GoPro problems

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Has ayone else had problems making the GoPro (Hero 7 Black) talk to an iPad? I've got the latest version of the GoPro app and nothing works. I've spent 2 hours over 3 days with GoPro support and they don't understand the problem either. Nothing works.

Of course the first problem is the incomplete documentation - nowhere does it explain "oh wait! see that little i in a circle in the upper right corner of the camera? tap that" and so on.

Nothing connects either by bluetooth or wifi, and I need remote control of the camera.

I had a GoPro 2 years ago, easy to control from the iPad. Could watch in real-time what the camera was seeing. Not anymore. GoPro supports wants videos of the problem uploaded to YouTube. In order to do that, I need another iPad to video the process of the camera and iPad. Oh wait...I do have another iPad except it's 30 miles away in the hangar and I'm not driving out there tonight.

Anyone got suggestions?

For me it always connects perfectly until I need it to remotely, then it won’t work no matter what I do. It’s frustrating to no end. I’ll test it 10 times from the same location and it’ll work every time, then when I’m ready to use it for real, it doesn't work.

Has ayone else had problems making the GoPro (Hero 7 Black) talk to an iPad? I've got the latest version of the GoPro app and nothing works. I've spent 2 hours over 3 days with GoPro support and they don't understand the problem either. Nothing works.

Of course the first problem is the incomplete documentation - nowhere does it explain "oh wait! see that little i in a circle in the upper right corner of the camera? tap that" and so on.

Nothing connects either by bluetooth or wifi, and I need remote control of the camera.

I had a GoPro 2 years ago, easy to control from the iPad. Could watch in real-time what the camera was seeing. Not anymore. GoPro supports wants videos of the problem uploaded to YouTube. In order to do that, I need another iPad to video the process of the camera and iPad. Oh wait...I do have another iPad except it's 30 miles away in the hangar and I'm not driving out there tonight.

Anyone got suggestions?

Yes, take it, the Hero 7, up to about 5,000 feet and toss it out the window. That's about where I am with mine.

I had the same problem with the Hero5. I wound up having to reset to factory default, then reloading the firmware.

Since GoPro abandoned their simple companion app and went to a full-on money-grab version, I don't even bother with it anymore. Frankly, the real world picture quality (as opposed to "megapixel" hype) is so marginal, their software isn't worth the hassle.

I had the same problem with the Hero5. I wound up having to reset to factory default, then reloading the firmware.

Since GoPro abandoned their simple companion app and went to a full-on money-grab version, I don't even bother with it anymore. Frankly, the real world picture quality (as opposed to "megapixel" hype) is so marginal, their software isn't worth the hassle.
I've reset twice with no luck. Is there another app for remote control? I remember years ago there was a remote control dongle but will not spend anymore money on this thing. If I can't get it to work this week, it goes back for a refund.

Here' another interesting tidbit. New unit from the factory, with out of date software. Wonder if updating the software will solve the problem? Hm...reading the Discussions on the gopro website, seems that many, many people have problems connecting to a phone or tablet.

Here' another interesting tidbit. New unit from the factory, with out of date software. Wonder if updating the software will solve the problem? Hm...reading the Discussions on the gopro website, seems that many, many people have problems connecting to a phone or tablet.

Are you talking about the firmwre on the camera? If so, yes definitely update the firmware! Resetting won't fix the problem. But, it'll give you a new baseline with which to load the updated firmware.

Next question....seems that both wifi and bluetooth are needed for remote control of the camera. How does that interfere with ADS-B that uses wifi? Can I have the iPhone controlling the camera using wifi and the iPad using the ADS-B wifi?

Wifi signals often coexist happily. If you live in a city, think of how many wifi routers are in close proximity and work just fine. As long as you don't want to connect one device to two wifi devices at the same time, you're fine.

I just transfer my media directly from the micro SD to the iPad using an SD card reader dongle. Much faster, not gimicky.

Although I’ve rarely used the app to control the camera (battery life suffers), I have stumbled thru getting it to work properly.

That said, make sure you have latest camera firmware and latest app version. If you have that camera already listed in the app, delete and create a new one.

The GoPro software sucks. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it takes 10 tries, sometimes it connects on try #5 when you have no idea what you did to make it work, and sometimes nothing works until you uninstall and reinstall the software. I've switched to cheap GoPro clones from Akaso, their software also isn't perfect but its a lot more reliable than GoPro's.

I'm really surprised somebody isn't offering a simple aftermarket software alternative to control GoPros.

Had a lot of problems with the 7 as well... returned a new faulty one and got complete run down refurbished ones back, did it 5 times. Problem is still there.

About the connections: So I found that the fix is doing a reset of all connection settings and re-pairing the devices.

I am never going to spend anything on this company again!

Back