GoPro2 or GoPro3

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
I have been thinking of getting a gopro to log some of my flights. I cannot decide if it's worth it to buy the new go pro or maybe buy two of the old ones and stick one inside and the other outside somewhere. Anyone care to give some opinions on this? Thanks!

I like the fact that you can control the 3 wirelessly with a phone or tablet (ios or android).

The big advantage of the 3, is the ability to control it "LIVE." The 2's are nice set and forget thing. If you put the 64M cards you still get close to an hour of time on them at the high def setting.

Having two is fun. You can use multiple point of views or you can get the stereo case for the thing and shoot 3D.

I would go with the 3 and spring for the black edition which has some worthwhile upgrades over the base 3. The HD at 60 frames is nice for dealing with the vibration when filming in the plane.

I have the 2 and love it. I think the upgrades to the 3 are amazing. Somethings are worth spending the extra money on.

I would go with the 3 and spring for the black edition which has some worthwhile upgrades over the base 3. The HD at 60 frames is nice for dealing with the vibration when filming in the plane.
I have the silver edition, and I have little regret. The black edition can shoot 4k video (think movie theater), and I've always thought zomg why would you want that for $100 extra??

I had a Hero, a Hero 2 and now have a Hero 3 Black Edition. I love the Hero 3 it is a great camera. The Hero 3 Silver is basically a rehoused Hero 2 that has built in wifi. So the specs on the camera are the same.

I have a HERO 3 Silver. You can see a video I took with it embedded below (make sure you watch it in HD). I really like it, though the only issue is the vibration. You can see the jello effect in my video in some places, but it does take pretty nice video.

I got the Hero 3 black for Xmas . Now all I got to do is taking some night classes so I can use it .

Have a hero 2 and and a hero 3 black. The hero 2 seems a bit more robust, and it's battery time is longer. The new upgrade for the hero 3 has made the MP4 files incompatible with movie maker. You can get wifi for the hero2 by buying the add on, though I have not seen a use for it while flying. I set my cameras one right one left and one front and forget them. Have the 3d casing for the hero 2. Other than a neat gimmick not sure it adds much. The hero 3 uses the micro SD and so you need the adapter or connect camera to computer via USB. There is more to lose with the hero 3 though the black has higher definition capabilities it eats up memory real fast. Bottom line for me is the Hero 3 is certainly a more capable device, but for what I do the hero 2 does the job quite well.

Doug

Back