GoPro Head Mount for Aerobatics?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Has anyone every used the GoPro Head Mount for Aerobatics? I see quite a few aerobatic videos online using this, but there is no chin strap so I am surprised they don't fall off?

519GMhekG6L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

The aerobatics I've done would make any added weight to my head very uncomfortable!

The aerobatics I've done would make any added weight to my head very uncomfortable!

Ehh you'd be surprised the new GoPros are very light. And it doesn't sit on top of your head it is on your forehead. In fact I just realized that if you watch the Flight Chops Pitts video the owner of the plane is wearing the same setup I am considering.

Patty Wagstaff uses sticky mounts. I don't know if she's lost cameras, but that's how she does it.

Oh, disregard. I thought you were talking about mounting on the aircraft.

Has anyone every used the GoPro Head Mount for Aerobatics? I see quite a few aerobatic videos online using this, but there is no chin strap so I am surprised they don't fall off?

I have. I don't do any negative G maneuvers beyond the -1 that occurs briefly during a Cuban eight or a slow roll. I do fly open cockpit, so I made a chin "safety" strap. It has not been called on to do it's thing so far. I do find the head band slightly uncomfortable though and don't use it as much as I thought I would.

Ernie

Edit: I have a very small cockpit and putting it on or taking it off after take-off is not happening. So I have to wear it or not for the entire flight. The weight of the camera is not an issue, just the headband.

Last edited:
Generally most of the guys use a helmet like a Bonehead Composites helmet and have the GoPro mount.

I do a ton of acro and dislike the GoPros because of the awkwardness of the various helmet mounting schemes they have. I've used instead ReplayXD and TomTom Bandit cameras; both work well enough that my GoPros are resigned to fixed mounting points elsewhere about the aircraft.

you can search on ebay or aliexpress for helmet gopro mounts, you will find pages upon pages of different style mounts.
that one mouth guard is funny, is that actually a product they sell?

i use a regular go pro head strap. it is really tight but i have never had any issues with it coming off positive and/or negative g's. i like to record all my flights so i can go back and watch them over and over to learn from my mistakes.

Back