Got a big work shed! Now what?

Irish_Armada

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Irish Armada
Just moved to a new house and I now have a decently big work shed. Its about garage-sized and has electricity and lights and cement floor, but otherwise is pretty old. Anyways, I am pretty ignorant on the mechanics side of this whole flying thing and really want a project to work on that will be a good leaning experience for, generically, "how planes work". Any suggestions for a beginner? Should I go find a run out engine for sale to take apart? Go to the airplane scrap yard and buy some horrific skeleton of a plane to attempt to refurb? Would love some ideas. Again, the real mission here is to learn.
Thanks!

Get one of the better-made kits and start building yourself an airplane. Get one with pre-punched skins so that your tooling and fixturing is mininized for your first build.

Join the near east chapter of the Experimental Aircraft Assn, attend some meetings and find out what people are working on. Hang out with them, lend a hand and if it seems like fun, check out some kits.

Many kits can be purchased in sections, often the tail is first. That will be an introduction to building, not necessarily how things work.

Go out and buy a nice kit plane,have some fun ,get building.

Which appeals to you more, building a brand new kit, or restoring an old plane? I would suggest doing an actual project that will result in a flyable plane rather than some toasted engine, or airframe just for practice. I am a huge fan of learning on the job so to speak. Build something of value as you learn. The kit is nice because it comes with instructions and factory support. Of course the restoration project can be aided by a type specific club as well.

Either way, join the EAA and check out the local chapter. Have fun and now matter what, don't let the space just become another storage area for junk. Put it to creative use!

If you want to restore / rebuild, start with an E-AB aircraft so you don't run into issues with someone not signing off on some obscure thing...

(IMO)

+1 to joining the EAA

Go to a few meetings, hang out in a few hangars, ideas will come to you.

You might better find a good ol A&P that will allow you to work under their supervision and restore a Cessna 170.

Thanks for the feedback! Zeroing in on maybe trying an RV kit, heard they have a really basic starter subkit potentially for ~$800? Or I could start with the more obvious subkit for the empennage and see how she goes. Meanwhile, ordered Ron W's beginner builder book so I can find out how ludicrous I'm being... Can I also assume my wife will be fully supportive of this endeavor? :D

RVs are sexy, but be aware that they take quite some time to build.

Depending on your mission, a Sonex or a CH750 might also be worth considering and can be completed in significantly less time. The EAA built a CH750 during the 7 days at the Airventure 2014: https://youtu.be/d7E4LilJ0fw

Back