Got a chance to fly the departments helicopter

It was a good thing I didn't see that You Tube video before I took the controls. However the Pilot never let me get too crazy.

I don't see the County (my employer) ever helping me with my PPL or helicopter training. My only hope is we buy a different helicopter that maintains the two seats with the patient compartment behind them. Then I might be able to get some stick time. But I'm not holding my breath.

Hey Roy,

NJ has a couple of S-76 EMS ships for sale. They are like 20 years old, with tons of hours on them. The one they sold brought 642,000.00. Not bad for an 11 million dollar helicopter. Has both seats in at all times with dual controls. In NJ they fly two pilots in the EMS ships at all times.

Mike in NJ

You need to take up the spelling with the FAA, but if the FAA requires special training to fly a training helicopter, I would stay clear of it.

[FONT=&quot]Robertson R-22/R-44. SFAR 73 requires special training and experience, above that of 14 CFR part 61, to operate a Robertson R-22 or R-44 helicopter.

Even if you have 10,000 hours in other helicopters, you still can't fly it.

[/FONT]

It's obvious you're not a helicopter pilot, and have probably never even sat in a "Robinson".

The SFAR for Robinson was actually written by Frank Robinson as a way to lower his product liability and have the pilots well trained above FAA standards.

The R44 and R22 are two very different helicopters. The R44 has a high inertia rotor system versus the R22 low inertia system.

The Robinson helicopters are extremely well built, well engineered machines. Maintenance per flight hour is much lower than other comparable helicopters.

Back