for everything is cool) and the cubbie walked around us and sniffed us out. After a few minutes momma got up and started walking away. When cubbie didn't immediately follow, she popped her jaws and cubbie ran to mamma and walked off with her while looking over his shoulder.

Momma was teaching her baby about us hoomans. And yes, for a couple minutes we were in between momma and cubbie...

Another time a VERY LARGE male walked by us at about 20 feet. Really unnerving when you can smell it and also hear it breathing. He stopped and eyed us for a few very long minutes, then walked off.

All I carried for self defense was a magnesium flare. We hoomans are not the top of the food chain in Alaska.

I have been low altitude a time or two.... I could smell the seals laying in the sun on the rocks.

@Zeldman yea, I don’t think the ole ball n chain will move to AK just yet. Maybe after a vacation there. She’s been wanting to go. Honestly, the job probably wants someone with backcountry experience, or at least pipeline. I’m just a city boy cruising around in Alpha with dress shoes on!

I don’t think the ole ball n chain will move to AK just yet.

Yeah, there are 2 types of women in Alaska: Those who love it, and those who hate it.

Most women like Anchorage, but the money is not in ANC so the boys go to the bush.

I went to Alaska with a whopping 900 hours, mostly instructing, and had no clue what I was getting into, but I survived the first winter with all my fingers and toes.!!

In any event, nine years later I am having a blast flying as a contract pilot on a few different airframes

I need to get smarter on contract pilot work, specifically what/where/how to/how much/ of the market for it. It's been a real black box for me. As a .mil guy, I get the impression my only pivot is 121, since I lack type ratings and make/model time in the airplanes I'd likely want to do contract work in (PC-12, TBM, King Air, single pilot airframes basically).

Hey, RudyP!

I was in exactly the same position as you are back in 2014. I never saw the need for my Commercial, much less my ATP, but I knew they were changing the ATP requirements and figure that I might as well get it, since I had passed the checkride a couple of times with my Type Rating.

So I took both written exams and at my next recurrent, did two separate days: The first was my commercial checkride and the second was my ATP. I think I beat the deadline by about a week!

In any event, nine years later I am having a blast flying as a contract pilot on a few different airframes and really enjoying professional flying in the corporate world.

I figured that it makes sense to have options and I am really happy that I went through with it.

Abram Finkelstein
N685AS

Thanks for that post - I was actually thinking of you (and an acquaintance who has a jet and flies a friend's P300 on occasion as paid pilot) when I asked the question. Not sure it would fit into my life any time soon but it is interesting to see how others are able to make it work.

I need to get smarter on contract pilot work, specifically what/where/how to/how much/ of the market for it. It's been a real black box for me. As a .mil guy, I get the impression my only pivot is 121, since I lack type ratings and make/model time in the airplanes I'd likely want to do contract work in (PC-12, TBM, King Air, single pilot airframes basically).

I am happy to answer any questions about it.

Abram Finkelstein
N685AS

Back