Got a Call Today- A T-Hanger Became Available

Mooney Fan

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
Currently in a group hangar Greenville Ky 76 miles away. Got the call today on a T-Hangar available at KCEY Murray KY, 64 miles away. Getting closer lol... Pluses over M21 are of course having my own hangar, and a maintenance shop on field. It's an end hangar.

$100/mth

Local field to me has a wait list as long as my arm and politics rule the day on who gets in.

$225/mth

The drive for me is worth it

$100 month is indeed awesome (for a hangar, no opinion on velcro seats:eek:). But even though I'm paying a bit more than twice as much for a group hangar, I'll take my 8 mile drive (from home or from work) to the airport, I can go flying after work and be home in time for dinner.:)

$100 a month for a private hangar? I’d take that easily! My hangar is 6x that amount and is still 25 miles from me on city streets.

In Houston I was paying $500/month for community hangar (with 24 hour in/out service) but I was also living in the same building so front door to airplane was about 20 paces.

Like I tell the accountant I sleep with, I pay $300 per month for dumpster service. Only 11 miles away, so the trash does not stink up the trunk too bad when going there. It comes with a free hangar.

Like I tell the accountant I sleep with, I pay $300 per month for dumpster service. Only 11 miles away, so the trash does not stink up the trunk too bad when going there. It comes with a free hangar.
lol. The wife wants me to take the old chair, recliner etc for the hangar so she can upgrade the living room. :cool:
Since I’m retired, the hour drive is therapeutic.

Last edited:
Lucky you!

$100 is a smoking deal.
Down here in the greedy a**hole airplane-hating liberal capital of the world, you gotta pay $450-$700 for a hangar and often it isn't even a private T-hangar.
I was #5 on the list for a T-hangar 2 years ago. Then some other greedy a-hole came in, bought all the T-hangars and now I am #155 on the list.

Stick with that $100 hangar, my friend!

Hangers are $125/month at my local airport. 4 are available, I don't have an airplane to put in one. If someone wants to rent me one so I can finish my ppl training I'll pay the hanger fee and include Velcro seats.

Yes N27. I’m a 51 year old student pilot there. New airport manager has shut down flight school, fired the 2 CFI’s (I’m sure you know them) and grounded the rental planes. You may even know the airport manager. I’m trying to get TAPA to reorganize and be proactive in getting things back on track. Airport Authority Board meetings have been cancelled the last two months. PM me if you want the long story. Lol.

Yes N27. I’m a 51 year old student pilot there. New airport manager has shut down flight school, fired the 2 CFI’s (I’m sure you know them) and grounded the rental planes. You may even know the airport manager. I’m trying to get TAPA to reorganize and be proactive in getting things back on track. Airport Authority Board meetings have been cancelled the last two months. PM me if you want the long story. Lol.

Why was the school shut down, and 2 CFIs fired?

Airport manager claims it is due to an insurance issue. Current insurance company (Chubbs) now say CFIs can’t be insured unless they are county employees (County owned airport/school).

CFIs got their own insurance but airport mgr says they need $6mil worth of coverage. No one knows how he came up with this number. Attorney advising airport authority/county commisioners has zero aviation background/experience/knowledge.

So CFIs can’t fly. No CFIs to train students, flight school shut down.

Rental planes can be rented to certificated pilots that have been checked out in them. They havent flown since 8/21/18. No CFIs to check anyone new that wants to rent them.

CFIs have been training for 30+ years at the school. Has never been a problem until new mgr hired. CFIs and airport mgr have not got along for 30+ years. Airport Mgr was friend of airport board member who got him hired.

2 board meetings since the shut down have been cancelled. 1st one the mgr said will be re-scheduled. I asked when will it be rescheduled and he says the 26th of never. 2nd one just cancelled.

County Commisioners meeting is this Thursday. I’ll be attending looking for answers. So for now I’m stuck with traveling an hour to another school or purchasing an airplane/starting a club.

Holy guacamole! $100?

I charge $350/mo for space in my hangar. I could get $450, but I discount it since the poor bastard has to deal with me. ;) But the restroom, and office with A/C, Wi-Fi, Sat TV and fridge count for something.

I didn’t know that was going down. I haven’t been up there in a while. I have the grass strip in Dushore. We spend a lot of weekends there. If you get TAPA going again, I would be interested in joining.

Back