GoPro prices?

sarangan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew, CFI-I
In 2018 I bought a GoPro Hero5 Session for $199. I thought that was pretty steep for a cube camera. Today that same camera is going for $685 on Amazon. The cheapest I could find was $300 on Ebay. Afterall it is a 4 year old technology. Anyone know what is going on?

inflation is at 5% YoY. Welcome to the suck, prole.

/TC

Last edited:
Isn't the Hero on version 8 or something?

If you want a camera that size, are there any other options that come close to its performance?

You can find Hero 9 bundles for $349 without looking too hard. I waited and stumbled across an open box unit for $310. It's a WAY better camera then my hero 5.

You can find Hero 9 bundles for $349 without looking too hard. I waited and stumbled across an open box unit for $310.

I bought a refurb Hero 8 for $285.

It's a WAY better camera then my hero 5.

Oh, HAY-EL yes. This video contrasts the stabilization of the Hero 5 and the Hero 8.

Ron Wanttaja

I'm slowly switching over to the DJI OSMO action camera.

Less expensive, solid build, 4k, image stabilization.

Also Testing the drift ghost cans that boast 5-8 hour battery life depending on the model.

Pretty much over gopro's at this point.

If you want a camera that size, are there any other options that come close to its performance?

No, not really. The 5 Session is kind of niche product. I have two of them and they are really great for some footage due to the small size. I'm sorry they stopped developing them further. It was not supposed to compete with the normal GoPro Hero and similar cameras mentioned above.

I am also replacing my gopro and activeon golds with the Drift Ghost X. Standard battery life 5 hours, can buy the extended life battery 8 hours.

Drift Ghost X 1.jpg Drift Ghost X.jpg

In 2018 I bought a GoPro Hero5 Session for $199. I thought that was pretty steep for a cube camera. Today that same camera is going for $685 on Amazon. The cheapest I could find was $300 on Ebay. Afterall it is a 4 year old technology. Anyone know what is going on?

Interesting! I bought two new back then; maybe I should sell them...

No, not really. The 5 Session is kind of niche product. I have two of them and they are really great for some footage due to the small size. I'm sorry they stopped developing them further. It was not supposed to compete with the normal GoPro Hero and similar cameras mentioned above.

Right; I got the Session because of its footprint. I figured if I was going to strap something to the outside of my plane, the smaller the better. Then again, it goes on an already-draggy part of an overpowered 182 most of the time, so probably I shouldn't care so much.

Oh, HAY-EL yes. This video contrasts the stabilization of the Hero 5 and the Hero 8.

This is the biggest thing that ****es me off about the Session, and has me looking for alternatives: jello and vibration. I can fix a decent amount of it in FCP in post, but have been looking for real-world aviation examples of the newer image stabilization. That looks amazing. (Though with how rarely I record video, I'm not sure it's worth a new camera purchase...)

I am also replacing my gopro and activeon golds with the Drift Ghost X. Standard battery life 5 hours, can buy the extended life battery 8 hours.

Do you mount those cameras outside the plane? How is vibration and jello? Closer to the Hero 5 or Hero 8 in Ron W's post above?

I have a hero 8, and the stabilization is fantastic. This is a vid where I did some mild offroad on the GS, and the vids are very stable even when the bike is bouncing around some. Also, road, and engine vibration are not evident at all. I mount the Hero 8 to the handlebar using a short RAM arm and the standard little rubber RAM ball mounts.

View attachment 98204 View attachment 98205

I bought the entry level one and the battery life is amazing however that one lacks image stabilization so lots of Jello in the video.
I am going to get the 4K+ w/ image stabilization and see if it is better. It shows 3 hour battery life.

stabilization is a must for a plane mounted camera.

Do you mount those cameras outside the plane? How is vibration and jello? Closer to the Hero 5 or Hero 8 in Ron W's post above?

Way too much Jello on the non stabilized version.
I am going to try the higher end one and either sell the Drift XL or just use it as a backup.
I like that you can rotate the lens so attaachment angle is a non issue

You can find Hero 9 bundles for $349 without looking too hard. I waited and stumbled across an open box unit for $310. It's a WAY better camera then my hero 5.

+1 on pricing and improvements over Hero 5.

I have a hero 8, and the stabilization is fantastic.
Have to share this second example of Hero 8 stabilization. The camera is solidly attached to the aircraft. I was on downwind, with someone reporting on the 45, and I rocked my wings to help them spot me. Note how the Gopro held the horizon steady as the airplane apparently rotates...
Ron Wanttaja

Also Testing the drift ghost cans that boast 5-8 hour battery life depending on the model.

Have you paid any attention to the ability to record Bluetooth audio? I have a Garmin audio panel that pipes very clear audio directly to my Virb, even if it's mounted outside the plane, but they stopped making the Virb. I can live without the G3X on-screen start/stop controls for the camera, but don't really want to spend a ton of money on a camera that requires adding cords around my cockpit to get audio into it.

it looks like right now GoPro is offering $350 for the Hero 9 bundle on their website new…

Came here to say this. Also is much more reliable than gopro.

Osmo Action - DJI

Ah, they’re finally putting screens on the front of the camera. Not sure why they bother with them on the back anymore, that’s useless for the typical user of these. ;)

Came here to say this. Also is much more reliable than gopro.

Osmo Action - DJI
Outside of operator error I have not had any reliability issues with my GoPro cameras. I own five at this point, spread out over about 7 years. I actually started with a Drift camera on my motorcycle trips. I love the lens you can twist. P*** poor reliability. Went to the factory twice. Can't keep it running for more than a few minutes in actual use so it gathers dust.

I have two of the small Gopro Session cameras, bought reconditioned on eBay. I have captured some fantastic footage on them, solidly mounted on the wing tips. Other than battery life under an hour I think they're a great value.

Outside of operator error I have not had any reliability issues with my GoPro cameras. I own five at this point, spread out over about 7 years. I actually started with a Drift camera on my motorcycle trips. I love the lens you can twist. P*** poor reliability. Went to the factory twice. Can't keep it running for more than a few minutes in actual use so it gathers dust.

I have two of the small Gopro Session cameras, bought reconditioned on eBay. I have captured some fantastic footage on them, solidly mounted on the wing tips. Other than battery life under an hour I think they're a great value.

I think most of the issues I have with Go Pros are heat related, but not all. The damn things are just not reliable IMO. That Osmo hasn't failed me yet.

Want to know a fun hack that can save you some money?

Look for a GoPro called a "GoPro 2018".
Its pretty cheap and it is really a GoPro Hero 5 Black with software restrictions limiting it to reduced performance.

There is a software update you can download to it, restart it and it becomes a GoPro Hero 5 Black.

Here is the link to the update:
https://gethypoxic.com/blogs/technical/latest-gopro-hero-is-actually-a-gopro-hero5

Holy crap, I think my go pros fail at least as often as they perform as expected.

Back