GoPro Fusion, Anyone?

Keith Ward

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Druvanius
Anyone using a GoPro Fusion (the 360-degree model) to shoot flying video? I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it works, if you feel it's worth it, your must-have accessories with it, etc.

I'd be specially interested in knowing if the dual-camera nature of it means you can edit the video as if you were using a two-camera setup. I'd imagine you can, given that it *is* two cameras, but having confirmation of how well this works would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I thought about it, but went with the 7 Black instead. I think the fusion is more of a gimmick and it takes a pretty good computer to edit the footage.

Not first hand usage, but several guys in the Paramotoring world are using them for some amazing shots...but sounds like it takes a LOT of processing power, stitching, and rending time to get any useable footage which is why I shied away. While uber cool technology, it is not as plug and play or user friendly as they would make it seem for the casual editor.

I thought about it, but went with the 7 Black instead. I think the fusion is more of a gimmick and it takes a pretty good computer to edit the footage.
I've been looking at the Black as well, but I like the idea of having one camera in the cockpit instead of two for multi-angle video. The reviews I've seen of the Fusion don't seem to think it's a gimmick, although it has its limitations for sure.

@Shawn -- Fortunately, I have a very powerful MacBook Pro for editing, and a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud, which gives me access to Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects, etc.

I bought a 360 camera and returned it.

It is really only good for making those 360 videos you pan around the video with.
My take is that those are sort of a gimmick.

I didn't find the quality of is as a straight on camera very good at all.
Mine wasn't goPro but I don't remember the brand. I think it was $400 ish.

I haven't messed with one in about six months, here's some notes from then.

The worst part is you can't attach a lens filter, idk maybe you can but it wouldn't be easy. If you fly a single prop plane it's nice to have an ND filter to blur the prop.

It is two cameras, two memory cards also. Only one battery though ;) So to answer your question yes each card will have 180 video from each camera.

If you do 5.2K H.265 you'll need a $5,000 computer (minimums) to edit on. If you do 5.2K H.264 it's not much worse than editing 4K video. I don't have experience with the mobile phone editing app, it sounds pretty bad.

The datalogger is sucky. If you want the data, you'll be stringing multiple CSV files together to make one file. GoPro doesn't mention this, or how underdeveloped it is. On top of that, you'll end up using 3rd party software to get the data overlay on your video.

The best thing it has going for itself is that the stitching is perfect. Even objects close to it are seamless. That and image stabilization is unparalleled. Battery life isn't bad. You'll need special cables for ICS audio. A GoPro clip mount is a great way to mount it.

Not many people watch 360 video, and that's okay. You can post a flat 16:9 video from the 360 footage that looks great, with the option to show whatever angle you want.

I took one for a couple of flights, it was fun. I used racerender to overlay the data-logger data after the painstaking task of compiling it. I borrowed it from a friend. As much fun as it was, I'm glad it was borrowed. 1 GoPro with ICS audio has always been enough for me.

"with the option to show whatever angle you want."
Not many people watch 360 video, and that's okay. You can post a flat 16:9 video from the 360 footage that looks great, with the option to show whatever angle you want.
For me, this is the key, @JonH -- Let's say I want to show the view from the pilot's point of view, as in your picture above. Then I want to cut to an angle out the right window, then cut to the panel. Can you do that with the Fusion?

It sounds like you have your mind made up already, but I’ve never cared for any aviation video shot in 360.

@CC268 -- I appreciate the feedback. Why is that? You don't have to use that feature, so what is it that bothers you?

Your trading a lot of other features for the 360 feature. Just take a look at GoPro's comparison table. The Hero 7 Black's Hypersmooth alone is enough justification to go with the Hero 7 Black, unless you just absolutely need 360.

The better question is...what exactly are you going to use this for?

@CC268 -- I'll be using it strictly for flying videos, from inside the cockpit. I think the ability to get more angles from one camera is a key for me. With the Fusion, it essentially functions as multiple cams. With the 7 Black, it's just one angle. I'd need to buy multiple cams, which would cost a lot more. And I've seen the stabilization from the Fusion; it's awesome (I've checked out a lot of videos of it). I also like the ability to give viewers multiple viewing options; if they like the ability to see a wider view, they can.

Please keep bringing up your questions/concerns, too. I need to hear them, and am grateful that you're taking the time!

@CC268 -- I'll be using it strictly for flying videos, from inside the cockpit. I think the ability to get more angles from one camera is a key for me. With the Fusion, it essentially functions as multiple cams. With the 7 Black, it's just one angle. I'd need to buy multiple cams, which would cost a lot more. And I've seen the stabilization from the Fusion; it's awesome (I've checked out a lot of videos of it). I also like the ability to give viewers multiple viewing options; if they like the ability to see a wider view, they can.

Please keep bringing up your questions/concerns, too. I need to hear them, and am grateful that you're taking the time!

The 7 Black can be setup to view the whole cockpit, but I understand your thoughts on being able to get more angles. Worst case you could get a Fusion. If you don't like it, sell it and get something else.

To be honest, I think most folks are finding the 360 cams to be a bit obnoxious for viewing, but maybe in the coming years, it will become more common and useful.

Your a student pilot right? I don't necessarily think its a bad idea to be recording your lessons for debriefing purposes, but don't get caught up in filming.

The 7 Black can be setup to view the whole cockpit, but I understand your thoughts on being able to get more angles. Worst case you could get a Fusion. If you don't like it, sell it and get something else.

To be honest, I think most folks are finding the 360 cams to be a bit obnoxious for viewing, but maybe in the coming years, it will become more common and useful.

Your a student pilot right? I don't necessarily think its a bad idea to be recording your lessons for debriefing purposes, but don't get caught up in filming.

Not a student -- a very rusty, very lapsed pilot. Kids are grown, and it's time to get back in the air!

Here's an example of where the Fusion works well. The mount is a bit shaky, but you get shots that would normally require multiple cameras. Not sure how applicable to GA.

Not a student -- a very rusty, very lapsed pilot. Kids are grown, and it's time to get back in the air!

Ahh okay makes sense.

As you can tell...a lot of folks aren't big on 360. But if you have your mind set on one then go try one!

Here's an example of where the Fusion works well. The mount is a bit shaky, but you get shots that would normally require multiple cameras. Not sure how applicable to GA.

Well that's pretty. Subscribed.

What’s that black paddle thing?

What’s that black paddle thing?

That's an instrument pod. GPS, variometer, altimeter and airspeed. You can see one near my right hand in my avatar.

"with the option to show whatever angle you want."

For me, this is the key, @JonH -- Let's say I want to show the view from the pilot's point of view, as in your picture above. Then I want to cut to an angle out the right window, then cut to the panel. Can you do that with the Fusion?

Yes.

Don’t discount the Garmin VIRB 360. Not only does it pair via Bluetooth with Garmin audio panels and avionics for onboard audio and additional sensors, but it also has a great (and simple) editing software. It also has internal GPS and accelerometers, and can overlay sensor data on the video in a variety of fashions, if desired.

It’s super simple, small, durable, and has internal stabilization so you can get close to a finished product with little hassle.

Back