GoPro, Stratux and iPad....?

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
So, the GoPro requires both wifi and bluetooth. The Stratux broadcasts and receives wifi. Is it possible to control both with one iPad, or do I need 2 iPads, one for the GoPro wifi channel and one for the Stratux wifi channel? The GoPro can use one of 2 different channels, IIRC.

Or do I forget about the GoPro and leave it at home?

Or, do I forget about controlling it with the iPad, and just push the REC button and let it run until the battery dies?

Or.....?

Switch between the two networks as needed?

Switch between the two networks as needed?
Problem with that is that the gopro wifi is so flaky that you can spend a half hour sometimes trying to get it to reconnect.

Problem with that is that the gopro wifi is so flaky that you can spend a half hour sometimes trying to get it to reconnect.
GoPro are wonderful things for what they are. And they're also terrible things for what they are. I've about given up on them for anything where reliability is important. You turn them on, point them and hit the button. Maybe you'll get video, maybe you won't. Maybe that video will look great, maybe it won't. Total crapshoot every time.

Trying to control one remotely with WIFI? It can be done, but I've never gotten it to work consistently. In fact I don't think I've ever gotten it to work more than once without resetting everything, doing a ritual dance and sacrificing a small animal at midnight.

If I'm trying to shoot video where I absolutely need that video to capture, I no longer reach for a gopro.

Couldn't use just connect both to a hotspot or do both do directly WIFI connections?

EDIT: I use the gopro smart remote for coordinated start/stop so have never tried the wifi

I control/monitor the GoPro cams with my phone, and leave my tablet to attach to the NGT-9000 for traffic/WX. Both via wifi. The GoPros can be a little recalcitrant in connecting via wifi, but will eventually do so if you stop and restart the phone app.

I am glad to hear it is not just me. The wifi connection with gopro has been an exercise in frustration. I have no idea why it needs both bluetooth and wifi. Even if you don't switch the wifi connection, if you switch to a different app and come back, it tries to reconnect like it is a brand new connection, and more often than not it fails. Is there an alternative to gopro?

I am glad to hear it is not just me. The wifi connection with gopro has been an exercise in frustration. I have no idea why it needs both bluetooth and wifi. Even if you don't switch the wifi connection, if you switch to a different app and come back, it tries to reconnect like it is a brand new connection, and more often than not it fails. Is there an alternative to gopro?

Yes, I bought an Akaso EK7000 camera and liked it so much I bought another. It's not perfect either, but it's a fraction of the Gopro price and far more reliable.

Here's an example:
(The camera behind the cockpit is the gopro that chose not to function on this flight...)

Back