GoPro problems

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by murphey, Jul 26, 2020.

1. murphey

murphey Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    Has ayone else had problems making the GoPro (Hero 7 Black) talk to an iPad? I've got the latest version of the GoPro app and nothing works. I've spent 2 hours over 3 days with GoPro support and they don't understand the problem either. Nothing works.

Of course the first problem is the incomplete documentation - nowhere does it explain "oh wait! see that little i in a circle in the upper right corner of the camera? tap that" and so on.

Nothing connects either by bluetooth or wifi, and I need remote control of the camera.

I had a GoPro 2 years ago, easy to control from the iPad. Could watch in real-time what the camera was seeing. Not anymore. GoPro supports wants videos of the problem uploaded to YouTube. In order to do that, I need another iPad to video the process of the camera and iPad. Oh wait...I do have another iPad except it's 30 miles away in the hangar and I'm not driving out there tonight.

Anyone got suggestions?

2. Salty

Salty Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    For me it always connects perfectly until I need it to remotely, then it won’t work no matter what I do. It’s frustrating to no end. I’ll test it 10 times from the same location and it’ll work every time, then when I’m ready to use it for real, it doesn't work.

3. PaulS

PaulS Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    Yes, take it, the Hero 7, up to about 5,000 feet and toss it out the window. That's about where I am with mine.

4. wilkersk

wilkersk Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    KennyW
    I had the same problem with the Hero5. I wound up having to reset to factory default, then reloading the firmware.

Since GoPro abandoned their simple companion app and went to a full-on money-grab version, I don't even bother with it anymore. Frankly, the real world picture quality (as opposed to "megapixel" hype) is so marginal, their software isn't worth the hassle.

5. murphey

murphey Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    I've reset twice with no luck. Is there another app for remote control? I remember years ago there was a remote control dongle but will not spend anymore money on this thing. If I can't get it to work this week, it goes back for a refund.

6. murphey

murphey Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    Here' another interesting tidbit. New unit from the factory, with out of date software. Wonder if updating the software will solve the problem? Hm...reading the Discussions on the gopro website, seems that many, many people have problems connecting to a phone or tablet.

7. wilkersk

wilkersk Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    KennyW
    Are you talking about the firmwre on the camera? If so, yes definitely update the firmware! Resetting won't fix the problem. But, it'll give you a new baseline with which to load the updated firmware.

8. murphey

murphey Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    Next question....seems that both wifi and bluetooth are needed for remote control of the camera. How does that interfere with ADS-B that uses wifi? Can I have the iPhone controlling the camera using wifi and the iPad using the ADS-B wifi?