GoPro camera on the headset.... attemp 2

maduro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Maduro
Here is my second attempt at mounting a GoPro on my headset. I mounted it directly on one of the headset bolts. This one is closer to eye level. I don't even see the camera in my peripheral vision.

What the video looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubMCiBOfefk&feature=youtu.be

gopro.headset2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. Better location than the first attempt.

Relax the death grip on the yoke, one hand on the throttle during the takeoff.

Looks good. Better location than the first attempt.

Relax the death grip on the yoke, one hand on the throttle during the takeoff.

You guys are gonna make him so self conscious he'll never post another video! lol

Thanx all for your helpful hints!!

maduro

That's an excellent way to tape a video for training. But you open yourself up to all us armchair quarterbacks....

One thing I noticed is you pulled out on the runway and stopped. I never do that. When I roll on the runway, the pre-flight is done, and it's go time. Sitting there is dangerous.

That's an excellent way to tape a video for training. But you open yourself up to all us armchair quarterbacks....

One thing I noticed is you pulled out on the runway and stopped. I never do that. When I roll on the runway, the pre-flight is done, and it's go time. Sitting there is dangerous.

Really?? I was told to step on the brakes, go full throttle to check oil pressure and suction... then go. That's what I was going.

Maduro

Do like they do in some surf videos and hook it up to a popsicle stick and put it in your mouth. :D Get a better view from there.

What about short field? Just sayin

I fly tail dragger, i take my time to make sure im straight before full power. Things get real interesting when u get in a hurry. I do one last quick check pf everything before giving her the go

Really?? I was told to step on the brakes, go full throttle to check oil pressure and suction... then go. That's what I was going.

Maduro

I use the same camera view, but I just use the gopro head strap. You may like that better as it would take the weight off your headset.

Are you checking those things (oil pressure, suction, etc) in your run-up just prior to entering the runway?

I'm a student as well and as the other poster mentioned, I was taught to keep rolling and throttle up when lined up. The only exception being a short field takeoff where I stop and throttle before takeoff.

Also I was told from the very beginning to never take my hand off the throttle until above 2000' AGL.

Does look like a great day to fly. :yes: Wish the weather around me this week was like that. :sad:

What does it take to get audio included though the head set?
I liked the flight and corrections.

What does it take to get audio included though the head set?
I liked the flight and corrections.

I just bought one of these microphones and rigged it inside one of my ear cups and plug into the gopro. works great because you can hear the plane and hear everything you hear in your headset. I have the Hero2 which has an audio jack in the side. I think you need an adapter for the Hero 3.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13007809

You can also buy a splitter that splices into one of your headset cords, then the other end runs to the mic input of the camera. I have one, just haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Wow! Great job on the mount - will have to try that. This seems like the perfect excuse for me to get another GoPro and use it in conjunction with my suction cup mounted one on the side window. :)

?.. I think you need an adapter for the Hero 3.
Yep, the Hero 3 uses mini USB (which, honestly is a bit of a pain but it works).

I fly tail dragger, i take my time to make sure im straight before full power. Things get real interesting when u get in a hurry. I do one last quick check pf everything before giving her the go

I find I get off shorter if I start rolling in the power as I start the turn from the taxiway.

I find I get off shorter if I start rolling in the power as I start the turn from the taxiway.

my tailwheel is a free caster. I gotta idle till she is straight. If I don't, she get real squarely. Every plane acts different, this is how I fly mine:)

The splitter I have is just like that one. But it was a little more because for some odd reason I couldn't find it at a "local" online place and ended getting it from an outfit in Australia through ebay.

ferrari, when you plug that into your hero 3, I assume it disables the microphone on the camera and only picks up on the audio that plays through the headsets and headset microphones, correct? I haven't had a chance to use mine.

:rolleyes2:

I can't believe something as simple as a short video like this could get comments on how to taxi out onto the runway.

Sometimes it seems like the only difference between this forum and the old crazy guys on the airport benches...is you can't see the benches.

Maduro - Nice vid, have fun.

ok, I'll say it.........I'm not a fan of head mounted cameras at all. find a good spot to "hard" mount it, or find 2 spots to mount 2 cameras and switch between the 2 when editing. that's just my opinion, although I'd rather see head mounted video than no video. please don't hate...just my $.02.

ok, I'll say it.........I'm not a fan of head mounted cameras at all. find a good spot to "hard" mount it, or find 2 spots to mount 2 cameras and switch between the 2 when editing. that's just my opinion, although I'd rather see head mounted video than no video. please don't hate...just my $.02.

Hello Eman1200,

The head mounted camera has its merits for sure, but if your looking for an external fixed mount have a look here.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1197163&postcount=156

I want to be respectful of the original posters efforts to make a head mounted GoPro and not hijack his thread, so anyone needing questions please PM me or reply to the thread on the link above.

Last edited:
Can I recommend looking at final before pulling onto the runway?

Maduro

Its all personal preference. Personally I don't stop and hold the brakes but I do take a moment to glance at my DG and the runway numbers. Good practice to make sure I am on the correct runway. Several night accidents have occurred (including a few airliners) where the pilot departed on the wrong runway.

Of course if you sit on the runway more than is reasonable to do a quick check or two, not really a great idea. Also you will find it to be smoother and more easily controlled if you roll the throttle on as you accelerate. Just a slow and steady application over the course of 5 seconds, versus going wide open and releasing the brakes.

Only reason for going FT while holding brakes should be a short field takeoff.

ferrari, when you plug that into your hero 3, I assume it disables the microphone on the camera and only picks up on the audio that plays through the headsets and headset microphones, correct? I haven't had a chance to use mine.

Yep cuts out all cabin and external noise. If you are controlling your gopro with your I-phone though make sure you turn the volume on the phone down or you hear everything back on a delay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7gb9pVb7xk

Last edited:
Its all personal preference. Personally I don't stop and hold the brakes but I do take a moment to glance at my DG and the runway numbers. Good practice to make sure I am on the correct runway. Several night accidents have occurred (including a few airliners) where the pilot departed on the wrong runway.

Of course if you sit on the runway more than is reasonable to do a quick check or two, not really a great idea. Also you will find it to be smoother and more easily controlled if you roll the throttle on as you accelerate. Just a slow and steady application over the course of 5 seconds, versus going wide open and releasing the brakes.

Only reason for going FT while holding brakes should be a short field takeoff.

My instructor has me do the same. One last full throttle check with brakes applied to check things then go. Occasionally we get the takeoff clearance without delay and I don't do it. I thought that since we just did a runup check prior to entering why do we do it again while sitting on the runway centerline. I mentioned once to my instructor that it seems we were the only ones doing this procedure and his reply was not everyone fly's by the book anymore. He is an old school instructor and maybe some of his methods are holdovers from the past. But then again he has been flying for a very long time so it seems to work for him... So I guess I will continue.

:rolleyes2:

I can't believe something as simple as a short video like this could get comments on how to taxi out onto the runway.

Sometimes it seems like the only difference between this forum and the old crazy guys on the airport benches...is you can't see the benches.

Maduro - Nice vid, have fun.

Why would you sit on a bench? We use recliners at my airport:rolleyes::D:D

Yep cuts out all cabin and external noise. If you are controlling your gopro with your I-phone though make sure you turn the volume on the phone down or you hear everything back on a delay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7gb9pVb7xk

Thanks. I got a full lesson recorded on Sunday, and it does indeed work as you say.

I have learned to only use the phone to do the initial camera setup and settings/aiming, then just use the button on the camera to turn it on and record. The wi-fi is a battery sucker.

I mentioned once to my instructor that it seems we were the only ones doing this procedure and his reply was not everyone fly's by the book anymore. He is an old school instructor and maybe some of his methods are holdovers from the past. But then again he has been flying for a very long time so it seems to work for him... So I guess I will continue.

You don't need to hold the brakes to do a full throttle power check. It happens about 3 seconds into each takeoff roll I make.

I'm not saying its wrong, just does not seem necessary and IMO doing a full throttle static runup every takeoff is an invitation for crap on the ramp to ding your prop. Applying the throttle smoothly during the roll decreases the amount of stuff that gets sucked into the prop (its in many POH's)

Do what makes your instructor happy though. This is a personal preference thing and I just figured i'd throw in my .02

I've found that a mass in motion is accelerated faster than a mass at rest. Thus a shorter takeoff run than holding the brakes, and starting the roll from a ded stop.

I don't know. I had the camera charged and th battery back charged yesterday. Recording at 720p and 60fps, I captured 1.3 hours and the battery was just about toast.

I should experiment to see how much the wifi shortens that.

I guess it just depends how long of a video you want to take.

Back