Gopro Hero 4 settings?

JM93

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
John M
For those that use GoPro to record their flight videos from inside what settings do you keep the camera at and which case do you like to use? I would be using with nflight audio recorder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is what I use for my Hero5 Black

30fps
linear
no prop filter as it's a twin
When you plug in the audio it's automatic. If you want to be certain go to the app that's connected remotely to the camera and verify the audio is working. Otherwise you will have to wait till you edit. For whatever reason I've had a couple flights where the audio didn't record...probably just didn't seat all the connections appropriately.

Toy with it and see what works best for you. The stabilization works great as I've had some seriously rough flights look fairly smooth. The auto night mode seems to work well as the night flight I recorded to MDW was done with the same settings and turned out better than I expected.

1080p 30fps

Here’s 3 nearly identical approaches with 3 different fields of view.

Last one most closely coincides with what a pilot actually sees, IMHO. Wider views look cool but make approaches appear lower and flatter than in real life.

1080p 30fps

Here’s 3 nearly identical approaches with 3 different fields of view.

Last one most closely coincides with what a pilot actually sees, IMHO. Wider views look cool but make approaches appear lower and flatter than in real life.

First two definitely look flatter than the last. I didn't realize the GoPro had the different wide angle settings.

Can any of you that are gopro’ing it tell me how you are mounting it? I have a hero 4 black with a brunton battery extender. I think it would be a cool way to get some great footage, vids/stills. I have a variety of mounts from a high altitude ballooning project.

I use the suction cup to attach the GoPro to the inside of the flat vertical side of my 172's windshield. That gives a good "pilot's-eye-view".

That looks simple enough. Thanks.

I saw someone easily post about a “prop filter”. Never heard of that. But will be looking into as well

I use the GoPro app on my phone to control it.
Also, mine has a "feature". I have a 10,000 mah battery back-up, but you have to start recording before you hook it up or the GoPro won't recharge from it.
1080 30fps, no wide angle for me. Maybe I should try it.

I have a Fotga Adjustable Neutral (prop) Filter.
It works fine, but you need to adjust it for every flight, and even then it will "change" with different light intensities as you fly.

Appreciate everyone's feedback! Looks like I'll be doing some experiments this weekend if the weather holds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back