Got a chance to fly the departments helicopter

flightmedic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flightmedic
In my introductory post I mentioned I was a flight medic on a Fire Rescue helicopter and intend to get my PPL in the future. Normally the left seat of the Astar 350B is removed to accommodate the patient stretcher but last week the stretcher was removed and the seat with all controls were re-installed for the pilots FAA check ride.

The night before the check ride, we decided to do a recon of our County and I was able to sit in the left seat. We were no more clear of the airport when the pilot said "OK, the ship is yours." I was able to fly for about 45 minutes and although I was either climbing or descending, he said I did very good for a first timer. We did practice hovering which I realized was much harder than it looks.

I had a blast and and he also told me to get a log book and he will sign it as he is a CFI. What a great day to make all the other flight medics jealous.

Really cool. Didn't happen to be 911US, did it? I've seen that helicopter lots up at XFL, not sure if that might be the one you got to fly?

Heck of a way to start... first logged time is turbine time, not too shabby! You're already spoiled...an R22 just won't do now.

Really cool. Didn't happen to be 911US, did it? I've seen that helicopter lots up at XFL, not sure if that might be the one you got to fly?

You bet that was the one. That was a custom tail number we got when when we bought the helo several months after September 11, 2001. Next time you're there walk over and ask for Roy. Hopefully I'll be there.

You bet that was the one. That was a custom tail number we got when when we bought the helo several months after September 11, 2001. Next time you're there walk over and ask for Roy. Hopefully I'll be there.

I'll remember that next time I'm down there around the Daytona area. I spent 3 years down there for school, but now I'm out on the road with my job. I did quite a bit of flying up at XFL, especially with the little CTSW LSA.

The first thing you need to do right now is to get a 'covert' checking account and have your employer split your paycheck into both accounts. That way, your family doesn't have to starve.

The first thing you need to do right now is to get a 'covert' checking account and have your employer split your paycheck into both accounts. That way, your family doesn't have to starve.

My problem is not the need for split checks, it's a problem with too many toys over the years.

My problem is not the need for split checks, it's a problem with too many toys over the years.

The crack dealer just gave you a free rock today, you are doomed at this point. Consider selling some toys to free up income for what is heading your way :) .

Our hero at his day job.

DSC_0269.jpg

The madness starts now, and I'm glad to help you on your way down that path.

Mike in NJ

The Force is strong with this one.

Yes, but much financial fear I sense.

My wifes twin sister worked for the NTSB for a time. Her boss was the Regional Director or something like that. Her name was Georgia. The NTSB people are required to maintain currency and fly a certain number of hours in some certain period.

Georgia had gotten tired of flying fixed wing and bought a Bell 47 and learned to fly it. At an annual gathering at my Wifes twin sisters place, Georgia was giving rides to anyone that wanted them, but unfortunately I was in Europe on business at the time.

Not long after, my birthday came along and whoever in the family has a birthday gets taken out to eat with the whole fam damily. My nieces birthday is the same time so I always let her pick the spot. On the way into the area my wife gets a call and says that my niece wanted to go to Hicks Field to eat because they have great hamburgers there. Okay, fine, let's go.

We get there and go into the eatery and were sitting around with no one ordering food which seemed odd. Then I look out and see a beautiful Red & White Bell 47 landing. My sister in law said "Larry there's your birthday present." I said "a helicopter?" and she said, "no but a ride in it."

We got up and were going to cross Alliance airspace so she called approach and when they gave her an altimeter setting, I adjusted the altimeter. She then asked if I'd ever flown before. I said, "fixed wing years ago." She then offered to let me fly. I flew for about an hour and then she went down over a grassy field and did a demonstration showing how the grass moved in response to the controls.

When we were getting out to put it away, she asked if I had my logbook with me. I did not, of course, since it was a surprise. She said "too bad!" I really wish I would have gotten that in my logbook.

Logged or not, it was A HOOT!

At the time, I poked around and found that a nice Bell 47 was worth about $50K. It seems that now they're worth about $250K. If I were to have a huge windfall, I would buy one and learn to fly it.

All that said I understand the kick that it must have been to fly a high performance medevac helicopter.

Doc

Yes, but much financial fear I sense.

Eh. It's just money. Get over it.
Money is way overrated nowadays. What's the fun in having a number written on a piece of paper when you could be out living life and having fun.

Go buy the helicopter, fly it until all the pieces come off and walk away smiling while all your stressed out friends are dying of heart attacks over numbers written on little green pieces of paper.

It's all about perspective.

Eh. It's just money. Get over it.
Money is way overrated nowadays. What's the fun in having a number written on a piece of paper when you could be out living life and having fun.

Go buy the helicopter, fly it until all the pieces come off and walk away smiling while all your stressed out friends are dying of heart attacks over numbers written on little green pieces of paper.

It's all about perspective.

Kind of reminds me of what Bugsy Seagal said "It's just dirty paper."

Doc

Thanks Mike for all your "help."

And thanks for all the encouragement and the 'just do it' attitude. I can start flight training now, but I have a 2 year plan that includes training and buying a plane. I doubt a helicopter is my future but an add-on license is not out of the possibility.

Standing next to me the whole time will be Turboz1r, Mike in NJ saying aw, go ahead, 'just do it.'

This place is a great resource for my quest.

Roy

The crack dealer just gave you a free rock today, you are doomed at this point. Consider selling some toys to free up income for what is heading your way :) .

So true. Well said.

And thanks for all the encouragement and the 'just do it' attitude. I can start flight training now, but I have a 2 year plan that includes training and buying a plane.

Consider switching those two around. Buy a plane and train to fly it. You mentioned that you already have some toys, rather than sinking money into rental planes, consider liquidating some of those toys and buying something cheap and cheerful to train in (Cessna 172, Piper Cherokee). It is a lot easier to remain motivated and there is less of a risk of the 'what now' moment after you obtain your license. Once the money on the plane is already spent, it's a lot easier to just go flying rather than looking at the hobbs meter of a rental plane.

I doubt a helicopter is my future but an add-on license is not out of the possibility.

Well, I dont know how old you are and whether your long-term plans could include sitting in that right seat of a helo, if they do, it may be worthwhile to head for the helo right away. It is remarkable how little you get for how much money with the 2-seat trainer helos like the Schweizers, but if flying a flap-flap bird is what you really want, it may be worthwhile to go directly that way.

Consider switching those two around. Buy a plane and train to fly it. You mentioned that you already have some toys, rather than sinking money into rental planes, consider liquidating some of those toys and buying something cheap and cheerful to train in (Cessna 172, Piper Cherokee). It is a lot easier to remain motivated and there is less of a risk of the 'what now' moment after you obtain your license. Once the money on the plane is already spent, it's a lot easier to just go flying rather than looking at the hobbs meter of a rental plane.

Well, I dont know how old you are and whether your long-term plans could include sitting in that right seat of a helo, if they do, it may be worthwhile to head for the helo right away. It is remarkable how little you get for how much money with the 2-seat trainer helos like the Schweizers, but if flying a flap-flap bird is what you really want, it may be worthwhile to go directly that way.

Oh don't say this! There are other people besides the OP reading along. It has been all I could do to buy an airplane instead of a helicopter. Don't give me a rock too!

Doc

Damn, you must have read my mind because not only is that my plan, but I have been looking at the 172's and Cherokees. Now I'm really afraid.

Damn, you must have read my mind because not only is that my plan, but I have been looking at the 172's and Cherokees. Now I'm really afraid.

Flightmedic, I second that idea. The cost of airplanes is lower than its ever been. Between a Skyhawk and a Cherokee, Cherokees have the same performance for a significant discount in price (search threads, there's plenty of discussion on this).
From an operational perspective, the two planes are the same, and the cheapest things with wings (except for 150s and TriPacers).

If you will train a lot, not take big breaks between flights, the hourly cost of a Cherokee/172 and renting birds will be comparable, but the scheduling issues will be eliminated. Plus, the fact that your own bird is sitting there waiting for you in a big motivator.

That said, if you have any serious qualms about cost of ownership, make sure you have the cash to make it work. The advantage of renting is that you can stop your costs instantly by not flying.

To add to Alan's thoughts....... make sure you consider ALL the costs of ownership; insurance, hanger fee, annual, preventive maintenance, repairs..........

There are plenty of good books that will lay this all out for you.

Enjoy.
Doc

Flightmedic, I second that idea. The cost of airplanes is lower than its ever been. Between a Skyhawk and a Cherokee, Cherokees have the same performance for a significant discount in price (search threads, there's plenty of discussion on this).
From an operational perspective, the two planes are the same, and the cheapest things with wings (except for 150s and TriPacers).

If you will train a lot, not take big breaks between flights, the hourly cost of a Cherokee/172 and renting birds will be comparable, but the scheduling issues will be eliminated. Plus, the fact that your own bird is sitting there waiting for you in a big motivator.

That said, if you have any serious qualms about cost of ownership, make sure you have the cash to make it work. The advantage of renting is that you can stop your costs instantly by not flying.

Thanks for all the advice, along with all the other posters. Your last paragraph is exactly why this is a 2 year plan. I want to be prepared and, as Doc advised, I am reading many articles and books in order to be well prepared.

You guys are great.

If you are going to fly helicopters, make it a real one and stay away from anything with the name Robertson on it.

The market has decided otherwise.

What is your gripe with the Robinson helos ?

If you are going to fly helicopters, make it a real one and stay away from anything with the name Robertson on it.

Should be easy to stay away from those... I've never heard of a "Robertson" helicopter. Or is this post just an ill-informed stab at Robinson, producer of the most popular training helicopter in the world?

Should be easy to stay away from those... I've never heard of a "Robertson" helicopter. Or is this post just an ill-informed stab at Robinson, producer of the most popular training helicopter in the world?
You need to take up the spelling with the FAA, but if the FAA requires special training to fly a training helicopter, I would stay clear of it.

[FONT=&quot]Robertson R-22/R-44. SFAR 73 requires special training and experience, above that of 14 CFR part 61, to operate a Robertson R-22 or R-44 helicopter.

Even if you have 10,000 hours in other helicopters, you still can't fly it.
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14
[/FONT]

Last edited:
You need to take up the spelling with the FAA, but if the FAA requires special training to fly a training helicopter, I would stay clear of it.

[FONT=&quot]Robertson R-22/R-44. SFAR 73 requires special training and experience, above that of 14 CFR part 61, to operate a Robertson R-22 or R-44 helicopter.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Even if you have 10,000 hours in other helicopters, you still can't fly it.[/FONT]

So ?

The SFAR requirements are easily complied with during transition training (without which no insurance will let you loose, even if you have 10,000hrs in helos with high-inertia rotors).

Before we get too far here, let me say even thinking of a getting a helicopter add on is only a remote possibility. I am a couple years away from even getting a pilot's license, let alone any add on's. I am fortunate to be able to work in a helicopter every day and had the unheard of chance to actually take the controls one day last week.

Dean, how is that requirement any different than the FAA requiring a High Performance, Complex, High Altitude, or Tailwheel endorsement? Specific knowledge to specific types of aircraft. If you want to get into this discussion, then how different is it from a Type Rating? Even if you have 10,000hrs flying 747's, you still need a type rating to switch into a King Air 350.

With regard to it being a training aircraft... a student pilot with 0 hours can train in an SR-22 and get their HP endorsement while doing PPL training. How is that different?

That's like what, 25 hours or so, right? ;) :popcorn:

I'm jealous; truly jealous. I got .4 hours in a R22 this weekend and I thought that was SO MUCH FUN! I can only dream about a turbine.
And now how to fund something like that as an ADD ON. (Think $300 an hour for the R22; 20 hours min BEFORE solo plus 10 min solo before checkride.) Of course there's also the fact the school was 60+ miles and I got 2 hours total in the warrior round trip. Someone asked how this compared to the $100 hamburger run.
There are other training helicopters available locally but all are in the same range.
Paint the warrior/fly the helicopter. Tough decision.
Given a choice, if your company could offer you some kind of help for the PP for the helicopter, that might be the way to go.

Back