GoPro Hero7 intercom audio recording only one-sided?

RobertK

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RobertK
Hi all,

I just started taking flying lessons in NorCal. To improve my learning, I decided to record cockpit video and audio, which allows me to go back to any point of time in the lesson.

On my last flight I hooked up a GoPro Hero7 to the cabin ceiling and using a Nflightcam audio cable specifically mentioning my Hero7. To be clear, I am not expecting Dolby Surround Sound, but I was surprised that the left audio signal was recorded, while on my headset both sides worked properly. Everything was connected correctly and there was no noise or anything on the right channel.

Did anyone experience a similar issue and if so, how did you fix it?

Since I only have access to the plane for flight lessons, I have not much time to fiddle around and make my instructor wait...

Thanks a lot for your inputs!
Robert

Can you just change your output audio to be Mono, or duplicate the left channel onto the right? The audio content is likely the same on the L-R channels of the intercom unless you've got one of the fancy audio panels that can simulate different source locations for different radios.

I have had similar problems. My fixes were to make sure the plugs were all the way in. Oops. Maybe try another jack?

Hi all,

I just started taking flying lessons in NorCal. To improve my learning, I decided to record cockpit video and audio, which allows me to go back to any point of time in the lesson.

On my last flight I hooked up a GoPro Hero7 to the cabin ceiling and using a Nflightcam audio cable specifically mentioning my Hero7. To be clear, I am not expecting Dolby Surround Sound, but I was surprised that the left audio signal was recorded, while on my headset both sides worked properly. Everything was connected correctly and there was no noise or anything on the right channel.
Does the GoPro record in stereo? Seems like it would be designed to interface to one microphone at time. Will it actually record two audio tracks simultaneously?

Ron Wanttaja

Does the GoPro record in stereo? Seems like it would be designed to interface to one microphone at time. Will it actually record two audio tracks simultaneously?

Can't speak for the cable in question, but the gopro itself does have stereo capabilities.

Can easily be fixed with an editing program.

Is your cable stereo or mono? (Is there one black line near the end of the connector, or two?)

The audio is mono so really, there is no value in a stereo recording...copy it to the other track and move on.

The cable is dual channel capable stereo for sure. If I hook the GoPro to my iPad audio, it records it in stereo (or dual channel) so to say.
I flew in a different plane (same type C172S) last Friday with the same results.

The audio is mono so really, there is no value in a stereo recording...copy it to the other track and move on.

Are you saying that the planes wiring are providing only single channel audio and the headsets just duplicate the audio to the right and left earpiece?

The cable is dual channel capable stereo for sure. If I hook the GoPro to my iPad audio, it records it in stereo (or dual channel) so to say.
I flew in a different plane (same type C172S) last Friday with the same results.

Are you saying that the planes wiring are providing only single channel audio and the headsets just duplicate the audio to the right and left earpiece?

No. Voice is mono. Aviation radio is mono. XM is stereo. In order for a listener in a aircraft to enjoy stereo, the jacks have to wired for stereo. That is not a standard feature of aircraft.

No. Voice is mono. Aviation radio is mono. XM is stereo. In order for a listener in a aircraft to enjoy stereo, the jacks have to wired for stereo. That is not a standard feature of aircraft.

Most of the latest-generation audio panels are in stereo, so they can put the different channels in different spots.

Back