GoPro HD Hero2 Resolution Settings

ainokea

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ainokea
I just bought me the HD Hero2 (surf edition) for use when I go flying and when I go surfing. I bought the suction cup mount for the plane. I was wondering what resolution everyone is using for best viewing and uploading to youtube. I don't have any video editing software except for Windows Movie Maker which comes with Windows 7. Will that do or should I find an affordable video editing software? Thanks! :)

Hi,

I recommend to use the r3 (1280 x 720 50 / 60 Hz) setting.
This setting creates footage in the now practically standard 16:9 format. The high frame rate of 50 / 60 Hz reduces the annoying wobbling effect, which you can see on many videos and which is caused by vibrations.
As the whole optics of the GoPro isn't too sophisticated, this setting doesn't cause any visible reduction of the video's resolution compared to the 1920x1080 25 / 30 Hz setting.

If possible, I would not use the suction mount outside of the aircraft. While it is generally able to handle the airspeed of a typical GA plane, you can never be 100% sure that it doesn't leak after a while because of some minor dirt parts under the sealing surfaces.
If you lose it - bad luck. If you lose it and it hurts somebody, you're f----d - and the video evidence is laying right next to the casualty.
The suction mount also tends to vibrate in the airstream, what again causes wobbling effects.

I use therefore a home made, strong clamp for the wing strut and / or one of the adhesive mounts, after cleaning the surface with window cleaner. The adhesive mounts can be removed be cutting the foam layer with a thin cutter knife, without leaving any trace.

Here are pictures of my installations (scroll down, right side):
http://vimeo.com/18855219

Cheers,

Oliver

While you are checking out Oliver's setup, also check out his videos. He has made some of the best GA videos out there, well edited, good choice of audio (not just the drone of the engine), and excellent points of view. Some airplane videos out there I can only make it through 30 seconds or so, but Oliver's videos capture my attention to the end.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thank you, Tony. I'm glad you like my videos. :)

Cheers, Oliver

Hey wait a minute, the cockpit cam has you in the right seat but the strut cam has you in the left! How'd you do that?:wink2:

Thanks for the info Oliver! I've seen your videos before I even bought my GoPro. I'm just gonna mount the GoPro in the cabin with a microphone in my headset. Also what software are you using for editing? Thanks again!

Thanks for the info Oliver! I've seen your videos before I even bought my GoPro. I'm just gonna mount the GoPro in the cabin with a microphone in my headset. Also what software are you using for editing? Thanks again!

My favorite editing software is Sony Vegas Pro, as it makes good use of my computer's hardware and allows judder-free editing of the GoPro footage. I also like the user interface, what is however a personal preference.
Other programs (including the entry level Sony solutions) did not provide fluent editing on my hardware. You might want to try a demo version before purchasing the software...

I record cockpit audio using my Android cell phone a software called TapeMachine and a home made adapter cable which I connect to one of the passenger headset sockets. I built a basic resistor circuit in the cable to bring down the audio level.
If you are into electronics or if you know somebody who is, this is the way to go, IMHO. The audio quality is way better than from a microphone in the headset and free of engine noise.
If you want some engine noise in your video, you could either mix in the audio from the GoPro or, better, record the audio while flying a traffic pattern and recycle this recording whenever you need it. The separate recording of the engine noise also allows you to adjust its level in your video.

All of the audio in this video is recorded with the described setup:
http://vimeo.com/18855219

Cheers,

Oliver

How did you get the prop to blur better than stock Oliver?

Also I don't know what it is, but all my in cockpit videos seem to be real dark. Your in cockpit, as well as others I have seen have been great. I am recording on r3 as well... Any ideas what could be causing that?

Right now I'm still using the default r4 mode. I'm shooting in 3D

Back