GoPro vs Nflightcam

flav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
David
Does anyone have experience using the GoPro and or the Nflightcam camera for inflight recording?

I have previously used the larger Sony digital 8 cameras for my inflight recordings with fairly good results.
But now I would like to upgrade to something that can record in 1080P.

If you have a different camera you would like to suggest that would be welcomed as well.
If it has a suction mount and external audio jack would also be nice.

Please include inflight video examples if possible from Youtube.

Does anyone have experience using the GoPro and or the Nflightcam camera for inflight recording?

I have previously used the larger Sony digital 8 cameras for my inflight recordings with fairly good results.
But now I would like to upgrade to something that can record in 1080P.

If you have a different camera you would like to suggest that would be welcomed as well.
If it has a suction mount and external audio jack would also be nice.

Please include inflight video examples if possible from Youtube.
Forget Youtube... if you have an NFlightcam you can use Contour...

http://contour.com/users/texastailwheel

I'm using the older NFlightcam version, but the new one with the prop blur lens is awesome.

Ryan

Gopro is winning the small adventure camera game right now by far. Get a Hero2.

Contour has broke on us 3 times. We haven't used it much. We sent it to get fixed 2 months ago, still hasn't gotten back. The power button is very hard to turn on. I gave up after it being too much of a PITA.

Gopro is winning the small adventure camera game right now by far. Get a Hero2.

I have the GoPro 960 but it doesn't have an external mic jack and I don't believe the Hero2 has one either (unless someone knows otherwise).
I use the external mic jack to record the ATC audio without engine noise interference.

Might. The hero2 has wifi not sure if you plug a mike in with that, but would be worth checking into.

Don't have experience with GoPro in an airplane, but I used it for the first time Snowboarding and the Hero2 works very well. I was impressed.

Another option is the HD Stealth 170. It takes a couple adapter cords to get the sound, but it gives me a nice picture. The video below was shot in 720/25 fms. It will film in 1080, but the file sizes are immense. Even at 720/25, an hour adds up to about 3.5 gigs.

I mounted the camera on the side of the windshield with an adjustable suction cup mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJBixW2s4q8&feature=related

Scott

I have been looking at the HD Stealth myself. Did you run the mic inside one of your earcups or did you find an inline adapter to plug into the headphone jacks?

Doug

I believe the GoPro2 has a mic input. I have the Hero1 and it doesn't - I simply capture atc on digital recorder and edit it in later - but now with the Hero2 I don't think that will be necessary.

I can certainly attest to it's durability though. My GoPro has been on a jeep in the mud, towed behind a boat for fishing, cliffjumping, mtn biking, dirt biking, waterskiing, mounted on a shotgun for dove hunting, and even on an RC plane that I biffed into the ground, sending the camera bouncing on the dirt over 40 yards away. Everything still works fine. It's a fantastic unit. It doesn't do low light / night very well though.

Skydivers have figured out that GoPros have 50% survival rate at terminal velocity. Not too shabby considering most cameras are at 100% failure rate.
I believe the GoPro2 has a mic input. I have the Hero1 and it doesn't - I simply capture atc on digital recorder and edit it in later - but now with the Hero2 I don't think that will be necessary.

I can certainly attest to it's durability though. My GoPro has been on a jeep in the mud, towed behind a boat for fishing, cliffjumping, mtn biking, dirt biking, waterskiing, mounted on a shotgun for dove hunting, and even on an RC plane that I biffed into the ground, sending the camera bouncing on the dirt over 40 yards away. Everything still works fine. It's a fantastic unit. It doesn't do low light / night very well though.

Back